“Best easy Hike in Region” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of North face Trail

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Best easy Hike in Region”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is a great easy or warm-up hike and gets you to great views and two different valleys. I would suggest starting toward Spielbodenalp first in the morning (ending at Allmunhundel), and the sun on the mountains is excellent on a nice day (see pictures). Follow the signs out of Murren, especially when the trail breaks off the main larger road--it takes you through a beautiful farm area with great photo opportunities. Take your time and enjoy it. Bring snacks and your favorite beverages or purchase from the several berghaus's along the way.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank vgroten

Ottawa, Ontario
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Simply stunning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our family of five with three children ages 5, 7 and 10 walked the North Face Trail on our first afternoon in Murren. The children really enjoyed their time in Allmunhundel beforehand, and we then left to walk the trail. It was an easy trail that everyone truly enjoyed. The flowers were beautiful and we all loved reading the information tablets which showed the route people have taken to climb the mountains visible from the different points of the trail. We walked through a group of cows and one point and I think it was the highlight of our walk. Unfortunately, 1.5hrs into our walk, we started to hear thunder. At the upper most part of the trail, rain started and we were completely unprepared as the weather had been so nice earlier. Without rain jackets or umbrellas, we had thought to wait it out at one of the houses along the way but it seemed to keep getting worse. With children in hand, we quickly ran down the mountain along the trail. It took about 45 minutes and we were truly soaked by the end. The children held up well and in retrospect, it was quite an adventure. I would recommend to everyone though to never walk in these mountains unprepared. The weather can and does change incredibly fast. We had water and sunblock but we should have been prepared for anything, and we weren't. Overall, it was a fantastic hike. I'm just sorry it was cut short and we didn't get to truly enjoy the last half of the trail. It is still highly recommended by us and our children!

3 Thank casperjj
Houston area
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“One of our best hikes in the region”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We did this hike on our first full day staying in Murren, and it was a perfect day! We are in our mid-40s, and in decent shape, but are not used to high altitudes at all, so we went pretty slowly. Had no troubles at all. It was challenging, but not overly so. The scenery was superb. We stopped for lunch (bread, cheese, drinks) at Schiltalp Restaurant, and it was a lovely rest. We also did the detour at Spielbodenalp to go to the Sprutz waterfall. That part of the journey was a bit more demanding, but all in all, totally do-able. Highly recommend this!

2 Thank ethansmom66
Spring, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Enchanting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I loved this hike! The hike begins in Allmendhubel, which lies just above Murren. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. We found that our hikes took much longer than indicated. A two-and-a-half hour trek turned into at least four hours for us, but we stopped and had a picnic and stopped at one of the farm restaurants for a restroom break and bottled water. Bottled water is very expensive if you buy it out here. If I were to do this again I would buy the cheaper, large bottles of water at the Coop and refill our personal bottles. My husband and I are in our sixties and were able to do this hike with no difficulty. This was probably one of the best four hours I have spent in my lifetime!

2 Thank Debbie M
World Nomad
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“An amazing Trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

If your considering which hike to do, this one! It took me and my fiancé, not normally hikers, a little over 4 hours to do completely. But the amount of amazing things you see just have you stopping every 10 steps to take a picture so you never forget it. It was tough at points but definitely not what I would say a killer climb. Even if your not into hiking, do it to fill in a day, you won't regret it.

2 Thank BuckmeisterJ