“Wonderful third stay”

Hotel Languard
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
“Wonderful third stay”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel three times and each time we were so pleased with the accommodations and the friendliness of the staff. The rooms are just beautiful with wood trimmings and gorgeous views. The breakfast room is stunning as it overlooks the lake and mountains. The breakfast buffet is quite diverse and filling. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Gerrigirl6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
Thun, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I made a hotel reservation for the hotel Languard through booking.com. I got a special smart deal price for 35.-- Swiss francs for a double room. A day later the hotel director called me to inform me that they put a false rate in the computer and he wanted to renegotiate the price. After all I contacted booking.com. They wrote back to me and started lowering the rate. At the end I gave up and cancelled the reservation. Unfortunately, I am very disappointed with the way they handled the whole case. I really cannot recommend this hotel. Now I start to realize why the Swiss hotels are not doing well. As a Swiss you should avoid St. Moritz. Shame on St. Moritz and the hotel Languard.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Foster City, California (San Francisco Area)
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed two nights here with our Swiss friends. Normally they stay at the more higher end hotels which are more costly but chose the Hotel Languard since we wanted a mid-price hotel since the hotels in St. Moritz can really get expensive. They chose this hotel was because they wanted to give us a "Swiss Mountain Experience."

We took the Bus up the hill and it dropped us off quite close to the hotel. I do not recommend walking up the hill with your luggage - the hill is quite steep. If you choose to walk instead of taking the bus I recommend that you walk all the way to the end of the train station, through the in-door parking lot and through the huge glass double doors that will take you to an elevator that will take you to the mid-point of the hill so you don't have so far to go up hill (we used this several times during our wanderings). Taxi's are available but we didn't use them since the public transit is very efficient and comes every few minutes or we walked.

Upon checking in the hotel they gave us a transit pass that got us on all the buses, trams and local trains for free during our stay. It didn't matter to us since we had purchased a Swiss Pass before leaving the US but it saved our Swiss friends a bit of money since we used it to get to a number of hiking locations around St. Moritz.

Location of the hotel is great! Close to the town square and to shopping, resturants, movie theatre, etc but far enough off the main streets that it was quiet at night. I was amazed that they actually turned off the church bells at night so you can sleep but it did ring every quarter hour, half hour and on the hour during the day. Views from the breakfast room is specatcular! The hotel did have balcony rooms (and our friends said that they plan to stay here again the next time they are in St. Moritz but would book a room with the balcony instead) which over looked the lake. Our rooms had the street view instead since it was more inexpensive. This was a great place to use as a base and go hiking, come back for a late afternoon nap and then go out to wander and eat at the end of the evening. I really had fun looking at all the high end stores (furs everywhere) and listening to my husband gag over the prices - grin! I was told that it was very acceptable to wear your furs here at St. Moritz and they outdoor events where everyone wore them to show them off. This was a novel concept to me since we are from San Francisco and you only saw fake fur.

I suggest taking a walk around the lake - close by and beautiful with lots of benchs if you need and a hotel/resturant or two along the way if you want to stop for something to eat/drink but flat all the way around with a well paved flat path if your handicapped.

The hotel was quite charming and all in beautiful handcrafted wood. Lots of interesting items in the lobby / foyer to look at such as ski metals, sleds, etc. Lots of very helpful free maps and brochures which helped figuared out ones day/evening. The rooms were quite spacious and a very good size. Beds were large and comfortable, flat screen TV, etc. and the room had a safe but the old kind that you had to use a key - loved it! The whole hotel was orderly and quite clean and had a cozy feel about it. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The only problem is that I could not find a hair dryer and should have asked but kept forgetting too.

Breakfast was included with our room and it was the usual Swiss continetal breakfast, - crossants, variety of bread, cold cheeses and meats, yougart, hard boiled eggs, ceral, fruit, coffee, tea, juices -etc (all you can eat) but I have to say that the quality of the breakfast was quite high and was one of the better ones we had during trip to Switzerland.

Would I stay here again - most certainly!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hpisles
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Could not fault anything with this hotel. We had room number 24 which was large with spectacular views. No problems with towels and hair dryer was in room. Breakfast was great, typical European continental and plenty of variety. Service and cleanliness was excellent. Location near transport, shops and funiculars. Would be a great place to stay in winter as well.

• Stayed August 2013
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Many good things can be said and some areas of improvement. Hotel Languard reception is manned by a member of the family which owns the hotel and he was hospitable and generous with information regarding trails and walks and general assistance could not be faulted.

Our lake view room had a breath taking view of the lake and the mountains with huge windows. The hotel is well located, central and near the shops and restaurants, lake etc Free WiFi worked well as did car parking.

A couple of areas for improvement though: towels were majorly small and thin i.e. a hand towel and only slightly bigger than hand towel each, but surprisingly when we asked for an extra towel we received a large (but still thin) bath size towel. My husband queried why we weren't given the bigger ones in the beginning but were told the smaller ones were 'normal'....?

No hair dryer in the room, we had to ask for it and then were told that yes it was available but we needed to come down to reception to get it.

Breakfast: flies loved the salami which sat open outside any cover. The fruit salad was solely made up of bits of cut up apple and lonely pieces of watermelon, our second morning in the hotel this only got worse.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed for one night with my parents after finishing the Glacier Express train. We caught a taxi from the train station, but really we could have caught Bus No. 3 and it would have been much cheaper.
It is located in a great spot, with fantastic views of the lake and within walking distance to the main street.
Rico the owner was lovely. So so friendly and happy. He gave my parents an upgrade to a lake view room with a balcony and my Dad was over the moon!! My room was a superior single, and i also had a view of the lake.
My only complaint would be that the towels were a little old and thin. My towel didnt even wrap around me, and the hairdryer was so tiny that it cut off every minute or so because it got too hot.

Other than that a really charming place. Breakfast was really nice. Bed was comfortable. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pinkpeonie
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at the Languard, a B&B Inn during the Carnavals week 2013.
The hotel is clean, service very attentive and breakfast good with excellent bread and all you can ask for.
The room was very big and had plenty of space for 2 adults and two pre-teenagers plus plenty of skiing stuff.
The central location is very good to get around St.Moritz by foot, something you want to do as easy as possible after a day on the skis. The train up the mountain is as well very close.
The architecture outside and inside is traditional local Engadine style which is very authentic and charming.
Over all a very good experience.

Room Tip: call and ask for the type of room you want.