“Great location, great view”
Review of Grand Hotel Eden

Grand Hotel Eden
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Bristol, Connecticut, Usa
“Great location, great view”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Eden in mid-May 2013. We had a great superior room with a balcony overlooking Lake Lugano. The hotel provided a fresh bouquet of flowers, chocolates, and a bowl of fruit as a gift when you get to the room. Room was very clean, up-to-date, including wi-fi.
Only downside was the showerhead was not quite working properly.
Breakfast buffet was good. They will even bring the food to your room at no extra cost until 10 a.m. if you want to eat in your room
Location along the promenade was wonderful with a 10-15 minute walk to the center of downtown area. They have a nice patio on the water. Staff service is excellent. One night we wanted to have a snack and we requested items not on the menu (cheese plate, fresh fruit) to go with prosecco. They were happy to accommodate and created a wonderful dish.
I would recommend this hotel if staying in Lugano.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Thomas M
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear "tlmika"
Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel and for sharing it with other travellers.
It was a pleasure to read your comments which reflect exactly our personnel attitude; kindness and happy to accommodate every guests’ needs. I look forward to welcoming you back in Lugano and until then I remain with my kindest regards.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This hotel is around a 10 - 15 minute walk from Lugano along the lake. Our room was spacious and the service at breakfast was excellent. Breakfast had a good variety, although omelettes were an extra charge. Cappucinos could be requested at breakfast. We had dinner at the hotel one day, and the food was extremely salty. We ate dinner elsewhere on our other evening there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoneTravelin
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear "GoneTravelin"
Thank you for your positive remarks and review about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our room spaciousness, our service and our buffet breakfast. With regards to your dinner experience, I am very sorry to read that the food was very salty and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Together with my team I look forward to your next visit here in Lugano. Best regards.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Great hotel, great location, excellent reception staff - Elenia, Cristina, Stafania, Victoria and Saul, thank you very much for everything. Special mention also to the bartenders downstairs (Alessandro and Salvatore, great chaps) and to the breakfast team. Well worth hotel and city. Thanks to all for a great stay. 'Will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the lake. Great, great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear “BRCastro”,

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your impressions about the Grand Hotel Eden with other travelers.

I am glad you could experience the friendliness of our staff who is constantly committed to providing the best experience for our guests.

Together with my team, I look forward to your next visit here at the Grand Hotel Eden.

New York, NY
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Great location and beautiful view of the lake and of Lugano. The hotel has two buildings and a partial lake view means you will be in the back building slightly off the lake. The breakfast has everything from eggs, to cereal, pastries, cheeses and cold cuts, smoked salmon, yogurts and fresh fruits.Take advantage of the free shuttle from the train station because a five minute taxi to the hotel will cost upwards of 20 CHF. The sauna is small but very clean and has an adjacent indoor poor area to relax and cool down while enjoying free tea, juice, or water.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear “Wendy T”,
Thank you very much for your positive and great review. Together with my team, I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden.

Dublin
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I am amazed by some of the good reviews that this hotel has received in Trip advisor.
I have been staying at this hotel for ten years now as it is a hotel I have to use through business and I stay several times every year yet every time I arrive there they ask me whether this is my first time staying with the hotel! Then usually they are unable to find my booking or have the number of nights wrong and even when I show them my e mail reservation they will still claim they had not got the booking, particularly the older man who mans reception.
The rooms on the city side are decorated in bizarre silver/snakeskiin style and even though the lake side rooms are more peacesful they are still not furnished to 5 star standards. Though most of their guests seem to be english speaking they only have CNN and BBC World as English TV channels and no radio channels. In summer it is possible to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful lake views (and there is no doubt that the hotel is in a wonderful location) but in winter there is no general lounge areas for guests to enjoy, only at reception and the rather seedy bar.
Staff are singularly unhelpful and often rude except for Giorgio who seems to look after the pool area and Linda, the really great masseuse.
Breakfast is good and served in a room which again has fabulous views but otherwise the food is average and greatly overpriced. If you are ordering room service it is not possible to get just a glass of wine, only a bottle....incredible.
If you can, avoid this hotel and if you have a little more money or the choice try its sister hotel, the Splendide, which also overlooks the lake and is a world apart from the Eden in terms of surroundings and staff

Room Tip: Try the more expensive lake side rooms as more peaceful
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This is a wonderful hotel with a beautiful location, right on the lake Lugano. It was the most amazing hotel we have ever stayed in for a restful and relaxing holiday in Switzerland. The rooms we stayed in overlooking the lake had stunning views.The service was excellent. The staff (particularly the concierge and front desk) were extraordinarily accommodating, helpful, friendly and polite. They extremely knowledgeable of the surrounding areas and gave us great help selecting and scheduling places of interest to visit. Boats trips can be boarded from the pontoon just in front of the hotel and the most landmarks are within a short walk.
In short; I and family members wouldn't hesitate to book a stay at the Grand Hotel Eden again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Khalid F
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing such a nice review about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden with other travellers.
I am glad you could experience the friendliness of our staff, the quality of our service and enjoy the beautiful views from your room, which are always one of the highlights of our guests’ experience.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again in one of your future visits to Lugano.

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The hotel has a great view and a great situation on the lake, but to be honest for this category of price I would not say it is 5 stars but rather 4. The hotel rooms and the lobby are really 80's looking and overall the EDEN hotel building looks rather 80's style. This is a shame because the services in the hotel are very good: the staff is just perfect, and the location is the best in Lugano in my opinion! But renovating the hotel in a more modern way could give this extra touch that makes your stay unbelievable. And another tip: no free WIFI in such a hotel is unacceptable!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and for your review. I am very pleased to read that enjoyed our services, location and furthermore that you appreciated all the efforts that our staff does in order to exceed our guest’s expectations.

With regards to our free Wi-Fi offer, I can only say that I have reviewed all recent comments related to this service and I have decided to change our basic offer to a 24 hours free Wi-Fi connection for all our guests.

Together with my team, I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden on a future occasion.