“A Very Friendly and Perfectly Situated Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Eiger
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Murren
St Margaret's Bay, United Kingdom
“A Very Friendly and Perfectly Situated Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

We arrived in Mürren to a wonderful reception at the Eiger, aided by a smooth transit from the train station. Immediately made to feel very welcome and had a wonderful week skiing. The pool is a firm favourite as are the breakfasts. Room with a spectacular view and three children, wife and mother have declared that they wish to return to the Eiger every year for our family ski trip.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front with views are well worth it.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
Pontefract
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

The title says it all. From the moment that you enter, you are assured of first class facilities, food and service!
Reception area is staffed by helpful, multilingual, customer service experts who attend to your request and enquiries with their full attention pleasantly and efficiently. There are always free fresh fruit and sweets here as well!
The lounge bar is full of sumptuous leather seating with a variety of newspapers, including the Telegraph. Books are available to peruse or borrow and the view from the windows here and the restaurant are stunning.
The swimming pool, jaccuzzi area and sauna are always clean and well maintained, with fresh towels always available. Loungers are strategically placed to overlook the panorama of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau and the sunset is spectacular.
Food is prepared and served by a friendly and efficient team that are rotating through the plush and artistic dining areas to cater for your needs promptly and unobtrusively. A new artistic display greets you at every meal and highlights the menu and suggested wines and spirits to complement the five star cuisine.
I ate a variety of dishes that were new to me, every one delicious, well presented and requiring detailed investigation on Google to establish the mysterious blends of contents.
Breakfast caters for a variety of tastes and, should you require something that is not displayed, the chef will endeavour to provide it.
Our room was so quiet, we thought we were the only guests and, even with the window open, absolutely silent!
The large, well appointed room was immaculately prepared, and even the top of the wardrobe was dust free and shining (when I stood on a chair to check if I had left anything there). Bathroom facilities were also well prepared and maintained, accessories are replenished twice daily.
The only addition required for us English would be tea making facilities, but I always bring my own anyway.
The rooms are immaculately cleaned and tidied daily and during dinner, our bed was turned down, a chocolate placed on the pillow, and night clothes folded and placed on the duvet. A variety of different pillows were available on request.
During dinner, on our first night, our Swiss Rail transported luggage were placed in our room, and skis and boots placed in the heated, spacious and well appointed ski room. There are shelves for slippers, bags, helmets and other paraphernalia that skiers and walkers tend to acquire. The boot/glove heater is very effective and dries boots during the night.
Should your group include children, there is a separate play area and TV room for them to enjoy away from the bar area, with their own toilet facilities. This area also has high tech conference facilities for interactive meetings.
We didn't want to leave, but even this process is seamless; the friendly and efficient porter collected my luggage from the room, skis and boot bags from the ski room and transported them to the station for onward carriage to Manchester (of course, they were there when I arrived). He also checked us into our flights and returned our boarding passes and passports to reception for us.
On leaving, we were offered bottles of spring water and fruit for our journey, and offered advice should we choose to break or rail journey on the way back to the airport (which we did, for lunch in Bern).
The guest experience at this, family owned, hotel, is one that will be valued, and acts as a benchmark for hoteliers everywhere. It is obvious that every member of staff is devoted to ensuring that my stay was memorable, comfortable and relaxing. Should they catch you lifting a bag, a staff member miraculously appears to offer to relieve you of it (with different motive to a Moroccan Hotel I once visited). One cannot avoid getting to know the friendly and unobtrusive staff, and it is obvious that they pride themselves on their professionalism, every link in the staff chain is equally valued and effective.
As a past graduate of the Institute of Personnel and Development, I am qualified to comment on extraordinary teamwork and organisational effectiveness, and it is obvious that the staff are dedicated to maximising the customer experience here. I am pleased that I can find no suggestions for improvement.
As a 60 year old skier, the easiest way to get on the slopes is to cross the road to the station, catch the train to Winteregg (10 mins and free with lift pass), where a chair lift will provide access to the slopes above Murren and Birg and the Schilthorn.
Across the valley, the Eiger, Wengen and the Lauberhorn beckon and a trip to the top (also into Grindewald) will take about an hour on the trains and cable cars that are included in the pass. Of course I skied that side, but soon fled back to Murren where I was always alone on the chair lifts!
The Jungfraujoch station is also worth a visit.
My wife enjoys walking and we were able to meet most days for a high altitude lunch.
I have no reservations in recommending this hotel, normally very critical and suspicious (as most travellers are), I can only find praise for this team and will endeavour to return soon.
David S. MA PGCE Grad IPD

Room Tip: Although the front, balcony rooms have a fantastic view, my 3rd floor room at the back was very quie...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dstel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

This hotel gets it just right for us without fuss. A warm welcome, comfortable accommodation and tempting menus every night, the owner 's hands on management seems to enable the staff to provide an excellent friendly holiday experience for all. We look forward to another visit in summertime.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank D N
basel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Eiger for our first trip to Murren. We've rarely been welcomed with such a personal atmosphere in other hotels. The breakfast buffet has a nice selection.
The dinner was nice as well - we hadn't reserved a table so we were seated in the rustic bar. The food was nice, and good value (considering it is Switzerland, after all). After the meal, there is a range of public places to sit around. The rooms are freshly redone, comfortable and an unbeatable view.
We'll return.

1 Thank businessmom
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

A most pleasant stay with friendly helpful staff. We went for a week with the family. Our first time in Murren so we were a little apprehensive. Arriving at midnight by cable car we were met with smiles and an electric cart to take us to the hotel. A midnight picnic was waiting for us!
Dinner service was excellent and flexible to account for our diets with a charming maitreD.
Rooms clean and well maintained though slightly dated were quite spacious with a balcony.
Owners are charming.
Thoroughly recommendable and the most important test, would we return. YES!
Murren is a great place, car free, the ski slopes never seemed busy and we were blessed with sunshine.

1 Thank vic_levy
Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

This was our fourth holiday in Muerren and Hotel Eiger and we found the hotel as excellent as we had every time before. If Muerren is about traffic-free relaxing and getting away from the city noise then Hotel Eiger is the perfect place to do that. It is very comfortable, cosy, clean, functional and very friendly with striking mountain views . The owners do a fantastic job at making you feel at home. This is the only hotel in Muerren that has its own swimming pool and a late night bar and probably the only place that can accommodate a late night dinner if you, like us, cannot always manage to order your dinner before 9 pm. The 5-minute trip to the ski-lift involves walking uphill for about 100 meters. If this is not something you want to do, rent your skis at Albert’s (their specialty is Head). They have their own ski-room for customers from where it should take you 2 minutes to ski down to the lift.

Room Tip: If you travel with kids, take family suite. Even if it does not have Jungfrau/Eiger view, you'll...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Hotel Eiger over the winter break for 4 nights - this was meant to be a ski trip in Murren and I was certainly not disappointed.

As with all positive reviews, you do tend to be a bit skeptical (especially if you're a seasoned traveler like myself) but I was really made to feel welcome from the day I stepped in till when I left.

Location wise - this was superb. No lugging of bags and Murren being a place without any motor vehicles allowed, this was right across from the train station. In the event you have any trouble, they offered a porter (I did not require one).

The reception was extremely helpful throughout the stay and I did not feel like a "paying" guest (well not until I checked out anyway!) every day. They would be sincerely asking how your day was and if you wanted to plan a day trip, to say, Jungfraujoch, they have some really good money saving suggestions for you (that is a real expensive side trip - but a story for another day!).

The room was small buit cosy, internet connection was good (although I noticed it does drop now and then), and since I only stayed in the room during the evenings and used it to sleep in (but of course!) - I did not mind the size. I had a fantastic view of the Eiger every morning when I woke up though.

Breakfast was included and the spread was generous - the breads were amazing and although basically the same type of food was served everyday, there was enough variety to keep me eating for four days straight.

Murren is a place where winter sports are a must - and the hotel does offer discounts with a rental shop in the sports centre. Facilities wise, it has its own swimming pool (comes with jacuzzi features) and a German sauna which was great after skiing, personally. You did not have to wear your bathrobe all the way to the sports centre (although it does have a bigger pool). It would help though if the water in the pool was a wee bit warmer but I'm nitpicking.

All in - a great and memorable stay - and I'll definitely be back again!

Room Tip: If you like views ask for the mountain view room, they will cost a slight premium but hey, you can a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murren
Eiger Guesthouse
#2 of 21 in Wengen
Hotel Gletschergarten
Hotel Gletschergarten
#1 of 41 in Grindelwald

Been to Hotel Eiger? Share your experiences!