“GREAT location, nice BUT not a 5* hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel Eden

Grand Hotel Eden
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Warsaw, Poland
“GREAT location, nice BUT not a 5* hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This hotel has no doubt the best location in Lugano in my opinion. Still close to the city centre, but just on a lake with stunning view. Although I LIKE to stay there and did already many times, got in general one problem with this place: this is NOT a 5* hotel from my perspective. The rooms are comfortable (I love absolutely most cozy slippers!) however not my style (kind of flashy black furniture decorated with silver ornaments). The elevators are very old. Overall the lobby and the rest of the hotel is a kind of a strange mix between poor old and “new luxury”. Service is usually nice and helpful. Breakfast… well fresh orange juice (although delicious) doesn’t make 5* breakfast itself… :( The menu didn’t change for years and it’s just poor. Scrambled eggs- uneatable. If at least the crossaints were fresh and crunchy I would survive with no complains, but they are NOT :(

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear KA_and_MA,
First of all thank you for being a loyal guest and for returning to the Grand Hotel Eden. This is our best reward!

As we take our guests’ comments at heart, we are very pleased to read your positive ones like room comfort and service helpfulness but also the negative ones like general décor and breakfast menu selection.

Be assured that we will make a good use of your recommendations which have made us already working on our breakfast presentation and menu selection.

Myself with my team are looking forward to welcoming you back again next time here at the Grand Hotel Eden.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Had a Lago Lugano view and what lovely sight to wake up to every morning. The hotel was busy with a melting pot of guests on both business and pleasure.

I enjoyed the on lake restaurant and bar and the service was very good and everyone was very eager to assist, even if English language was limited but it is always customary to try and learn a little of the language for tourists. Many guests from other hotels would come and enjoy the bar and restaurant as it is very unique.

The reception staff are very good and the décor of the hotel is old world however a modern hotel would not be in keeping with the rest of Lugano.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden and for your positive comments shared on Tripadvisor.

I am glad you could experience the friendliness of our staff and enjoy the beautiful views from your room and the unique position and personalized service of our restaurant and bar.

Together with my team, I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel is placed in a ghost town. There are lots of buildings, but no people. As a family of five we did not enjoy our experience. To get to our room we had to take a pathway underneath the hotel, take two elevators to get to our rooms. The hotel is poorly decorated. The bathrooms were large but the shower was tiny and the water would come out from under the glass. I would not stay there again or recommend it. They only good thing was the view.

Room Tip: On the water
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden and for your personal review.

I read your observations and I am very sorry that your overall experience in our hotel didn’t meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Perhaps Lugano-Paradiso (where the hotel is located) is not busy as you probably expected but I am sure that you have enjoyed the possibility to walk around the city or along the lake without worry about security or safety measures for yourself and your family.

With the hope to have another opportunity to welcome you the Grand Hotel Eden, I remain,

Your Sincerely
Zufikon, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Eden for 4 nights with our 8 monrh old daughter and honestly expected to be shunned for bring a.baby to the hotel. On our arrival they had a shuttle bus for us (need to request it) and check-in was fast. All the staff were very happy to see our daughter, no aggression about her at all. They were actually happy to see her everyday. The service to the rooms was excellent, nothing nicer than brakfast on the balcony with a view ofthe lake at no extra cost. The restaurant had a wonderful service with delicious and perfectly cooked food. All in all, it was a great experience and we will be returning to the hotel next time we are in Lugano.

Thr only thing that was a problem was the baby bed they offered...it was a travel bed and had a support in the middle. This meant that our daughter kept rolling into the corners and would cry because she couldn't get out and would only sleep im the main bed which thankfully is big enough for all 3 with rolling space and elbow room for everyone.

• Stayed June 2012
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear “kitty085”,
Thank you for your kind review about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.
I am delighted to read that you appreciated the warm welcome and kind attention given to your baby daughter. It is furthermore pleasant to read that you enjoyed the nice breakfast served in your room as well as the dining experience at our Restaurant Oasis. I personally thank you for the nice comments and review title!

On the other hand, I am very sorry to notice that the baby bed offered was not comfortable, but since I have read your comments, I have decided to replace any uncomfortable baby cot with new ones. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I am likewise anxious to have another opportunity to show you that your useful advice have not been expressed for nothing and therefore I look forward to your next visit in Lugano.

Best regards,

Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

This property is extremely well situated in Lugano. You can walk along the lake, enjoy the sculptures and be in the main area of town in just a few minutes. The hotel does not have the old world elegance found in some hotels in Europe but you won't mind that as it is very, very nice and the decor is quite attractive. Our suite of rooms was very spacious and airy and I loved the bathroom! The mattresses were very comfortable and the room was very quiet. We had beautiful views of the lake from our room and the sunsets were stunning. We had cocktails in the bar where a very convivial bartender entertained us and made us feel very welcome. Down (and across) the street is a great pizza place....I can't remember the name of it but it's a short walk going the opposite direction from the town. I ate an Indian curry pizza that was beyond delicious. Lugano is so picturesque: this hotel will definitely add to your enjoyment of this gorgeous setting. I'd love to return and spend more time in this hotel. This was a memorable stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Smiles4miles,
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your impressions about the Grand Hotel Eden and its excellent position along the lake with other travelers.

I am glad you could experience the friendliness of our staff who is constantly committed to providing the best experience for our guests and also enjoy the beautiful views from your lake front suite room.

Myself and my team look forward to welcoming you back again in one of your future visits to Lugano.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Grand Hotel for our wedding anniversary and we had a great time.

Most positive points:
-The hotel has probably one of the best location (some of the rooms are directly on the lake) and at a walking distance from the city center. The dock on the lake where they have sunbeds during the days and serve dinner at night is very enjoyabe

-The service was great, everybody was smiling and very helpful.

- While the spa is fairly small and it is a bit disapointing that the swimming pool doesn't have a direct access indoor (you see the lake through small windows), the massages are great.

Minus points:
However, there are two minus point: the first one is that the facilities are very old... when you arrive a the hotel for the first time, it doesn't look like a 5 stars at all.. everything is very old and the hotel could use some renovations.

The other minus point is the restaurant. We had diner included as part of our package and we were very disapointed. First of all, when we look at the menu we were not tempted by anything and when we finally ordered our dishes, we were disapointed by the food. It was clearly not worth the price and it was really nothing special...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden and for your comments. We were honored to have you here for your wedding anniversary!

I was delighted to read about your experience at our hotel and especially the positive comments regarding our service personnel.

On the other hand, I am sorry that for diner, nothing on our half board menu selection tempted you and also that the food served didn’t meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Certainly we will take in consideration your observations which will help us improve our half board selection and next time, if you would give us the opportunity, do not hesitate to ask to our Maître‘ d our full regular menu, in order to have more choice of dishes.

I would like to express my apologies for the inconvenience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden on a future occasion.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

This is a great hotel located in beautiful Paradiso in walking distance of the Lugano city center. Spectacular views on the Lago di Lugano.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank anaef
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear "anaef",

Thank you for your sharing your views about your recent stay at our hotel.