“Treated Like Royalty”

Badrutt's Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We have traveled extensively and we would DEFINATELY say that this hotel's service is the best we have ever experienced. The staff went above and beyond. The room was beautiful with a stunning view of the lake and mountains. The breakfast buffet was delicious. We would stay here if the opportunity presents itself!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel has so much charm and history to it! Everything about it was beautiful and the staff was always very accommodating. The bed was very comfortable, although it was 2 twin beds put together to make a king. That was a little surprising, but maybe that's the custom? They do offer a Rolls Royce for guest use if you need to be driven anywhere. The view that the hotel has of the lake and mountains is indescribable. You will love the pool and spa area. It's very relaxing and has an aromatherapy steam room, regular steam room, ice room, sauna, and massage shower. You really cannot go wrong here. If I had to think of one negative thing about it, then it would have to be the distance from the Zurich airport. Very, very long drive an a road that can be windy and narrow at times. If you get car-sick easily be prepared on that drive.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room if price isn't a problem for you. Otherwise, you will have a view of th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Like every summer I like to return to the palace in St. Moritz.
The palace, perched right on top of St. Moritz lake seems like the benign king of the valley.
For me, this place is simply magical and without fail every time profoundly changes me as a person. It's elegance, beauty and history -without being stuffy- remind me how beautiful life is.
I think in the hustle and bustle of every day life we sometimes forget this.
The palace is home to many happy memories; I almost can feel the wild parties that have been celebrated here, the home away from home it has been and is for their regular guests -myself included- in winter and summer and the grand time we have, the numerous weddings, I could go on and on. Like an echo I believe that this happiness lingers and can be felt to this day.
All of this and more draws me back over and over again. From the moment I step into the palace all everyday troubles seem to melt away. An enchanted island in a world that seems to have mostly forgotten that people are what matter most.
The palace is not cheap but in light of all the amenities it offers it is great value for money. The concept here is that there are no hidden or additional costs to the daily room rate.
From the second you announce your arrival you are treated like royalty. If you arrive by train the palace will pick you up at no cost in one of their oldtimers -Maybach or Rolls Royce- at the train station. A fitting start for the pleasures yet to come. In your room a fully stocked fridge with drinks, a heavenly fruit basket and sweets from the pastry chef await. That wifi is free of charge goes without saying. Most rooms offer a spectacular view on the valley. A typical palace day starts with one of the best breakfast buffets I have seen and a wide choice of complimentary papers. It is not uncommon to linger and spend the entire morning at breakfast. The glorious view on St. Moritz lake with its alpine backdrop, the impeccable service and sheer variety of the breakfast buffet make it almost impossible to leave. Like before all of this is included. After a walk, hike, bike ride, stand-up paddling, wind- or kitesurfing for me a fitting end for an activity filled afternoon are a drink or afternoon snack in the grand hall.
The chocolate cult, prepared by Mr. Stefan Gerber (the undisputed pastry king of St. Moritz) and his team is a must.
For total relaxation head down to the spa, the swimming pool and outdoor hot tub are breathtaking as are the treatment rooms in swiss stone pine wood that put you into an immediate state of calm. Or try one of the steam rooms that instead of a cold pool come with a cold fog room. With so much to do dinner usually starts late so there is ample time to transform or be transformed down at the spa into the elegant version of oneself for dinner and various other nighttime activities. For the more casually minded there is the Chesa Veglia only a stone throw away from the hotel.
One of the things I enjoy most in all my stays here are the variety of worlds I can visit through out the day. Casual elegant in the morning, sporty/athletic throughout the day, elegant or simply laid back in the evening. There is something for every mindset and taste. Always with the focus on providing the most pleasurable experience possible. The memories forged here last a lifetime. Whenever I feel down or sad I think of my sunny happy days at the Palace in St. Moritz and they never fail to make me smile and lift me up. This I think is priceless.

Room Tip: All rooms are very well thought through -plenty of closet space and wonderful bathrooms. I would try...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Perfect from check in to check out. We arrived very late after over 24 hours of travel. Our original room was not what we were expecting, so we asked for a different one. Within 30 minutes we were moved to an ideal room and 4 staff came to assist us with the move. The new room had a lake view and a large deck. I realize that this hotel cannot always accommodate room change requests, so we felt most fortunate that this worked out. Many thanks to Stephanie for helping facilitate this! The room was quiet, wonderful beds, with twice a day maid service. We thoroughly enjoyed the lake view and the deck was perfect for early morning yoga practice. Room service was impeccable and the food was outstanding. The pool, hot tub area is absolutely beautiful. It rained every day and we spent several rainy afternoons in the outdoor hot tub. The spa area is also beautiful. Be aware, it is a typical European clothing optional spa area! The lake trail and bus station were an easy 5 minute walk. Also many good restaurants within walking distance. I was very sad to leave after a relaxing, pampering, perfect 6 day stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view room if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

