“Rip off agents!”
Review of Camping Delta

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Locarno
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Rip off agents!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I would offer one piece of advise to people looking for skmewhere to camp -DON'T stay here. They are clearly some kind of rip off agents, we arrived thinking we had paid just over 100francs for our stay at Delta Camping only to be told if we wanted our pitch we had to pay another 82francs as a booking fee. We could of stayed in a nice hotel for the same price. They then stated that we would we not be allowed any refund.

My partner and I are not silly and if the charges were made clear at the start we would of booked somewhere else as there are plenty of reasonable priced campsites in the area.

Although the cost was extortionate it is not really this thay bothers me the most it is thay this was not made clear in any correspondance with the site. Therefore take this as a warning and get a full quote before booking.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scoines_13
danielaLondra, Owner at Camping Delta, responded to this review, 19 June 2015
Dear client,

we’re very sorry that your stay in our campsite was not up to your satisfaction.
Unfortunately your statement on Tripadvisor doesn’t correspond to the truth.
You can find the first clear information on our website: “Reservation Fee: CHF 100.00 (if the contract's terms are respected 50.00 will be deducted from the bill), the reserved time is to be paid on arrival.”
Camping Delta rules are clearly written on the contract that you (!) signed. Every client obtains his full quote on his contract at reservation. Finally you can always ask our employees at the reception.
Surely you must have taken notice of how beautiful the place and it’s surroundings are and the relaxing atmosphere of the whole park in general, and of our knowledgeable and competent employees?
The price reflects the quality of service that we offer our clients. It’s a stay in a 5 star campsite in an outstanding park on the shores of Lake Maggiore and the Maggia river.

Daniela Ambrosoli, Owner.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Excellent location for the Lake and the town, though extremely expensive. Including the element of the reservation fee that is not refundable, we paid GBP160 for two people in a little tent for two nights. Take away pizzas from the on-site restaurant good (€15 each, no credit cards taken). On site supermarket open every day (0800 to 2200?, no credit cards) stocks all essentials, very useful as all other supermarkets closed on Sundays. Plots generally rammed in and quite a squeeze for a larger tent and car. Quite a lot of mud and not so much grass. Very good showers and ablution facilities, and there seemed to be no shortage of them. Unless you definitely need to be in Locarno, I would push on to Italy for considerably cheaper sites/restaurants/supermarkets/etc.

Room Tip: Try not to pitch your tent on the mud!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jem B
danielaLondra, Inhaber at Camping Delta, responded to this review, 12 October 2015
Dear Jem B.

This excellent location, the wonderful park, needs to be kept in shape by five gardeners all year long which is related to multiple costs as well as the extreme cleanness of the sanitary carried out by four cleaning ladies during the entire season.

It is not mandatory to make a reservation in advance. Everyone is welcome to choose a plot according to his needs. However during the high season the most beautifully situated plots are taken very soon. Therefore we offer a reservation service. This means additional administrative work, which creates additional costs for our enterprise and for the guest.

The shop and the restaurant is not part of the Camping Delta enterprise but leased. Therefore we have no influence on the use of credit cards.

Generally the lawn is kept in a good condition and we have new plots with even more grass. Some mud could occasionally occur after heavy rain even in August.

Italy is cheaper in every sense but it does not always show the service in return. We recommend to stay a few days longer in the marvelous Camping Delta to explore the beauty and quietness of the beautiful park, the clean beaches and outstanding surroundings, swell as the kind employees. Hope to see you soon again as our guest in Camping Delta and wish you a pleasant winter.
Daniela Ambrosoli (owner)
London
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

You simply can't beat the location of the Camping Delta. Right on the lake itself, it's a spot I suspect some of those staying in the town's pricier hotels would envy.

Arriving in April, we found the site quiet but immaculately presented. We picked a spot right on the water's edge and hired bikes to explore.

There is a small childrens' playground on site, together with a restaurant and shop (which we didnt use). The toilets and showers were clean, warm and modern.

Outside the site, there is the modern Lido (right next door) and an Aldi is a short bike ride away.

I agree the pitches are pricey but we are in Switzerland and I dont think it is overpriced given the location. I would pay the same again given our experience.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank jebndelorus
danielaLondra, Inhaber at Camping Delta, responded to this review, 9 October 2015
Dear jebndelorus

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Camping Delta to such an positive extend and thank you for your kind review. Our team is always very motivated to keep our camping site in a proper condition and satisfy the needs of our guests.

