“Awsome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trani

Trani
Ranked #18 of 377 Restaurants in Lugano
Price range: US$17 - US$45
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awsome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Passionate chef and host create right atmosphere from start. Great wine choice at goid value for money. Start with tuna or beef tartar and you already smile... Then finish with rack of lamb. If you are not on diet go for lasagne with ossobuco filling. Gourmet experience made my day... Worth the extra climb up the stairs in old town off the beaten track

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cpobradowsky

London, United Kingdom
“Loved it!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I travel to Lugano often for business and just discovered this wonderful restaurant. Such a great place, loved the food, the wine, and the decor. Staff was really professional and nice. I'll definitely be back soon!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank CharlesBurto
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Fantastic night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Wanted to surprise my girl, so called up the restaurant and asked if they could organize something romantic. Talked to the manager, Mr. Donati (yes he does speak Italian as well!). He said "No problemo" come to the restaurant and you won't regret it.
So we did, candles were disposed, fresh flowers on the table, two glasses of their finest champagne served (on the house).
The food was to die for, we ordered the tuna fish as well as the white truffle risotto...served with fresh appetizers and a bottle of Sassicaia.
Finished with some Limoncelo and two cups of Expresso's....true Italian taste with a perfect touch of service, and a great approach for details toward its clients. List of wine with the greatest names. Very cozy atmosphere, I recommend every bit of it! Cheers and thanks again Mr. Donati, hope we can make it back soon! Emil T.

Lugano, Switzerland
“I love this place. I really do.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

First of all, I would like to say that I live in Lugano so I know many of the restaurants here and Trani is actually one of my favorites!
You have to climb a little bit but it's still in the center and I think the location is slightly weird but that's what makes it special. You can also have a table outside, when it is warm enough.
Well, on with the review.
The atmosphere is really nice and cozy, which is something I really like about this place. I don't drink wine often as I am underage but the idea of putting all the bottles of wine right there is cool. It's well furnished and clean.
About the food... Where do I start? I've been here many times but I always eat the pasta or risotto since they are so freaking good. My absolute favorite is the risotto, which changes every now and then. The best one was probably the ham & melon one (I know, it sounds strange, but trust me when I say it tastes amazingly good!). I also really like their fettuccine, mushrooms risotto and lasagne. I shall also try tasting the meat someday, but for now I always have the risotto, since it is pretty addicting.
The value might seem a bit high for many. I guess it depends on what you eat, but these kind of prices are very common here in Lugano, but I think that Trani is worth it.
Oh and the service :) Everyone was always really nice to me so I never had any problems. Sometimes there is some awkwardness but that is because of me, not the waiters. The service is not ULTRA FAST like in some american restaurants, which I hate; instead, they usually take the right time to bring you the food and drinks. And I like that it's like that, because it's horrible to be on a hurry when all you want is to just sit down, relax and eat some good food.
This is a really nice place for couples but I also go with my girl friends, sometimes.
Thanks, Trani, for making me taste the best risotto ever.

• Visited September 2013
kfar saba
“Terrible place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I'm using trip advisor for almost 3 years and it usually takes me to great places. This time I could not find any similarity between latest reviews and reality... We had to wait almost 1 hour for starters and none of the waiters even bothered to apologize. When we asked if this is normal the waiter answered with very rude attitude.
Food was way below the standard for this type of restaurants and price level.
When I told the manager that I'm very disappointed with the service and the food his best answer was that other people had to wait longer time and they did their best for us. No compensation was offered, got only 10% off the check after another "chat" with the manager. Better stay away, even on a "good day״. Way overrated and overpriced.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank liran777
Francescodonati, Proprietario at Trani, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear guests,

First of all I would like to apologize again for the bad experience you had in Osteria Trani last friday night. It is very important for us that customers spend a good time in my restaurant and I have to admit that we fail on some points during your stay, but I would like to precise a few points.

First of all, during this evening we had the chance to welcome two famous jazzist from New York for a concert on our terrass. We were not waiting such a success, we had much more people than what expected. Our mistake has probably been to accept you for dinner. Maybe we should propose you to come back an other day, but as you had two small kids and it was already late we didn't want to move you in an other restaurant.

As I knew that you had small kids you receive your meals before people that arrived before you and your family. As you had been waiting too much anyway I propose you offered coffees and desserts that you refused. And I gave to you a 10% discount.

I m sure it was not the best experience, but it was not a usual evening also for us. And I m sure if you come to us again you will for sure enjoy a nice evening as all the other customers that write a positive review on tripadvisor. Comments that allow us to be in top ten restaurant in Lugano since many months.

Best regards,