When you stay at Badrutt's Palace you are greeted and treated like royalty from the time you arrive until departure day. When we arrived it was raining and there was a woman waiting outside the motorcoach with an umbrella for whoever wanted one. My sister developed a chest cold on the trip to St. Moritz and the front desk called approx. 30 minutes after check-in to see how we liked our room and told her of my sister's illness and they sent up the butler with a hot water bottle and some tea and sent a nurse to help her with some medicine. The wait staff in Le Restaurant is very attentive and professional. The cool thing about the hotel's personal taxi is that it is a Rolls Royce and you can use it to go anywhere around town. The Wellness Center is fantastic and everytime you go to the pool, you are offered the use of a locker and inside the locker is a robe, slippers, a bottle of water and a comb and nail file. The outdoor hot tub is a negative edge pool that is nestled between the Swiss Alps and Lake St. Moritz. The indoor pool is heated and has a waterfall with an area that you can dive off into the pool. The stocked refrigerator includes water, soda, juice, beer and wine for your convenience. I mentioned to the concierge that is was my sister's birthday so we could use the Rolls Royce to visit the whiskey bar and the next day we come back from our train ride to Italy and there was a bouquet of flowers, a chocolate mousse cake in the shape of Badrutt's Palace and a birthday card! Wow was that impressive! One of the days we were venturing out to sight see the doorman at the front of Badrutt's Palace told us that we were expecting rain and handed us an umbrella and sure enough, the rain began shortly after we left. The rooms are very well appointed and has a breathtaking view from the balcony no matter which side you are facing. As a guest of the hotel, you are given the Mountain Pass which allows you free access to the buses, trains, funiculars, and cable cars all around the area. We visited several mountain towns outside St. Moritz using this pass and went up several mountain tops and saw spectacular views. The food at Le Restaurant was superb and the service was impeccable. I would definitely go back to Badrutt's Palace and highly recommend it to all my friends and family!

Room Tip: The side units have a balcony view of both the lake and the city with a 360 degree view of the mount...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Made an 8 night stay here in a 2 bedroom suite the last week of July, 2014. This hotel is the quintessential old world European hotel. Extremely elegant in every way with over the top service. Sits right on lake St. Moritz Dorf with breathtaking views in every room. Easy access to bus and train stations. Rooms have heavily laden hand-carved wood ceilings, heavy solid wood doors and marble everywhere, Priceless antiques fill the lobby and individual rooms. Entire staff is dressed in formal hotel attire and likes nothing more than to make you happy with any desire you may have. The indoor infinity edge pool and spa are top-notch and among the best in Europe. Be aware: The town of St. Moritz is a 3.5 hr. bus ride from the Zurich airport through a very scenic but twisty mountainous road so be ready for that. My only real complaint is that everything in the hotel and St. Moritz in general is * extremely * expensive, even for Europe - approx 3-4x US prices. (Example: $28 for 2 beers, $10 for diet coke, $58 for room service hamburger and fries- no kidding!). As a bonus, the surrounding streets are beautiful and full of stores carrying the very best of the very best names from Rodeo drive and Paris so bring your wallet if you are a shopper! It is obvious that the richest of the rich stay here when they want the best and money just doesn't matter. Overall, the service and beauty of the hotel is worth the extra charges if you have the money to spare. Would highly recommend and would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel sits on a hill and all rooms face the lake and surrounding Alps so the views are great thr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank emleestudios
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Wow! Every detail is taken care of by the staff at Badrutt's Palace. We arrived with a sick baby upon check-in. Within 15 minutes of arriving in our room, a small stuffed animal was delivered to the room as a way to make our baby feel better. So thoughtful and a step above. The room we received was a suite with French doors separating the two rooms. This was perfect in the evenings when we were able to put our baby to bed and stay up in our own room. Every day we started with the most amazing breakfast. Made to order omelets with cereals, fruits, meats, cheeses, bread varieties and bacon/sausage. When selecting food from the buffet, the wait staff would be right beside you ready to deliver it to your table for you. It was rare that they would allow you to walk across the dinning room with a plate in your hands. By far the best service we have ever received and we have stayed in wonderful hotel chains like Kempinski, Four Seasons, and Ritz-Carlton. We felt like we were staying in a palace for royalty. The location is picture perfect. From the main lobby and dining room the view is priceless.
The only thing that met expectations but did not exceed expectations was the spa. The spa area is smaller than anticipated and the co-ed section made it less comfortable than other spa experiences. Also, the treatment rooms are in a separate area than the spa area. I did enjoy a facial while there which was good. Walking into the pool area from the elevator is unexpected. It feels like you are walking into a cave, which is a little unnerving the first time. We had a great time playing in the pool, both indoors and out, with our baby.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family