Looking for a room for 4 people in expensive Wengen looks to be an impossible task, until we found the lowest price offered by Residence Bernerhof. From the Wengen station, just walk the slope up then turn left and then walk to the end of the street with the giant cow on the roof. We were quite hesitant initially due to its relatively lower price, but this hotel turned out to be the most pleasant surprise of our trip.
1. Our room was on the Hotel Restaurant Residence which was just a few metres walk away form the cow fronted reception building. This spacious room have only one bedroom for 2 pax, thus they place 2 extra beds on the hall-dining area but still it does not feel cramped at all. They managed to fit in an LCD TV with 2 chairs, 2 single beds, the dining area and kitchenette in one room. The icing of the cake of course was the wonderful view of the Wengen church right outside the balcony.
2. The restaurant was not open during the off-season, but we were offered directions to the Ristorante Da Sina next door. The room provided was very spacious fully equipped with a kitchenette with cooking equipment, fridge and a microwave / toaster. Being off-season, this kitchenette is a godsend as Da Sina was the only one open and it is easy to buy groceries at COOP Lauterbrunnen to cook an inexpensive meal.
3. The friendly receptionist/waiter (who kind of looked like Jim Sturgess) was friendly and even though we were one of the few hotel guests travellers in this off-season, the breakfast spread was marvellous with cheese, meats, colored eggs, breakfast cereals, jam, bread, coffee and hot chocolate. Ready to tackle the cold temperatures ahead.
4. The toilet was a little snug but managed to fit in bathtub and showerhead with hot water and ample towels.
5. The teddy bear next to the microwave just made the room more cheerful and homely
1. Hotel Residence looks a bit dated but for the great price we paid and excellent room amenities, this is a very minor observation
I know where I will stay next time at Wengen. This is the first time that a lowly ranked hotel in Tripadvisor surprised me with the level of comfort and convenience. Don't judge the hotel with its Tripadvisor ranking!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Hotel Bernerhof & Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bernerhof Hotel Wengen