“The most beautiful castle of Bellinzona”

Castello di Montebello
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Bellinzona
Leuven, Belgium
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The most beautiful castle of Bellinzona”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

It is a very nice castle, and definetly worth the visit. Keep in mind though, that to get there on foot is a bit tricky, since it's climbing in the heat (well, during summer...) . The view is better than the other castle and it is a bit more quiet, a very relaxing atmosphere. The tourist information center told us that it was 'the little diamond' of Bellinzona. Don't miss it and head over there! You might even enjoy a beautiful sunset over there.

Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
Farmington, Connecticut
378 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 594 helpful votes
“worth a visit if you're in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the only castle in Bellinzona we visited so we can't compare it to the others. It was very nice, though mostly you are not walking inside or seeing any rooms of the castle. Very little info in English. The museum had a lot of really nice relics in it, but I have no idea where they came (no English). We were able to park right at the castle and spent about an hour exploring. Bring water, it's quite exposed and can be very hot. I would not make a road trip to tour this castle, but if you are in the area, do stop in.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Rooindie
Lafayette, Indiana
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good for a quick visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I enjoyed this castle, but it is much smaller than Castelgrande. Here you have to pay 5 CHF to look around and enter the museum though I recommend skipping the museum if you don't speak Italian, German or French as nothing inside is in English. I'm not a big museum person and not being able to read descriptions made it a bit of a waste of money for me! I did enjoy walking around the grounds though. The walkways along the walls are secured and have handrails and many more parts are blocked off than at Castelgrande. Be aware that every path you take you must turn around and take back, none of them connect to each other. The walking path up was a bit tricky for me to find but easy to follow once I found it. It's a bit rough going up but just about when I thought I couldn't go any farther I was there.

I felt the lady who I gave my entrance fee to was giving priority to people who walked in after me because they spoke Italian. It was ok though and signs are better marked at this one (perhaps because it is smaller). Overall you don't need to spend too much time here but there are several picnic tables along the wall and it would be a great place for a picnic or kite flying.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Chelsey M
Singapore, Singapore
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Well worth w visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

The long winding walk up from the city centre.... Nice houses on the way up, great view of the city, snow capped mountains..and finally the castle itself... We found the montebello castle to be more interesting than the CastelGrande...our kids aged 6 and 4 really enjoyed this castle.... Explaining the rationale, construction of the castle was easier as well.

A nice children's playground at the entrance/ exit of the castle makes it a plus for young kids... After the 25 minute trek uphill!!

Visited March 2014
Mexico City, Mexico
224 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Incredible view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The caste as such is not as impressive as the ones you find in England, Spain and France. I have yet to go to an incredible castle in Switzerland. Regardless the place is very well kept, the castle is impressive and the view is (as many places in Switzerland), breathtaking.
The museum in the castle is small but "complete" showing the history of the area and castle. They showed us a video which is not worth the ticket and in the end there is not much to see inside the museum. There is a restaurant in the caste with a beautiful view but it seemed a bit informal so we decided to skip it.
The city is beautiful and and well worth the visit. A short 35 minute train ride from Lugano

Visited August 2013