“Spartan but comfortable”
Review of Chesa Spuondas

Chesa Spuondas
Ranked #1 of 8 St. Moritz B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Converted 1920s villa, so has all the grandeur of a small palace but none of the expected finesse of an expensive hotel.
No soap in bathroom, only liquid soap dispensers.
No TV so wasn't able to watch the winter Olympics.
Wonderful duvets saved it for us.
Located on hillside overlooking the town, about 4km out. Great views, although we were there is really heavy wind and snow, so couldn't see much due to white out, but I imagine the view to be gorgeous.
Staff most helpful, friendly and efficient.
For the same price, we could have booked into a hotel in the town, with full hotel facilities.
Not our best, but adequate for an overnight.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have been staying at Spuondas for 10 years now and it is better than ever under Patrick and his staff. Fantastic food service and comfort. Very well placed close to the Suvretta. Can't wit to be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

stayed here one night and was put in the former 'servants' quarters downstairs which resembled a dormitory. not happy that Bathroom was across the hallway as no mention of this when booking. Horrible musty smell in upstairs dining room and lounge. On the plus side the food was excellent and breakfasts brilliant.

Room Tip: Book an upstairs room facing the lake
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We have stayed at Chesa often, I think that this was our 5th visit. It has a new manager called Patrick who is fantastic. Good value, fabulous location and really good family experience. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had no reservation. Our journey from Lauterbrunnen had wound over several (beautiful) Alpine passes and the wonderful Vorderrhein valley. We had to find somewhere to flop. St Moritz was going to be expensive but fatigue outranked budget. Rather than beat ourselves up by trying to find a bed in the main town we headed for Champfer, an adjacent village.
A small sign pointed down an lane off the main road - it might have said 'gasthof' but we stumbled on a gem.
The Chesa Spuondas was built as a private house in the twenties and converted into a small hotel in the sixties. It had a touch of Hansel and Gretel about it, even a smidgeon of Hogwarts. 220CHF for a superior room seemed pricey even by Swiss standards especially as the exclusive bathroom was across the hall and who carries bathrobes on a touring holiday?

The experience was the room and the view. Out balcony faced west over the water of Lej Champfer (the local language is Romansch) and the mountains beyond. It was sensational. The room, practically untouched since the place was built, was redolent of old Swiss aristocracy with a valuable Persian carpet too large and bulky to fold up into a suitcase. Curses!
The vintage sleigh on the landing conjured up a whiff of ponies in winter and fur-wrapped children. Everything creaked.
We slept like babes.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This was a unique and beautiful, wonderful, experience for me and my family. We only stayed one night......which was not enough. The staff, the walks, the scenery, the beautiful Villa--it was all memorable. There was a bus to St. Moritz dorf, which you really need to check times on. I regretted going and missing out on time I could have spent at this property. Slept wonderfully on the very comfortable beds and pillows. I didn't need the 4 Star St. Moritz experience or even long for it when I got here. I know this still seems expensive, but compared to what is around, it really wasn't. Breakfast was good/typical. The staff did everything they could to help us. Book this place and enjoy it.

Room Tip: There is an "old" part of house and a newer part. I stayed in the newer part and other fam...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I am giving a poor rating because the last day our hot shower failed to work. I went down to inform this to the lady at the reception Ms. Christine and she said will look into it. Even after half an hour the hot shower was not working. I had to go down again in my night dress to ask and she tells me the heater is in repair and they have called a mechanic. I wish she had been a little proactive in letting us know herself. But she did tell me she will give me a rebate on the rooms. But when we checked out a couple of hours later there was no rebate because the shower had started working by then and we had to rush to get ourselves showered and end up loosing our train on time as well! I was really disappointed that day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family