“What a gem”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is an exceptionally well run gem of a hotel in Wengen. Our family had a wonderful room, food was outstanding, staff went out of their way to insure a great stay, from excursion advice to simple courtesies. It was like staying at your best friends home!

Room Tip: We had a room for four but it is the only one in the hotel. My advice is to contact them via e-mail...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tfaris

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I spent seven days in in Switzerland using Wengen as a home base for several day hikes. The Hotel Edelweiss only added to this wonderful adventure. Daniel is an excellent host and treats you like family. He is extremely knowledgeable of all there is to do in the area and truly does everything in his power to ensure his guests have the greatest possible experience. Dinner was always fantastic, six nights a week they offer a delicious four course meal and an excellent selection of wine all for a very reasonable price. If I ever go back to Wengen this is without question the hotel I would stay at, the atmosphere and customer service are the best that I have experienced from any hotel by far. I highly recomended it to anyone for their stay in Wengen.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ryandps
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is AMAZING and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to stay in an Alpine village. Due to my partner and I arriving very late at night and missing the last train into Wengen, we were unable to reach the hotel for our original booking and lost our room that had been booked since January (we tried to reach them via phone and vice versa, but to no avail). However, staff realised our plight and worked quickly to get us a new room, sitting us down with tea and coffee so we could rest a little. We wound up on the second floor with a breathtaking view of the Jungfrau.

All staff are amazing, helpful, and chock full of knowledge of area events and history. They talk to you as though they've known you for years. The Alpine breakfast every morning was delicious, and the dinners every night impressed us every time and satisfied us completely. Everything is clean and lovely, from the music room to the coffee lounge to the charming outdoor seating area to the rooms themselves! Everything is about comfort and warmth at the Edelweiss.

My partner and I loved the Edelweiss so much that we definitely plan on staying again in the future :)

2  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 4 July 2014

When researching for a place to stay, came across car-free Wengen. Saw the good reviews for Edelweiss and decided to stay there. That was a great decision. Daniel was very welcoming and goes out of his way to ensure everyone's stay is pleasant. Ofcourse the amazing views of Jungfrau adds to the amazing experience as well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank wrld_traveller14
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights out of a 2 week trip to Switzerland that started in Zurich and ended up in Geneva. We love beautiful scenery and simple hikes. This stay could not have been more perfect. One day while describing our long day to Daniel, the owner, I mentioned how amazing it was to return "home" to the spectacular views of the Jungfrau. We both recognized right away that this feeling of being at home is better than any 5 star hotel! A couple of things are worth mentioning. First, the chef at the hotel is wonderful. He does a 4-course meal almost every night which was worth the 25 chf that it cost. He uses fresh ingredients from the garden. The soups were my favorite. Secondly, Daniel is a wealth of information. It was very beneficial to go over the map and plan excursions with him. We purchased a Swiss Saver Pass for our basic transportation needs and museums, but to access some of the amazing sites at higher elevations, including the wildly popular "Top of Europe" you have to pay extra for the cog trains and gondolas that take you there. It was worth it because if you go to Switzerland for the beautiful alpine views and some hiking, then you just have to pay for it. One of our hikes to Schnigge Platt from Mannlichen was not quite as pleasant at the end because of a very steep ascent that I was not prepared for. My husband talked me through it, but it would have been better had we consulted with Daniel and staff beforehand so that we would know this was an alternate route due to a path closure. Finally, I have to mention that this hotel sits fairly low in the village as do many of the hotels so it was a real workout every morning to climb the hill back up to the train station. This was not a problem for us, but more than once we thought about some of our friends, who like us are in their 60's but are not in terribly good physical condition and therefore would not be too happy with the climb. All in all, we felt that the Edelweiss was a perfect place for us!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the Jungfrau
1  Thank Gnome2Travel
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel is amazing. The staff is super friendly. The room are homely and comfortable. The views are to die for. The food are delicious and good value.

We stayed there for 3 amazing nights and loved every minutes of it. We were greeted by Daniel on arrival who is super friendly and a wealth of local knowledge - make sure you ask him to recommend walks around the area. The room are simple and clean and IMO matches the surrounding perfectly. The balcony was perfect for a pre-dinner drink. There is also a garden out back to enjoy the sunset. We were blessed with beautiful weather when we were there so we didn't stay in the hotel much but there are lots of facilities to enjoy if the weather didn't cooperate - table tennis, sauna, music room, library, etc.

I wish to specially thank Anja, who works in the restaurant. She is the sweetest person I have ever met and she made our stay super special - she made us feel more like family than guest. If you stay there, make sure to say hi to her.

The hotel included a wonderful breakfast every morning and offer a delicious four-course dinner at a very reasonable price. When we compared the offering to the surrounding restaurants, we didn't bother to going any where else.

Wengen is a beautiful area to stay when visiting the Jungfrau region. It is quiet as it is not accessible by car so it's not overrun by coachful of tourists, yet it is still easy to reach other destinations via the train. It was super easy to get to Jungfraujoch as it was on the way from Lauterbrunnen. Personally, I prefer Wengen over Murren as the train allow for easier access to other destinations in the region. We had a wonderful time exploring Wengen - the scenery is heavenly and remind me of The Sound of Music - see my pictures below.

This is a superb hotel and I would definitely stay here again when visiting Jungfrau region.

Room Tip: This hotel is located at the bottom of a hill. There is a bit of a steep climb up to the train stati...
1  Thank shirthegirl
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights, and really enjoyed my stay. All the staff are lovely and very happy to help with anything. They provided delicious gluten free dinners for me which I really appreciated! I loved the fluffy pillow and cover in my room. They have rooms where you can sit, have a coffee/tea etc, plus a nice garden to enjoy the sun and views.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BonnieS89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wengen
Hotel Belvedere
#8 of 20 in Wengen
Hotel Eiger
Hotel Eiger
#1 of 11 in Murren

Been to Hotel Edelweiss? Share your experiences!