“Very good centrally located hotel”

Metropole Hotel Interlaken
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Interlaken
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Second time we have stayed at the Metropole with Inghams. This time we were accompanied by our two grown-up daughters who had never before been to Switzerland. Agreed with our description of a concrete monstrosity that redeems itself with friendly staff, lovely breakfasts and the most wonderful views from rooms with balconies. It's fun to watch the paragliders that land in the field opposite. Interlaken is central for Lakes Thun and Brienz and the Bernese Oberland. During our stay we took full advantage of a regional pass that allows for unlimited travel on trains, buses and lake steamers. The Metropole is centrally located with a brilliant Co-op store across the road. We will certainly consider the Metropole again when we next visit Interlaken.

Room Tip: Most rooms have balconies and they are worth the small extra charge for the extraordinary view of th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
metropoleinterlaken, Manager at Metropole Hotel Interlaken, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear mick p

Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor!

It is great to read that you have enjoyed not only the Hotel Metropole but also Interlaken as a destination with its uncountable possibilities

We are looking Forward to hoste you for your next stay in Interlaken!

Warm regards

Marco von Euw

There are newer reviews for Metropole Hotel Interlaken

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is not the type of place you envisage staying in the Swiss Alps. It's not a chalet but a big concrete hotel. I've stayed here 3 times now and I can say they service is excellent and the rooms are comfortable and spacious.
If you're not here specifically to ski but want to see the sights in the area then Metropole is a great base. There are loads of shops in town including a supermarket, bars, cafe's and restaurants. A casino for the gamblers and Hooters nearby! Hooters actually does pretty good food relatively priced.
For skiiers, the breakfast is a must. Eggs cooked anyway you want!
As noted by others, this is not a hotel full of raging 20 somethings so expect a few zimmer frames ;-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ptdee
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The view from the bedroom balcony is fantastic ! The food and service is also excellent. I must agree that the bedrooms are a little dated but, they are roomy and very comfortable. All the shops are just outside the hotel - ok if you like expensive watches !

Room Tip: A high floor will give the best view of the highest mountain.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I am a regular visitor to the Metropole in Interlaken and have posted quite a few reviews, all complementary and I have rated them as 5*. We stayed for another 4 nights at the end of July. The hotel gave me my favourite room on the eighth floor. Some of the neighbours were a bit loud but not speaking Arabic or similar I don’t know what the shouting was about.

This year the Metropol seems to have lost the plot a bit. The staff are all very friendly but we had a succession of small ‘niggles’ that have not occurred in previous visits and should not occur.

On arrival they had forgotten that I had reserved a space in the underground car-park. Not a problem as the car-park was virtually empty but if it had been full I would have had no place to park.

Both access cards refused to let us entry to the floor and room. Reception re programmed them and they worked second time.

The TV remote control was broken. Asked for it to be replaced and it was, quickly,

One day we arrived back in the room and found the hand towels had disappeared. Also there were no shower gel/shampoo toiletries. Asked reception on way out and when we returned we had hand towels but no shower/shampoo?? We couldn’t be bothered at the late hour to report it again. Later however we noticed the bath robes had been taken and not replaced. I complained in the morning and upon our return in the evening the robes were there along with the hand towels and shampoo (only) no body wash/shower gel. Really strange.

Then both our access cards stopped working again. Complained and they were reprogrammed, again.

Last year in my review on Tripadvisor I reported the pool area was a bit dark and dingy. The hotel replied that area was being refurbished therefore I was looking forward to seeing the new pool. Sadly the pool has gone and the area is a gym. Very disappointed. What is strange is that the pre swim showers, i.e. open as you would normally use them with swim suits on are still there in situ. Why would you need those open types in a gym? I never saw anyone in the gym.

I don’t know why, but the public areas had dehumidifiers all over the place. It didn’t look nice in a 4* hotel, but no explanation why they were all on flat out.

For the first time we tried ‘Top O Met’ restaurant. I had previously thought it was a high class black tie establishment but I was wrong. A decent café serving reasonably priced food but nearly empty. Good views.

Had breakfast on one day. Quite expensive but a great selection of hot and cold food. There is an Arabic food table but not being a fan of Halal we gave that food a miss.

As I said the staff were friendly and helpful but all these little niggles spoilt it for us this year. So that is why I was disappointed with this year’s visit. I’ll have to consider staying next door next year which is not really what I want. I want the Metropole to be 5* again.

Room Tip: High floors are best
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Besides the hostel experience, when you can pay for luxury, this is it. Casino right next door, central location to all accessible public transport. Beautiful view from the room. Yummy breakfast spread. Crowd a little on the not so young types. Rest it was worth a night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It was last minute booking and it said 4 star hotel. I checked in and the room doesn't have AC.. Not a single room had AC in the hotel. It's very old and needs to be remodeled to be a 4 star hotel. Location is nice but way too much money for nothing. Try other hotels before booking here.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Metropole late June, beginning of July 2014. The location is superb, right in front of the park. Besides that, the hotel condition is average. Room is clean with balcony but not updated. Lobby is spacious but decoration is funny. Pool and gym were not open due to construction. Kettle has to be checked out from the front desk with a deposit. I don't see the value of a 4 stars hotel. If it were a 3 stars I would rate it higher.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
metropoleinterlaken, Manager at Metropole Hotel Interlaken, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear icicream

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry, you couldn't profit from our new guest area since it was under construction during your stay! In the meantime all our hotel guests can profit from tea and coffee, 24h a day in the new area. Furthermore there is a new fitness centre and Sauna inclueded in the hotel price.

I hope you will keep your stay in Interlaken and at the Hotel Metropole in good memories.

Best regards,