“Has character”

Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Locarno
Basel, Switzerland
“Has character”
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel's location was very good, it was relatively cheap but the rooms are quite old and have a distinctive smell. I cannot say I had my best sleep but it was still fine. The bathroom was shared but we didn't encounter anyone during our stay so that was all fine, and clean.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank DSS_Willow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 August 2013

It was the high season of tourism in Locarno when i had walked into Dell Angelou after having stayed twice already with my children for 40 franks a night.
I had been staying outside Locarno and wanted to stay a bit longer, the lady at reception
wanted 100 franks and 10 franks for dog
I moved in after agreeing on 85 since the lady claimed the film festival means it is more expensive even though two years ago i had paid 40 franks at exactly the same time, the Locarno international film festival.
I checked in Late Thursday night woke up and spent the whole day at the Locarno film festival going from one film to another finally returning to my room at 23.00 finding to my horror that someone else is in my room and all my belongings gone!
I went to reception where the lady said that the room i was staying in was unfortunately booked already, something she NEVER mentioned when i had checked in but that she would be happy to give me another room for MORE money
well, they say there is a sucker born every minute but not one whose belongings are taken out of the hotel room, i had jewelery , Labtop ,etc. not to mention someone touching my underwears socks clothes, all personal belongings
I refused to be blackmailed to paying more after the hotel staff removed my personal belongings and so i found myself in an overbooked overpriced Locarno train station at 14.00 after the city closed down for the night spending the night on a bench at the train station with my small dog
till the first train out of Locarno at 5.30
I had gone to the local police station not before having been told by the very arrogant Locarno young security workers i had to walk all around the square with my luggage and two bags since my dog was not allowed to walk the 50 meters where they had blocked off the piazza Grande even though i had an expensive film ticket to go in and the dog is tiny and old and blind.
A young security guard old enough to be my son told me "shut up" when i argued that i am tired and can not walk the whole area around among the many masses that would step over my dog.

The hotel staff by the way never apologized and said they tried to call me, of course my phone was shut off as i was in the film festival and if the room was booked that night they should have told me when i checked in which they DID NOT

It was also astonishing knowing i had been there twice before for a few days and was a loyal client though two years ago i paid HALF the amount and inflation is not that bad.

It is a beautiful old restored hotel but the attitude of the staff can only be called CRIMINAL and Locarno film festival was also a bit of a nightmare with security enough to guard a national monument not a flat screen showing very violent films this year ...

BOTH very not recommended for those not willing to robbed by the moonlight

Room Tip: Stay away from overpriced Locarno stay away from this hotel, i have filed a complaint with Locarno...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Titiana2

Travellers are raving about these Locarno hotels

Glenview, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2013

After traveling from Bellagio Italy, (boat, bus, train) to see a concert in Locarno, we were shocked when the woman checking us in told us our room wasn't at the hotel, but rather in a building down the street. It was actually a room in an apartment building. Dated from the 60's, no AC, a TV that only received one channel and the most uncomfortable bed in the world is what greeted us. Granted we were there for only one night, but it's not what we bargained for. Be careful here. The only reward was being able to hang out the roof of the actual hotel and listen to the concert. Another rarity: nobody working that day spoke English, so we struggled with my high school Spanish.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about AC if you really need it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We were here to see a festival concert in the Piazza and as location goes it was perfect as it was just a few metres away from the exit. However, that the best part of this hotel, which is a shame as it has so much potential. The rooms are very outdated and are also quite small. The breakfast was mediocre but I think this was more in its presentation than actual quality. Contrary to other reviewers, we found the staff to be very pleasant but only once we made the effort to speak Italian or German to them. English is the third language in Locarno and so it helps to get by in either of the other two. We also found that once we had made the effort to converse in their language they did then try some English.

We were there on a hot July night and with no fan or air con, it was stifling. An open window was not viable due to the noisy bar beneath (we were room 307), followed by the clear up of the festival. It was also very expensive for such an average experience (possibly hiked prices due to the Moon and Stars festival?).

PS I can highly recommend the Moon and Stars festival - top bands, stunning Piazza, amazing atmosphere!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in the Dell'Angelo, located on the edge of Piazza Grande in mid June 2013 and found it a reasonable value hotel. It was clean, comfortable and the rooms were of a good size, however despite the early time of the holiday year we found it uncomfortable during the night through lack of air conditioning. Ah! You say. How about just opening a window. Well the problem here is not the location of the hotel or the number of locals who took advantage of the catering but of a pub some 100 metres beyond the hotel and the huge numbers of noisy young people that congregated there each night until after midnight. Once they were gone the windows could be opened wide for comfort! If you yourself are party people then none of this will be a problem. However the devil always lurks and if you are a long sleeper the delivery vans will take their toll from 0630. Not a problem for us as there was so much to do that early rising is almost a must.
On the sustenance front the evening meals, while well cooked, were a bit repetitive- we had veal 4 nights from 7. The breakfasts were excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is the fourth time I have used this hotel as a base for the Ticino region and the second time I.have booked a triple occupation room. This time though, I discovered they have some rooms in the apartment block opposite the hotel. They are actually Swiss apartments so as hotel rooms these are pretty large and comfortably sleep four (no camp beds here either).

Food as usual is very good, normal restaurant prices and sitting outside on the street to eat is a pleasant and typical European past time, watching the world go by.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Middelburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed in this with our family. The location is perfect in the heart of the centre of Locarno. The hotel is basic, the staff is friendly and facilities are OK. We were positively surprised with the price, including breakfast. Good value for money!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family