“Better just for a night or two”

Hotel Weisses Kreuz
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Interlaken
Leeds
“Better just for a night or two”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were booked in here by a travel agents, as part of a 2 week tour, as a base for visiting the local mountains- Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg, Schiedigge Platte etc, doing some walking and biking. In this respect, the hotel was ideally located. However, we were staying 5 nights and the weather was in the 30s.
The rooms, while spacious and clean, with comfy beds, have no air con and for some unknown reason, no blinds or shutters, just lightweight curtains. This meant the room was never properly dark, and was very light early in the morning. It was also difficult to sleep due to the heat. The other problem is the nature of the hotel as it seems to be used as a transit hotel. People were arriving very late and leaving early, meaning we were woken around 1.30 and again at 5 as people came and left. It was not the hotel's fault that guests chose to talk at the top of their voices despite the unsocial hours. With hindsight, we would have asked for a quieter location in a quieter place.
Breakfast was fine, if basic, but the coffee and selection of breads were excellent, as was the breakfast service.
Wifi is free but restricted to the reception area. The receptionist was happy to lend us an adapter for our room to charge phones etc as ours didn't fit the type of socket.
The hotel seems a little tired- it could do with a bit of a make over - but as I said, as most guests seemed to be staying for a short time, they probably didn't notice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

The staff at the hotel were really friendly, and the hotel was great. The staff got us a map and even showed us the way.
The hotel was at a great location, about a 2 minute walk from the train station. Around the hotel was a convenience store, McDonalds and many many souvenir shops. The hotel was about a 10 minute walk from the Interlaken Ost station, were you can buy tickets to Jungfraujoch.
The hotel itself was quite small, and to be honest I was a bit hesitant to step in the old rickety elevator, and the rooms were quite small. The beds were also small but comfy, so it was quite nice. My room had a spectacular view, and was very brightly lit. The bathroom was small but clean, complete with a bathtub.
The breakfasts did not have a huge variety, but it was enough. The lobby had wifi, and so did the restaurant. There was a pizza restaurant on the bottom, but we did not bother to go.
I really like this hotel since there is a really clever key system, since you have to get an outside key and lock your room key, and change it if you go in or go out.
The only thing I do that I do not like about this hotel is that the rooms are a little too small for a long stay, but perfect for a small one. The lobby was also not smoke free, so it was okay. The breakfast maybe could have a bit more food, but is was fine since it was a small hotel. I would give this hotel a 7.5/10

• Stayed December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel fo two days. The hotel is expensive for what I booked. It does not have internet in rooms. Rooms are very small with very very small bathrooms.

The only advantage is the hotel is near to station.

Breakfast was good as it served hot breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Interlaken hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Interlaken two other occasions both very pleasant. This year I visited the town in last min. And did not have a reservation.
As I walked in the manager greeted us and was very pleasant and helpful.
The issues came up after I agreed to stay. At check in I requested a four night stay, she agreed and came me the keys. I asked her for a copy of my agreement, she mentioned I did not need one( shame on me I was suspicious and did nit press for it at that time). She did not even give me the visitor card that entitles you to discounts and free local transportation. I got it on the second day. That is when I saw she had only booked us for three nights. I had asked why and she said they are booked for the following night and I would have to vacate. Very disappointing.
On a side note, the rooms do not have black out shades. in Europe during summer you need them if you plan to go to bed before 10pm.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Interlaken without a hotel booking. We tried the Hotel Kreutz first but could only get 1 night. This is the sister hotel. 3 star, we were on the top floor so it was quite. The bathrooms must have been renovated since the last review, as they were white tiled with a shower over the bath.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.
The staff were excellent and very helpful, and all that including wifi and breakfast for $110 Swiss francs per night!!!!
Only complaint - the towels smelt of smoke

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Expat Americans stayed here one night in the middle of the week. We arrived from Geneva a little after 7:00pm. Loved how easy it was to find and what a very, very short walk it was from train station. Location is right off main road from Interlaken West to Ost. One side of hotel is pedestrian/bike only area with some nice places to sit and eat. The hotel sits above ground level with a great pizzeria/Italian food place right under. Front desk was amazingly friendly and helpful. Our little dog was greeted as well. The WiFi in lobby is free and fast. Next to the lobby is their "guest room" with old fashioned saloon or parlor type feel. Internet and desk top there if needed. Microwave, tea kettle and flat screen TV set to see Jungfrau weather live. We enjoyed this room, rooms are basic but spotlessly clean. Bathroom very nice size, plenty of outlets in room, all Swiss of course. Comforter was great, we each had one as it was twin beds pushed together. I would suggest getting a higher up room which we had with inner courtyard as no noise. BUT...if I was there in the warmer summer weather an outer room would be best up high for breeze. Carpet on stairs badly in some places torn and stained but overall hotel well maintained. Breakfast was NOT good so that is why only the 4 stars. This is not a fancy place but I enjoyed the feel, location, and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed for six nights end of July 2012.
Clean and well run, with the staff friendly and helpful (much more friendly than some posher hotels I've stayed in in Schweiz). Facilities were reasonable - flat screen tv, reception area and lounge wifi and one free internet pc. No air con but rollo blinds help keep room cool during heatwave. Inclusive breakfast ample although not particularly imaginative. There is a good ground floor Italian restaurant. Central location in Interlaken West, which is the livelier of the 2 Interlakens, ten minutes from West station. Standard Guest Card gives free travel around town plus some discounts, and staff were helpful with the maps and leaflets.

They were very helpful when I managed to leave a valuble item behind, which they located and posted to me (at my expense).

No hesitation in staying again, or recomending.

Matt