Daniela Ambrosoli
Owner
Dublin
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed at this campsite in our tent for ten days, two adults and two children and absolutely loved it. Yes, the pitches are expensive but when you measure that alongside its location, it is well worth the price. Beautifully landscaped, at times you feel as though you are in a park rather than a campsite. There is a small stony/rocky beach with pretty cold lake water and a tiny sandy area but lots of grass to lie on. The shop has fresh bread and any essentials you might need. The restaurant is very good and has a playground attached so we often went there just for an after dinner coffee and ice cream while the children played. We found the staff at the shop and restaurant very unfriendly but decided that was their problem, not ours and didn't let it bother us. Three mornings a week a lovely German woman came to do arts and crafts with the children. No booking, paying or stress involved. If your child fancied making a lantern or a butterfly then they were welcome to join in, if not, no problem. There was evening entertainment too which ranged from a very funny clown (no language barrier there!) to an alphorn concert. Again, very unobtrusive and quite pleasant. The toilet and shower blocks were large, clean and had plenty of free hot water. The washing machine system was a bit of a disaster. You were expected to write your name on a list beside an allotted time but unfortunately nobody stuck to the time so things went on endlessly and it was quite a day's work to get your clothes washed. Most nights everything goes quiet by 11pm but as with most campsites there are exceptions to that. Most mornings we had early starts and people start rousing at around 7am. Clearly that depends on your neighbours and is the luck of the draw.

If you happen to be there on August 1st you will be treated to a parade of children carrying the lanterns they made at the arts and crafts class and a fire work display at the beach.

Less than one km away is the stunning town of Locarno and the trip there on foot, bike or scooter (we actually bought a couple for about 30chf locally) is along a stunning waterfront pathway. The town is full of lovely restaurants, cafes, shops and the all important ice cream shops. You will not believe how many flavours of ice cream exist!

We would definitely return to this campiste if we were back in the area. In fact we hope to do so in the near future!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank moofisch
danielaLondra, Inhaber at Camping Delta, responded to this review, 18 October 2015
Dear Moofish

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with your family at Camping Delta and thank you very much for your positive review. We understand that the unfriendly staff of the restaurant and shop has been annoying. Unfortunately we have no influence on the behaviour of these places because it is leased by a different enterprise.

Normally the washing machine system works very well with its three washing machines, three tumble-driers, and two cold and warm sinks but as long as even grown up people do not respect the system little can be done. We only can appeal to our guests to respect the camping site’s Rules and Regulations and take on consideration other people needs.

Camping Delta is looking very much forward to welcoming you and your family again in the season 2016.

Daniela Ambrosoli
Owner
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This summer my dad went to Camping Delta in Locarno for the film festival (one of the busiest moments of the year) and booked a tent spot for a whole week (quite expensive since a day fee is almost 70€...). Unfortunately the second day he arrived he found out he needed to run back home for serious personal and family reasons.
He asked if it would be possible to get at least a part of the money he payed one month ago. After 5 weeks and several phone calls he received yesterday an email explaining he wouldn't get his money back because he needed to be insured against cancellations. FOR SURE they didn't have any troubles replacing his empty tent spot.

Dear friends, I think when a business which deals daily with people has a terrible customer care, and shows how money is more important than the client itself... well then I think is important to share this with the online world, and perhaps try to prevent this by happening again. Hopefully it won't happen to you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank giuliabeta

Travellers are raving about these Locarno hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Very tired after a long trip to Locarno, spending hours in a highway jam I accepted the price of almost 90EUR / night for 2 persons + place for tent in this campsite. Yes, I was quite shocked, but it was late and I did not want to search for something else. I must say there is no good reason to pay such crazy money for this place.

Some reasons for my dissatisfaction:
1. When I was entering and leaving with my car I had to sound a horn as the electronic system to open the gate did not work
2. Security guys were unable to enforce silence at night (drunk people talking loudly)
3. The lake was pretty dirty there so I did not enjoy the bathing too much either.
4. When I was departing the camp and asking the person at the gate to open it for me, the lady told me she just hopes that I am not leaving without paying. (Btw. I should have done that.)

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, any camp in Tenero (5 minutes by car / train) will be better.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jpupik
england
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We have just come back from a week on Camping Delta with our motorhome. Not only is it twice the price of all other sites in Switzerland as far as I can see (no doubt they think due to the pleasant location by the lake - providing you don't mind looking through a wire fence at the lake and sharing the beach with the public who no doubt pay a fraction of the cost for the beach you are paying a fortune for...), BUT in a week there I had 3 showers that were almost cold.
I complained the first time, oh they were sorry.
I complained the second time, out came a weedy, pale-looking "manager" who turned the showers on, said "they are 70" (erm, I do understand centigrade you idiot), to which I replied that is hardly a hot shower. He then disappeared and left me there. I asked for some money to be refunded and was ignored. When I said that I was paying twice the amount of other Swiss campsites, which all had hot showers day-long, and that even in the ice and snow of Amsterdam last winter I had hot showers day-long for one fifth of the price Delta charges, and that I was going to put this complaint all over the internet, they cut off my internet connection immediately, i.e. one day earlier than I had paid for. This is supposed to be a 5-star site.
Do not waste your money on this rip-off site.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank cornflowerish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Locarno
ibis Locarno
Caffe dell'Arte Boutique Rooms
Hotel Campione
Hotel Campione
#1 of 2 in Bissone

Been to Camping Delta? Share your experiences!