“Comfortable, clean and welcoming”

Alpenruhe Kulm Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
UK
“Comfortable, clean and welcoming”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I have stayed here 3 times and this is the first review...in part because they are very consistant in their service and delivery so I thought it was time to give them a review.
I rang 3 times to say change my estimated time of arrival was changing - during the evening I was due! This was because my car had problems. I finally arrived at 0130hr and they were there to welcome me and take me direct to the room without fuss.
I had a single room this time (33) and had a great balcony and view over Wengen and the valley. The room was simple, very clean and in excellent condition.
Despite the perhaps dated furniture etc, everthing was in great condition - no rips, marks, scratches etc as you might expect from a similar hotel.
The bathroom was spotless and not a hint of mould to be seen - unlike many a 4 and 5 star hotel I have stayed in!
The Breakfast is very good in terms of variety and quantity.
I would recommend the hotel and very likely to stay here again

Room Tip: get a balcony room!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words, so please take a look at the picture I have attached to this review. It's a photograph taken from the private balcony of our room at the Alpenruhe Kulm hotel in Wengen. Can there possibly be a more gorgeous view from any hotel room anywhere in the world? This view, alone, makes this hotel a clear first choice in Wengen.

The hotel is situated a short walk from the centre of the village. From the railway station it's a ten-minute uphill climb, but the hotel will pick you up (and take you back) in an electric buggy if arranged in advance. Other than the view, the hotel is fairly ordinary. The room was quite small, with a similarly small bathroom, but very comfortable and really all we needed. The breakfast buffet was fairly limited in the range of food available, but the quantities and quality were excellent.

It's difficult to judge whether the hotel offers value for money. Wengen is an expensive resort in a very expensive country, and prices in general can make your eyes water. The Alpenruhe was the most expensive hotel we stayed in during our time in Switzerland, and by no means the best, but we felt that the view made the expense worthwhile.

Room Tip: It is only worth staying here if you request (and pay extra for) a room with a view of the mountains...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael S
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is a very cozy bed and breakfast. My wife an I stayed here for two nights in September 2011. The staff appeared to be just a nice lady and her husband. They spoke mainly German; however, the lady was able to speak English to us pretty fluently We weren't aware that the only way into Wengen was by rail. When we realized that, we called the hotel and asked where to park. We were given very clear directions of where to park in Lauterbrunnen.

She asked when our train was arriving to meet us. Wengen is a small mountain town with no cars! All of the hotels offer pickups at the train station on small golf carts with flat bed trailers. You can walk the ten minutes to the hotel, or you can ride on the cart. I chose to walk. The air is so refreshing and clear. You have an amazing view of Jungfrau and the town of Wengen from their balconies. The property is kept in immaculate condition. The rooms are a bit dated; however, they were more than adequate. I had some of my best sleep this year at this place. At night, I would open my balcony door and let the cool mountain air cool the room. It was so quiet that you can hear leaves on the trees in the wind. I would definitely stay here again if I ever went back to Wengen.

Room Tip: Incredible views of Wengen and Jungfrau from the property.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tlabranche
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 July 2011

the hotel provides beautiful views of the jungfrau..the rooms are small and basic..the breakfast is strictly ok..the staff answers to questions only that are asked and are not very friendly..the hotel is located at a ten minutes walking distance from the station and it involves some climbing but that is what gives the hotel an unrestricted view of the jungfrau..i found the hotel to be a little pricey for the kind of service and breakfast it offers..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Wow! Picked hotel sight unseen from internet site, could not have been more astounded.
The mountain air is crisp, the gardens perfectly splendid, the hotel cozy and really welcoming. They don't even want to see your credit card...The view from the rooms has me gasping for breath:the Jungfrau is so close, the sky so blue, feels like being in a picture postcard. The beds are downy comfort all the way. Dinner is the next amazement as the charming owner prints a menu each day, four courses of good Swiss dining-all included in the reasonable half-pension price, had not expected that. Breakfast another delight of crusty bread, chunks of Swiss cheese, fresh fruits, cereals and other goodies.
The rooms were the cleanest I have encountered anywhere, each with a little balcony and chair to linger over the Alpine glory. Laundry was reasonable and returned within hours. Reading material in the lobby, refreshments on the first floor, a free ride to and from the station, a great location 10 minutes from the center of Wengen yet 5 minutes away from a bucolic herd of Swiss cows with bells around their necks and quiet pastures. Plenty of hiking trails, close to all excursions AND a really wonderful owner taking pride in her venue-no negatives except the sadness of leaving this pristine Alpine oasis.

Room Tip: all great
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 April 2011

This hotel is certainly fine for a stay. They are a bit up the hill, but not far at all. The view is very nice and the staff pleasant. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in early January leaving on the day of the Lauberhorn race. We called from Lauterbrunnen and were met in Wengen at the station and taken to the hotel.
The Hotel is one of the further out from central Wengen, its only a 5 - 10 min walk, it did mean that we were away from the noise of central Wengen which had a lot of preparation for the racing happening.
- If you hire your ski's or board with Intersport in front of the gondola station, you can leave your ski's and boots there which saves lugging them back to the hotel.
The room was basic, with the main omission being a kettle. The free Wi-Fi worked well and was good enough for skype! Its typical mountain accommodation, the bed was to spongy, the TV was old (but it did have both a live feed from mountain cameras and english channels), the room was big with an awesome view we could see into the valley and watch the Lauberhorn racing on the other side of Wengen. Breakfast was nice with great coffee. At the end of our stay we checked out, left our bags with the hotel and walked into Wengen, we were met at the station with our bags at the agreed time a couple of hours later ready to catch the train back to Lauterbrunnen.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple