“It's the image of St Moritz we all have, the palace and the lake.”

Badrutt's Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 February 2010

The Palace Hotel is St Moritz's most iconic symbol. There may be other equally good hotels but when you stay here and look out over the beautiful Engadine valley, you really capture the essence of St Moritz.

The rooms are a dynastic but not alpine style luxury, as one would expect. They do though feature a fabulous in house entertainment pack, hundreds of films at your fingertips. For a quiet night in after hitting the slopes hard this is a real bonus, plus Room Service does an amazing burger.

The pool area with tucked away jacuzzis and Daniels Steiner wellness centre are exceptional. The hotels trendy Nobu restaurant and club below are great but not very low key. However the Chesa Veglia, owned by the hotel over the road probably makes as good a pizza as any in Italy. This place is a real find, try the truffle pizza.

The breakfast room is kind of pompous and bland, with a harpist in a ballgown dress playing at the crack of dawn. Greensleeves at 8am is not everyone's bag.

And so I guess, there is your answer. It is a great but palacial hotel. It's oversized halls and overly formal dining rooms are unintimate and outdated but Badrutts more than makes up for this with its aforementioned qualities.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Probablynotajudge
There are newer reviews for Badrutt's Palace Hotel

Reviewed 15 September 2009

It'a a SUPER Hotel !!!
The room was very clean and well furnished.
Thanks a lot!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blutorpedo
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Of all the luxury hotel I've stayed in the past, Badrutt's Palace is definitely the one that has most glitz. I usually prefer smaller boutique hotel, but with all the reviews I've heard, I've decided to try the legendary Palace.

I stayed there for 5 nights in January, and I still can't justify if I had a "good" stay at Badrutt's. I was there to see the Polo on ice, and that was probably the busiest time at Badrutt's with lots of super VIPs from all over the world....

Let me break it down in pros and cons

Pros: location, location, location....It's right in the center of town, across from all the designer boutiques, easy walk everywhere, and has unblocked view of the lake.
Great service...but comes with attitude. My friend was altitude sick one night, and I asked the concierge to cancel our dinner reservation for the night. Without me asking for it, they sent us hot water and tea later! Amazing service! Though with all the VIPs there, sometimes we were ignored when we're at the concierge. Hotel also offers free shuttle for skiers, and take care of our ski pass in the hotel which is a really nice touch.
They also include mini bar and wireless in the rate which is always a nice extra.

Cons: the lake view rooms were all booked when we were there, so we only got a regular deluxe room, the room is tiny and very outdated, not what we expect when we paid over USD 1000 per night, the room is more like a USD200-300 room. Despite our tiny little room, the hotel was kind enough to offer us a room on the corner so we have a small balcony with partial lake view (great service again).
Food is mediocre, but the room service staffs were friendly and delivered our food very quick. I tried the dining room one night, nothing too special, and Nobu ...gee....is like 100 time worse than the Hong Kong Nobu, but the price is 100 times higher in St. Moritz.
Then there's service...though everything was efficient with some amazing touch, some staffs have attitude and they're pretentious. So...it is really hard to justify if the Palace does offer good service.

We were at the Kings Club one night, the music is boring, crowd is snobbish, and drinks are way overpriced, but hey I guess that's just the way it is in St. Moritz.

I don't know about other hotels in St. Moritz, but while we were there, most guests in the Palace have this mean face, so it's kind of scary!

I'd recommend the Palace to those visiting St. Moritz in the summer. With lower rates, less crowd, I think staying here in the summer has better value.

Would I come back in the winter? maybe, but wouldn't come back here on Polo weekend unless I get my own mean face :D

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank babygenius
Reviewed 1 September 2009

5 star really doesn't do justice to this hotel or the staff that work there. I stayed here during the summer and so the hotel was reasonably quiet which just added to the 5 star experience you receive from all the staff.
The rooms are very nice, with a free small mini bar and are cleaned twice a day.
They serve a great breakfast here every morning which you can enjoy on a sun drenched terrace. The food is great in the hotel, although as you would expect room service is very pricey.
They also have a great leisure area with an indoor pool and a small outdoor jacuzzi, a very nice little gym and a spa which also has a relaxation room over looking the mountains.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank tsw1966
Reviewed 25 August 2009

What an experience. I stayed here for 4 days while in St Moritz for a wedding. The snow was covering the lake and the views from the restaurant/bar/bedroom were fantastic. Reception is quaint - after being collected from the train station (by the hotel driver), I was greeted by name at the door and shown around the facilities. Then I was asked if I would like to see my room, where I taken to by a very courteous and pleasant member of the front desk staff. She carried a book with her and when I confirmed that l liked the room, the book was opened and I signed in - at the writing desk in my room!! 2 seconds later my bags arrived - delivered by another attentive member of staff who waited to see if I would like anything pressed after my journey. I handed over a pair of pants and two shirts which were delivered back to my room super-fast. I thought the restaurant was nice the one time I dined there - but I dined in other restaurants in St Moritz for the rest of my stay (try the hotel steffani) The bar was great and just seemed full of character. The one nice surprise I got was when I visited the club next door (part of the hotel), they look after guests very well - escorted to your reserved table etc. a nice touch if you want to celebrate late into the night. be careful what you order though - pricey!!
Also - The afternoon tea/coffee was crazy money - and really not worth it. it's much nicer to spend your money in the bar on a good wine while sitting at the large window overlooking the lake.
All-in-all this is a great hotel - St moritz is not a beautiful town and it really is only good for the skiing but if you find youself going - stay here if you can afford it!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I stayed at Badrutt's hotel one year ago. It was a bussiness trip (congress).
My room was double with a view to the lake. It was snowing while I was there so the view from the room was more than perfect. The room was beautiful, very clean, excellent service, excellent breakfast and food in the restaurants that look at the lake.
I would recomend this hotel if u have money to spend. It is expensive but worths the money. I dont know about the other rooms but I think that the view is important.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank anastasias22
Reviewed 18 April 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in September - had top corner suite (free upgrade) and it was sensational...

• Stayed: September 2006