“Great Food, Great Service”
Review of Hotel Schonegg

Hotel Schonegg
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Wengen
Price range: US$19 - US$109
Cuisines: European, Swiss
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Our Swiss Chef Sylvain Stefanazzi Ogi offers a refined kitchen, with national classic sents inspired by mediteranian cuisine benefiting from his Italian roots. The cosy Restaurant 1903 all in old wood opens only in the evening, in summer these dishes are as well served on our panoramic terrasse if weather permits. Opening hours summer & winter 18:30 – 22:00
Colorado
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of enjoying dinner at the Hotel Schonegg recently. The food was excellent. Starters were pea soup and carrot soup, both were very tasty and a great way to start our evening. Main courses were Arctic char and veal cheeks. Both were well prepared and demonstrated the professionalism of the chef.

We had a nice bottle of Swiss wine with our meal. Swiss wines are always a treat for a non-Swiss wine drinker.

Service was outstanding. Our server was friendly and professional. My wife and I are gluten free and our needs were handled well and with a smile. Our server made sure our menu choices were gluten free. The chef brought out a gluten free amuse bouche that was clearly prepared on the spur of the moment and was a kind way to make us feel at home. Thanks to the staff at Hotel Schonegg.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Completely Arrogant / Inept Service”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The only reason this place gets 1 out of 5 is because 0 out of 5 isn't possible.

My girlfriend and I arrived after reading really good reviews on Trip Advisor.

We waited several minutes with various staff going back and forth without anyone acknowledging our presence. Upon being finally "noticed" by the Maître d', we were directed to the couch for a drink, upon being informed there were no tables as we hadn't booked, which was totally fine.

After waiting 30 minutes for someone to come and take our drinks order, with an incredible number of staff walking by seemingly looking the other way, my girlfriend was able to catch the attention of one of the staff. We ordered two home made ice teas. No problem.

5 minutes later another waitress stopped by and asked what we would like to drink. To which we replied, thanks, but we have already ordered.

10 minutes later and still no sign of our drinks, so we got up and left.

Absolutely astounding lack of service, right from the beginning.

I cannot work out whether it was sheer arrogance, complete ineptitude, or a mixture of the two.

If you like eating at a restaurant where it seems to be an honour to grace them with your custom, where the service is arrogant or inept, and pay a premium for doing so, then this is the restaurant for you.

I am actually relieved Trip Advisor exists, and that poor service can be rewarded commensurately.

File under: must avoid.

5 Thank NeutralObserver123
Philippe A, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Schonegg, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear NZIrish28

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry for the bad experience you had at our restaurant. I completely understand your frustration. It is not at all our standard and certainly not our intention to treat our guests this way.

The waitress who took your order forgot to bring your drinks in the hectic of a busy evening and then it was a misunderstanding in the team about who would serve the drinks. This is not an excuse; I just want to assure you that it was in no way personal or because of arrogance towards you as our guests.

I would have appreciated if you had told me or our restaurant manager what happened and we certainly would have found a way to make your evening a pleasant one, correcting our bad start. Reading from your other review about Wengen, I am glad that you found a good place to spend your evening after leaving our terrace.

I assure you that we discuss this incident in our team and I thank you for taking the time to write your review. We continuingly work on our service quality and we will take your remark into account.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on another occasion, to show you why we often get good reviews and to make up for your bad experience at our restaurant. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any information, I would be happy to talk to you in person.

I wish you a very good continuation of your journey or a nice summer at home if you have already left the Jungfrau Region.

Yours sincerely
Philippe Allenspach, General Manager
Kent
“Absolutely wonderful meal”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Staff were lovely - attentive & friendly, offering sound advice about the menu. We chose the surprise 4 course meal. Every course was outstanding, beautifully presented.The truffled boiled egg to start was served with a dinky bottle of their beetroot salt - it all looked almost too good to eat. We took advice on wine, we wanted a swiss red wine and were steered towards a very good Tressin Merlot, which was treated and served with respect. The Chef came to each table later on - this is something we like to see, it's good to be able to express appreciation directly. You need to book.

• Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
“This is truly the best meal ever!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

It seems almost incredible that - high up in the Alps - you'd find the best restaurant in the world. You must be thinking "this dude is crazy". And you're right. I'm crazy for great food.
The manager, Mr. Allenspach and the Chef produce magic. Pure magic.
I'm a world traveler - since I'm in the theater and opera 'business'. So, great dining is my thing !
I actually study this art and envy those who do it divinely. The Schonegg is the one.
I've been through the nouvelle cuisine, fusion, the great chefs yet NOTHING, nothing is
as great as this restaurant. It's worth a train ride up to Wengen, in the Berner Oberland region of Switzerland.
Congratulations, Mr. Allenspach and staff

Yours,
Gerald Thomas

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Gerald T
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

One of the previous reviews mentioned a staff member by name..disgraceful
I found the staff including the one mentioned were gracious and helpful.
The food was excellent so good we visited twice. Suggest the ungracious person from Perth stick to Burger King

Visited February 2014