“Great location”
Review of Funny Farm Hotel

Funny Farm Hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Pros:
-location
-helpful staff- booked excursions for us
-close to supermarkets and a good bar
-no curfew

Cons:
-room looked like a prison cell
-12 beds and only 1 toilet and 1 shower
-no lockers in the room

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank H C

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this hostel for me and my friend Juan at the last possible moment. When I arrived at 'Interlaken Ost' train station, I noticed that on the reservation I had no street address. Luckily at the tourist information centre at the station, they directed me and gave me a free map to get to the hostel.

So if you are arriving by train, get off at Interlaken OST and not VEST, and follow these directions: Out of the booking office entrance, and walk across the square with a big block of water flowing everywhere (be careful of the taxis and buses). The road you should be following is 'Allmendstrasse'. Over the next roundabout, and then over the next roundabout with is painted into the road and looks like an old flag of Japan stuck on the road. At the next junction, walk straight across onto 'Kesslergrasse' and then turn right onto 'Metzgergasse' (where the COOP supermarket is). At the next main junction, turn left onto 'Hauptstrasse' and the hotel is on the right hand side. OR you can get the bus but this costs around €3 for a single journey.

On the reservation I booked for two single beds in a dorm. When we arrived the hostel was actually fully booked, but as it was also a hotel, the staff put us into a private room with two single beds at no extra cost! Bonus!

The room was ok, the beds were not the best but I managed to get a good night sleep out of it, and the washroom just did the job, I just hated the shower curtain, that was all. There was a television in there, but only had one American with the other 15 channels all being in German. The major problem which I had was the paper thin walls at night, I could here the neighbours and people partying downstairs when I was trying to get some sleep.

Downstairs there is free internet, and a bar which the drinks weren't that overpriced for Switzerland. Also had a pool table and there was lots of fun to be had here with other guests. I also checked out the restaurant which was behind the bar, and was a bit slow but the food was great and was average priced for the country. The staff were great and got on with them very well.

In all, I think this is a great hostel with a few minor problems, but hey, its cheap and I am still happy with this accommodation after my visit.

Room Tip: Try and get a private room with a balcony so you can get a view of the mountains to the south of the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniel Raymond B
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hostel room is incredibly basic (wire framed bunk beds, just one bathroom). The cost is outrageous (but normal for Interlaken and Switzerland).

The key here is the location. You can walk from the hotel/hostel to the train station to take you up the mountain and that's the key to being in Interlaken. Get up the mountain and spend all your time up there. You just need this place for a bed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jack S
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed at Funny Farm backpackers hostel for two nights while visiting Brienz & the Alps. The lobby and corridors look almost exquisite, however the rooms are average and lack any character whatsoever. The triple room with a bunk bed, cupboard, desk & chair got a bit cramped once the three of us put our bags down. Bathroom was tiny, with common floorspace for the shower, wash basin and toilet bowl. Wireless internet is free to use in the lobby area only, which is not too bad considering you can grab a drink at the adjoining bar whilst satisfying your facebook/twitter cravings and listening to upbeat music. Unable to comment on food as we did not dine at the hostel. Other positives for us included clean room, friendly staff and good location. This place will do if you're looking for somewhere to just have a rest.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Did I seriously make an account just to warn other travellers of my horrific experience at this so-called "hotel"? Yes. Yes I did.

When I first entered Funny Farm Hotel (more like hostel, will be explained later) with my mother and brother, I was intrigued because it actually looked pretty nice, and the lady at the front desk was quite friendly. However, that was just in the beginning.

As the representative English speaker of my family (my mother speaks only Korean and my brother didn't want to bother with it), I went down to the front desk to ask for laundry service. I waited in line, but was shocked at the way the man at the front desk was treating a customer. From what I could make of it, the receptionist wanted a deposit of any amount of money from the Japanese man in exchange for a world wide adaptor. However, the Japanese customer was clearly not fluent in English, and was frustrated as he tried to understand the receptionist's words. The male receptionists, irritation clear on his face, snatched the money from the Japanese man's hands and showed the movement of 'exchanging' as he showed, "You give me money, I give you adaptor. You give me adaptor, I give you money." Mockery was clear in his voice and I was very shocked at his approach, as it was incredibly inappropriate, and, without a doubt, racist! He was rolling his eyes, smirking and speaking purposefully with an accent. The Japanese man was clearly embarrassed! When a new customer approached him, a Caucasian woman with an American accent, he immediately switched into an upright posture and his accent from before was gone.
When it was my turn, I asked for the laundry service. I was told, then, that washing and drying were both 5 euros total, and I had to pay for a special coin for the machine. I suppose 5 euros was sufficient, though I had done laundry service in other hotels/hostels for less than that price. I received my coin and went up to do my laundry only to find out the washing machine could only fit five articles of clothing at one time. Oh, and the dryer also needed a special coin too, even though the male receptionist said that washing AND drying only needed one coin. So I went back down to discuss this with him, when he shrugged and said, "Oh." I then asked for another coin for the dryer. The receptionist then said that there were no more coins left and he would go and get the coin I inserted (because apparently there was only one) 20 minutes later. When I asked what I would have to do with my then-wet laundry, he shrugged and said in a non-chalant voice, "Hang it up?" I sincerely believe that this is absolutely unacceptable, even now while I think about it.

Now, addressing the bedroom and the bathroom. The bedroom was average, but more on the small scale. There were people 'partying' and 'drinking' very loudly up until 4 a.m., preventing my mother (who's a very light sleeper) from getting proper rest. She was tired the entire three days we were there. The bed is very hard, and the blankets smell very musty. The bedsheets have this very rough texture to it, that makes me feel like I'm sleeping on top of bed crumbs.

The bathroom was very messy and dirty when I went inside my room with my mother and brother. There were a string of hair and this brown stain in the bath tub. I couldn't get the stain out no matter how hard I scrubbed, so eventually, I just left it there. I only received ONE towel, and apparently, that was the "foot towel". When I asked for more towels, they asked for money.

Location wise, it's very far away from Interlaken East and Interlaken West, the two main stations of Interlaken. I walked for 30 minutes from Interlaken West, and don't even bother from East. The buses stop from East at around 7, so if you're stuck there, you better find a way to West and then ride a bus to the hostel!

I apologize if this review seems too sarcastic, but this hotel was truly despicable, and not worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bars because my entire nights were filled with cheers and laughter, whi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jee_H0113
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days while hiking the alps/skydiving. It's a great spot to settle in for the evening and relax/ have some drinks. They have entertainment in the evening and a pool to hang out at as well. The sleeping quarters are pretty much as would be expected. Nothing that will blow your hair back but suitable for getting some rest.

Room Tip: Hostel style sleeping.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at Funny Farm for one night after a long day on the mountains. A friend I was with had recommended it as she stayed there on two different occassions. For a 3-bed room (for 3 people) it was about 35 euro. The rooms were clean and we had a nice view of the mountains. The staff was friendly and gave us decent advice on where to eat in town. This would be an ideal place to crash after hitting the slopes. I give it a solid 3.5.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends