“Clean and good value for money”
Review of Hotel Chur

Hotel Chur
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Chur
Syracuse, New York
“Clean and good value for money”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Nothing fancy, but a clean and a comfortable place to sleep. Very budget friendly. The breakfast is not included in the night rates. As a cup of coffee can cost CHF 4 on average, paying CHF 15 or 16 per person for breakfast at the hotel is really worth it.
One fine memory, they had a shoes polishing /shining machine at the entrance, which I never saw at hotels like Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott etc.
One thing unusual. There is no individual control to the AC in each room. You may adjust the temperature by opening or closing windows, which can open wide or crack.
We had one of our best Thai food at the "Mandarin Thai Restaurant" in Chur.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is a surprisingly large hotel (100 rooms) in the Old Town, but without the feel of a large hotel, thanks to the fact that it prides itself on being family run.

The rates are very reasonable for Switzerland and it is good value. My room was compact without being cramped and the bed was quite comfortable (a spare pillow would have been nice, albeit unnecessary). Everything was spotlessly clean and tidy and the breakfast was quite satisfactory.

Knowing that I was arriving late, close to 11pm when the hotel closes for the night, I had telephoned ahead. If you are arriving after that time, be sure to ask for the door code so that you can collect your room key from the reception counter.

I'd stay here again if on a business trip.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one on the river side of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ely
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Until I checked out I would have given the hotel 3/4 stars. It was clean and functional the staff polite. Breakfast unremarkable but fine for (what I thought) was the price. I had checked in at dusk and was checking out again at dawn. Then came check out. That will be 97 francs. No I said (clutching my booking.com voucher). It is 87 francs. Ah said the clerk. You had a riverside room so the price is higher. Needless to say this 'bonus' had not been mentioned to me (indeed if offered the choice I would have opted for a voyeuristic view in the other direction where Chur's nightlife is concentrated with, it must be said, a surprising number of red lights in the first floor apartments). So we had a stand off. I can understand paying extra, but to be charged for something of which I was wholly unaware and had not been given the chance to decline reeks of four day old fish. If an establishment has such a basic lack of customer care it needs to shut and reopen only after considering the error of it's ways.

Room Tip: Say that you'd like a view of the red light district. That way you are assured of it being cheap...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Charlesnfergus

Travellers are raving about these Chur hotels

North East Fife
Reviewed 2 October 2013

but it's difficult to ignore.

I was there on a Friday, and I had a street side room, not a problem though and I slept well, and comfortably until at 3am I was woken by the fire alarm.
No smoke, no panic, no evacuation instruction board in the room.
I wandered down to reception (because I turned the wrong way for the nearest Fire Exit to my room, see the lack of instruction board) and was instantly aware that the only other people to be woken up and around (I had spent a couple of minutes getting dressed as well) were a weegie couple who had let the police in. I didn't see anyone else up and about, why? Was it because the alarm was pretty quiet? Was it because I went to reception rather than down the other set of stairs?
I was probably at the furthest point from the sole alarm sounder on the floor and even when I walked past it to get to the stairs my ears did not suggest the sounder was to the normal 100db standard.

That aside, the hotel was very comfortable, the room was decent and despite being street side wasn't exactly noisy, and the restaurant and breakfast were good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed there for only one night and it was an ok Hotel. The location is quite good and our room seemed to be recently renovated.

We stayed in a double room and our other family members stayed in single rooms. The single rooms were quite old and dated compared to ours.

The best thing about our room was the amazing shower! I might even just stay in this hotel again for the shower. The water pressure was out of this world!

Reception was nice and clean and the staff were friendly and organised. Also for Switzerland the price is good value.

I would recommend this hotel for a place to stay for a night or so, but any longer and it could become a little bit boring.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chrisbowers85
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel is old, but the reseption and resturant looks newer. The dobbel room is nice size, but the bed was two singels pushed togetter... Hate that.

The bathroom is old, but clean. The towels are worn, you can see the fabric is woarn out and they are green.
The minibar didnt work, so warm water... And no AC, but is was only 20-25 degrees at night ;)

Ok place to overnight, not to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We drove up the Rhone Valley from Monthey in non-stop rain and climbed over the 2500 m Furka pass in driving rain and mist, but very aware of the lethal drop just inches off the highway. Having crossed from west to east of the country in constant rain, the sun came out as we approached Chur. We found Hotel Chur by chance and were delighted by the spacious and comfortable room and by the helpfulness of the staff. Excellent food revived us. Chur is Switzerland's oldest city and is a delight, being among the mountains but quite sophisticated as well. Hotel Chur is a family-run hotel, no bargains, not flash, but very comfortable, clean and friendly, with a safe ambiance. We'd go back with pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, meaning the river side.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple