Best Western Hotel Bellevue Au Lac
Hotel Pestalozzi Lugano(Lugano)
US$149
US$146
Travelocity
Hotel Villa Selva(Lugano)(Great Value!)
US$228
All reviewslake viewlake luganocity centreparking placecomfortable stayjunior suitebreakfast was includedexcellent locationsmall balconybwdriclaudioparadisostationluggageconferencegarage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2011

The hotel is located on the best possible place in Lugano. You are in front of the lake. 5 walking minutes away from the center. You can park in front of the hotel and get a parking in the back later. The view we had from the 2nd floor was amazing. Make sure to pay the extra to get a room with front balcony! The hotel is a little bit antique, but in perfect shape. They really did take good care of it and some things have already been renovated. A lot of details.

The reception was really friendly and nice. We did not have a reservation but the procedure was still very quick. They were kind of busy with phonecalls and check ins, but they managed to give us a room and a parking in no time, always keeping a friendly and warm atmosphere.

Room Tip: Make really sure to pay the extra money for a front balcony room. The hotel is all about the View.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marc M
Reviewed 16 September 2011

a really nice hotel, lovely quiet room, air conditioning, nice bathroom, friendly helpful staff, breakfast buffet with good choice, good location with fantastic views. Away from all the hustle and bustle of Lugano center but near bus and lake boat stop which made commuting easy. Lovely walk along the lake to Lugano Center.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank AngelMeilen
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Having arrived after midnight, I asked for a 2pm late checkout and was told that the hotel was expecting a large group the next day so this was not possible. I asked for the hotel manager to call me the following morning but this did not happen. Instead I received an unwelcome early morning wake up call from reception.

The room itself had not been updated in the last 20 years. The furniture was old and grotty and the bathroom simply shocked me (especially the orange shower curtain).

Upon check out (we checked out at 11am) I was told that the room had not been paid for in advance (even though my credit card details had been requested in advance) and that I would have to settle the bill. I provided a credit card and was told that it was not working (even though I used it for several transactions later on the same day). Having paid in cash, I was not provided with an invoice/receipt and therefore had to ask for one.

The whole experience was very negative and I asked to speak to the hotel manager again. I was told that he was not available and that I could raise any concerns with the lady at reception, with whom I subsequently shared all of my concerns. The lady at reception told me that I had no right to complain as my room had a nice view and the credit card issue was the fault of my bank.

All in all, considering the demeanour of staff working at the hotel, the lack of interest shown by the manager, the unwillingness to accommodate the requests of guests, the room itself and the fact that this is not a cheap hotel at close to £300 per night, I feel this is the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I would strongly recommend people not to stay here and instead book in the holiday inn which is round the corner and cheaper. The only saving grace was that the other lady on reception later acknowledged that her colleague was very brash in the way she spoke to me and apologetic on her behalf.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank AmirSethu
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Located at the quiet end of town, we found it more pleasant. The bus stop is at the door to take you to the center. The rooms here very spacious and good beds and had a fridge, and really good air cond. We also had a side view of the lake and small balcony which was relaxing after a day sightseeing around the town. Lake front it just across the road with nice flat walking paths which lead to the town. the service was good an the staff friendly. Breakfast was included and had a good range of items to choose from and could be eaten inside or out on the patio. Found it very easy to get around with the train station being accessable via the funicular that ran from the town up to the station.
The hotel had a few cafes to choose from locally and supermarket close by. Located very close to the san salvadore funicular (not for the faint hearted) it was a nice location to spend a few days here. One trip i thought brilliant was the train trip to Benezone 1/2 hr very impressive old castle and surrounding township made it a lovely day out. Would use again if in Lugano.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lassie79
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Staff wonderful and English speaking, beautiful lakefront setting, not too far from town, great breakfast...room was quiet and luxurious, bed super comfortable.

My only complaint was that my key needed to be recoded every day for some reason.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo