“Wonderful Place!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Murren
Lakewood, New York
“Wonderful Place!”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I loved staying here. The staff was really friendly, the room/beds were very comfortable. We slept great every night. The breakfast was very good and I felt like the price we paid for the room was great for all that we got. We ate in the hotel restaurant a few nights and the food was delicious.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coastergirl13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We stayed in the chalet of the Hotel Blumental for two nights. The room was great – warm, quiet, modern, clean and a beautiful bathroom. We had dinner at the restaurant and it was delicious, as were the breakfasts. The only trouble we had was with internet – very weak signal and only seemed to work 1/3 of the time. Not a big deal for some, but it was important to us to be able to communicate with our kids back home. Overall, a good experience in a beautiful little mountain village – we will return!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Quite simply, my stay was an entirely miserable experience. I arrived at 6:30pm, and was shown to my room in a small, newer house separate from the main hotel, out behind. My room had no phone or internet connection. (They "forgot" to mention this at the time of booking.) The hotel manager (and I believe owner) was a horribly rude and "to the point" woman. I tried to order room service, because I needed to get some work done for an American business partner based in the US, and didn't have time to sit in the restaurant. They wouldn’t do room service, in spite of the fact that they have an in-house restaurant. So I was turned away for dinner. When I went back down to eat after I got my work done, they told me that the kitchen was closed. And they would not seat me. Even though they were still serving food to restaurant guests right in front of my very eyes. So I was yet again turned away for dinner. Trying to find food in this village after 9pm is an entirely impossible experience, as everything is closed. And I was starving. So I went back to the hotel restaurant yet a third time. This time I BEGGED for some dry meat, bread, or anything to eat. They gave me a dirty look and went back to the kitchen where I could hear someone cursing in Swiss German. After sitting in the restaurant and being rudely started at, 15 minutes later I was brought a plate of dry meat, cheese, bread, and butter. Went back to my room, and discovered the laundry room is directly beneath my room, and they do the laundry from after 9pm to well after midnight. I could hear the washing machines and dryers running until I finally fell asleep. A few other wonderful surprises: the bathroom sink would not drain, and the room smells of laundry detergent from the laundry facility below. The constant smell of laundry detergent was oh so delightful. And by the way, don't be fooled by the photos of the "new house" that they show on various web pages. The new house has only a few rooms, and most of the rooms are in the main hotel -- which is VERY old. It has a musty stench that would imply decades of cigarette smoke. With no phone in my room, and no internet connection for using Skype, I was totally isolated. I was able to get internet connection in the main hotel. But it cut out every 3-4 minutes, so I was never able to obtain a consistent connection. The hotel manger woman made me feel like a burden at every turn. You could even see her disposition change as soon as she saw me coming. What a rude person. My best advice: AVOID THIS PLACE. It’s a joke. I will absolutely never return. Got to the Hotel Bellevue instead. They are friendly, and their food is better anyway.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank eilig
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We stayed at the Chalet for 3 nights last week (September 15-18 2010) and had a lovely stay. The Chalet was very clean and a great size. The hotel has a fantastic view of the Swiss Alps. The ride to Murren offers great views. You first arrive in Laterbrunnen and then take a cable car to the top of this mountain. Once there you then take a train into the city. It takes about 30 mins total. The town has GREAT hiking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We had to check out early (before breakfast) so we stopped in the night before. The owner was so sweet and had breakfast set out for us in the morning at a private little spot. Couldn't have asked for better service.

1 Thank mfording
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Enjoyed every minute of our stay here in the beautiful Berner Oberland. Murren is a great town and staying at the Chalet Blumental (the newer building behind the hotel) made it perfect. The couple running the hotel are sweet and take pride in their hotel and their restaurant (delicious, by the way!). The service from everyone was great, even down to email correspondence the weeks before our trip. The chalet is brand new, clean and modern with lots of Swiss charm. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is clean (and the shower a decent size with great water pressure), the space (while not the largest) is very well-designed with a large area for suitcases/clothes and 2 arm chairs. The walls were a bit thin so you can hear your neighbors moving around, but it was not a big deal. We had a balcony with wonderful views of the Jungfrau. The included breakfast was wonderful--fresh meats, cheeses, soft-boiled eggs, delicious fresh bread, etc. Free WiFi as well. We had a lovely stay here and would definitely return!

1 Thank ndmalia
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My family of 4 just returned from Murren after staying at Hotel Blumental and absolutely LOVED it! We were treated very well by the staff, had a delicious evening meal in their restaurant and started each day with a hearty breakfast. I can't say enough good things about the place. Hiking is excellent from this quaint town. We received 4 free round-trip tickets to Piz Gloria atop the Schilthorn since we stayed 4 nights. This alone was over $280 in savings! Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Murren is a car-free area, so the adventure really starts the moment you get on the cable car or train. Pack light, you won't need much. There's a grocery store across the street from the hotel if you want to prepare a picnic before hiking or get a bottle of wine for your room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy5590
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We found this hotel very quiet and convenient for a long stay, far from noise and rush. However, we've got to warn about something the hotel information doesn't remark: Mürren is a free-car village, so the only way to access to the hotel is by cable-car and train. Therefore, if you have reached the nearest town to Mürren, Lauterbrunnen (about 5 km in horizontal way and 800m in vertical way), by car, you will must to park it there. Take it into account.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple