“Disappointing.”
Review of Eiger Guesthouse

Eiger Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Murren
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I chose this hotel based on the TripAdvisor reviews, but we were disappointed in the room. We spent the extra money for a room with a balcony, and the view was fabulous, but we really weren't in the room enough to really enjoy it. The room was spacious enough for the two of us, but the sheets and the towels had seen better days. The shower curtain did not go all the way around the tub, so it was hard to keep from getting water everywhere. We tripped over a rug in the room repeatedly as the corner did not lay flat. This is an older building, and unfortunately we had families with children above us. We would not have been allowed to sleep later than they did even if we had wanted to do so! The sound was such that they may as well have been in our room with us. The housekeeping was not what I would have hoped for; the housekeeper made the beds, but left the dirty coffee mugs and wine glasses for us to deal with every day. The room was warm with no air conditioning, but during the evening the noise outside did not accommodate keeping the door open to enjoy the fresh mountain air. I would definitely not stay here again. We did enjoy the restaurant, in spite of the noise of the families with children at breakfast each day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snoopydeb

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great Guesthouse. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Carrying our suitcases up the stairs was a little vigorous, but our room was clean and neat with a comfortable bed and bathroom. It's a great location to see the sites of Murren and to hike. Don't miss the hiking available up the funicular to Allmendhubel. We hiked down to Grimmelwald--spectacular views. This is a very friendly town, with several good restaurants, including the one at the Eiger Guesthouse. They also have terrific hot chocolate!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Relaxed cosy little place eith a personnel that makr you feel like a perdonal guest. I like!
Rooms are simple but much better than I expected for the price.
The view is fantastic and the train station is just across the street. Ski lifts and rental services are a few hundred meters away.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Eiger Guesthouse is very conveniently located right by the station which is the only route to arrive to Mürren. The downside is that then you have a bit longer walk to the ski lifts, but that wasn't a problem for us as we were renting anyway. We had a room on the highest floor with a view oh the Eiger. The room was quite small but we were only staying for two nights so we weren't too bothered. We heard later that on the first night there was some music and karaoke until early morning hours in the restaurant, but we didn't hear a thing to our room - my boyfriend sleeps lightly, so points for that! The owner was very helpful and called places for us just to verify things etc. The restaurant was ok, the food was nothing special and it was expensive - but not more expensive than Switzerland in general.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Riikka P
Reviewed 27 March 2014

You seriously can't find a better deal than this anywhere else in Europe. Clean, spacious, drop dead gorgeous mountain views (with a balcony if you get the right room), friendly staff, and very affordable. The free breakfast they provide in the morning was also the most substantial we encountered during our trip. Thank you for your hospitality, Ema! I will happily recommend your hotel to anyone I know that is lucky enough to travel to Murren!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain view, and mention the Rick Steves discount.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Issa H
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Set high above the beautiful Lauterbrunnen Valley, conveniently located just off the incline in the pedestrian village of Murren, Switzerland, you would assume this hotel had everything going for it. The rooms were clean and we arrived smiling at the promise of a relaxing weekend. We quickly found out however that the staff was in general "over" the tourist season and it showed in their cold interactions.

The place advertises as having wifi, flat screen TVs, etc. Neither of these worked in my room and the wifi also didn't work in my friends neighboring room. When I mentioned this to the reception their response was "It works for other people" and "Are you sure you were pushing the right buttons? Using the right router?", etc. When I politely said that I tried several fixes and that I was operating both the TV remote control correctly and also did try to manually turn on the TV (I am bright that way), their response was, "Why didn't you tell us this last night?" REALLY???? Perhaps at midnight after a day in the snow I didn't want to walk down 3 flights of stairs in my PJs because you have no room phones or maybe the TV and computer weren't all that important to me. It isn't that these things didn't function that was bothersome, I was on vacation and was generally happy to be mostly unplugged from the computer and TV---rather it was their unhelpful and terse version of customer service and how they managed receiving this information that had me miffed.

The restaurant was also very average as average goes but the service was as chilly on the inside of this place as the weather was outside (with the exception of the girl in the breakfast room in the mornings). In the evening when we ordered Aperol Proseccos they came very watered down. When my Swiss friend raised her dissatisfaction to the waiter he basically told her that that was how they made them. When she asked to have them sent back and re-made with only wine and Aperol, as this alternative was suggested by the waiter, he complied--albeit unwillingly--took our watery drinks away and brought us the fixed ones. The next day when we got our bill we were charged for the poorly made drinks we never had as well as the re-made ones. When this was raised at checkout the woman asked the waiter if he gave us the option to keep them or let us know that we would be charged and he said he did--an outright lie as he took them away without comment and brought us the replacements. If we were going to be charged for sending back a poor quality item, we should have been informed at the time. Having the cashier put us and the waiter in a trial and courtroom situation over a few overpriced drinks was also very unprofessional.

It really is a shame because the location and hotel have great potential just lacking a staff that actually know how to make a guest feel welcomed. I will certainly go back to this region in Switzerland as it is truly gorgeous but next time, I'll sleep and eat far away from the Eiger Guesthouse where as a guest, I was made to feel like an intruding nuisance.

Room Tip: The bar can get loud at night so ask to be away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank moomkin
eigerguesthouse, Manager at Eiger Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

my dear guest,

there are now and than guests who have a soul for a 5 star Hotel but just Budget enough for a simple guesthouse like we are.and this is not easy for us to make such guests happy.

you forgot to mention that you booked a room for 2 persons and you arrived as a single and even though you booked on booking.com a non-refundable Budget rate and I will get charged for the full comission I gave you the price for a single room.

you forgot to mention that you and another Lady were very happy with the Aperol spritz until the third one decided that Aperol shouldnt have any water (look on Google for Aperol recipe) and my waiter had to throw the expencive Drinks away to make you new ones without water. in the same evening, not next morning as you write, you complained that you dont want to pay and I said ok, and you didnt pay!!

you said when you checked out that you didnt have any tv nor Internet. The tv you didnt know how to turn it on and unfortunately you didnt ask, because it is very easy. than we found out that you were trying to conect to the wriless Internet from the 4 star Hotel next door instead of conecting to our rooter. Our Internet as been just made all new 2 months ago and is working perfectly. also here pity you didnt ask!

I was very sad with all this Situation because I didnt know how to make you ladies happy. Just sad you didnt understand that we really tried!!

best regards

Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Guesthouse has a very friendly atmosphere and great service. I would recommend it to anyone. The rooms are clean and the food is good, with live music on 2 nights when we stayed there. Great mountain views and you can ski back to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family