“Average, but OK if you know what to expect”
Review of Hotel Dell'Angelo

Hotel Dell'Angelo
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Locarno
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Went to see Dolly Parton at Moon and Stars last night. Stayed at Dell' Angelo. Location is SUPER, 23 steps from hotel to festival entrance. After reading the reviews I was not sure what to expect of hotel. My experience: Decor is 1970's all the way. No airco. Clean. Breakfast OK-ish. Staff was efficient but not overly friendly.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Looks good from the outside.
From the moment we arrived it was obvious that those in the hotel formed two groups, the family (owners) and the staff. Most of the staff we meet were charming and obliging but the family were obstructive and unhelpful.
There was a heat wave in the area and the lowest temperature (night time) was 26 degrees but no air conditioning or offer of fans.
Breakfast was adequate but not exciting. Dinner was taken at 18:45 - 19:15 in the Dining Room except at the weekend of the concert in the square when we were moved down to the restaurant to swell numbers. The menu came in two varieties - English/French or German/Italian but it was a matter of luck which version you received. The menu was a list of the four courses being served and had no relationship to that being used in the restaurant. It repeated three times during our 7 day stay. On one occasion, whilst reading our menu, we had it wrenched out of our hands by a member of management to be given to a new arrival. We remain convinced that these meals were brought in and heated up in the kitchens.
Our waiter (no English) was a character who greeted everyone as they arrived, made them welcome and lavished attention on them. His colleague scowled permanently, spoke to nobody and banged plates down in front of guests. On one occasion whilst I was speaking to "our" waiter in the hotel entrance we were interrupted by the grouch (in french) demanding to know what was going on, fortunately my french is good enough to tell him where to go (regrettably I don't think his was good enough to understand and to act on it)
It had been agreed that when we left the hotel they would arrange the taxi to the station, pay and bill the holiday company. On arrival in reception we were informed (by two other couples) that this would not happen and we would have to pay for ourselves.
In the event we did get our taxi payed (the others did not)
This is a wonderful old hotel which still bears traces of its early decoration on the ceiling of the dining room. It is marred by the attitude of obstruction by the management, it is boosted by its working staff.
As a base it is ideal but think seriously about going half-board. This is possibly the worst experience of hotel life we have ever had.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you just need a place to stay for a night or two, it is ok, but also depending on what price you are paying. We paid under $100 so felt satisfied with what we got. The location is good, but also quite difficult to find if arriving by car. The hotel itself is tired and in need of an update. The rooms are straight from the 70's and there is kitsch throughout the property. Breakfast was not bad, and quite enough to start the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The location was the best part of this hotel for sure. Rooms and bathroom were clean enough and fine overall. Decent breakfast, not especially cheap for having a shared bathroom, as we stayed in the hostel part. Overall, fine!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I hadn't booked anything in Locarno, and did a quick search on ebookers, and found 3 rooms available at this hotel, at a cost of CHF65 per night. Rather than book online, as I was not far,I went straight to the hotel, only to be told the hotel was full. As I insisted, I was shown a room that hadn't been used in ages, smelled of mildew and naphthalene, and what I thought was a window was an opening on a service duct! The woman at reception told me that I could take it or leave it, and it would cost me CHF75. I took it as I was tired, but only stayed the one night. When I complained the next morning after a bad night and no air conditioning, the woman told me it was my fault because I had accepted the room. Rude, unhelpful, and not ethical. Stay away, there are better places in Locarno!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you pay anything!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacquesA
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We went to Locarno for Moon & Stars and wanted to be close to the action - this hotel is very central, and very reasonably priced; you actually are staying in an apartment of your own, very roomy. An excellent value for money in a beautiful city, especially if you will stay for more than a few days, as you have a kitchen of your own, fully outfitted.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel on the 23rd November 2013.It has been the worst experience in my life! I arrived late in the afternoon from Zurich ,via Basel. I was told by the man at the reception that there was no vacancy of rooms and he would give me an apartment at 100SF ,and he wanted the payment in advance!. I accepted, being too tired at the time, but it never occurred to me that it meant I should stay in an apartment outside the hotel at a nearby building!! Is twas cold when I got there and it took time to warm up . The decoration was kitsch of the worst taste, and finally I could not sleep till after midnight ,because there is a bar just at the corner opposite this building as well as the hotel and there was unbelievable noise...Let me not mention the look of the dining room where breakfast was served, which for me was inedible.i also want to point out that after a little rest I looked at "booking com." And there were still free rooms at this same hotel. Stay away from the premises if you can!
Ada Papanikolaou