“Avoid the "business rooms" at the front of the building at all times”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de la Paix

Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“Avoid the "business rooms" at the front of the building at all times”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I booked a room at a client's business rate, so I got a business room at the front of the building, right at the busy corner of two streets. The rooms was a sauna so I opened the door to the balcony, planning to keep it that way in the night because I like to sleep with windows open. The sound of the traffic was horrible. My two colleagues got rooms on another side of the building, nice and quite. So I went down to the reception desk to ask if I could get a quite room where I could open the window. I could only if I would pay extra (my colleagues paid the same as I did) to upgrade from a business room. I wondered why. So after a terrible night with just a few hours of sleep I took a shower, which kept alternating between cold and hot, until it decided to stay cold. By that time I was so done with this hotel that the breakfast buffet could only do more wrong. Whatever you do, avoid the "business rooms" at the street corner and the front of the building.

Room Tip: No business room at the front of the building. Terrible sound of traffic
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
DirezioneDLP, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Mr. Gerard,

thank you for reviewing our hotel.

We are very sorry for what has happened and we can just say that unfortunately the situation was not handled properly, as it should.

Your comment is really useful to let us know where we need to focus and what we have to do to improve and to avoid this kind of episode.

The only thing we feel to specify is that all our windows are sound proofed so when they are closed, from inside you do not hear absolutely nothing.

We do understand that a bad night with just few hours of sleep makes everything terrible but, we hope to have the chance to welcome you again and to show you that our Hotel is something else.

With kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I was very pleased by service of the hotel-from people on the front desk, to the cleaning ladies. From the moment I entered the door with my suit cases-they told me that I get a complimentary double room and tickets to the local museums +the coupon for the dinner at their restaurant. They also checked me in within a second.
In de la paix you definitely do get a royal treatment-very polite and incredibly professional. Most of the time spent at the bar-special thanks to the bartender, great service, was a pleasure staying there.
Because of that and the very convenient location, I'm planning on coming back again, and I will definitely stay at de la paix.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Overpriced and underwhelming. Rude staff, weathered room, no service. The breakfast was good. They sell you one experience and deliver a far inferior one. I would avoid this hotel at all cost- and did I mention it was ridiculously overpriced?

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank andipenni
DirezioneDLP, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel de La Paix.
We actually are quite astonished to read the title of your review.
Unfortunately It is always very hard to answer generic reviews, as we do not have any detail that could help to check some of the elements you mentioned.
Anyway we hope you have the chance to stay in our hotel again, we are fully at your disposal to discuss directly with you inconveniences, if there will be any.

Kindest regards
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

I spent 2 nights here in December 2012. Service was friendly and the room more than adequate.

I found the bed a bit hard, but that's personal preference. Te room was warm spacious and comfortable and the bathroom fine with quality toiletries. The restaurant does great pizza and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Perfectly fine for a 2 night business stay. I would definitely use the hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John H
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Being there for business and the weather being also unusually cold, we could not appreciate the hotel services in their entirety. We could hold business meetings in a hidden corner of the foyer without being disturbed, and the staff was always very helpful. Most convenient also the fact that some of the staff could speak Arabic and also English was excellent.
Breakfast area is not exceptional, but well served. The beds are very comfortable and the satellite TV choice ideal for Arab guests, even though they are not frequent guests.
Excellent free WiFi everywhere, and typical Swiss professional service.
A good hotel to stay in for those who do not want to spend a fortune, yet stay in a classy environment.
Beside the hotel there is a convenient pizza restaurant, but the pizza is average, too thin for my taste. Convenient also the supermarket just across the street, but shops close at 6:30 pm !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here on business, booked by my client, and so had some worries given the reviews on this site.

The hotel has a mediterranean feel - palms, balconies, swimming pool and a view down to the lake promenade (about 250m away - very convenient and lovely for an evening walk).

The foyer and main areas are cosy without being shabby and actually provide a refreshing change from the cold marble and anonymity of international hotels. The staff were welcoming and friendly.

The rooms were very generously-sized, clean and had very comfortable beds.

The hotel has recently put in free (yes!) wifi throughout the hotel, and they also provide free mineral water and a large bar of toblerone. What's not to like about that? :)

Unfortunately, the free wifi does not work with Macs! There's one access point in the bar that allows Macs to connect, then you download Firefox, then you authenticate, and then you can return to your room and authenticate with Firefox. Chrome and Safari wouldn't not work...

This is a total pain. My sheer disbelieving annoyance was assuaged by the staff's helpfulness, plus their assurance that this was a teething problem as a result of the new free wifi. I can't really complain too much (since I'm all for free wifi) but Mac users should be aware and keep a copy of Firefox on their hard drives just in case. This may well be fixed soon, but if you're booking directly it's worth asking about.

There's an 'attached' pizza restaurant that's friendly and (for Lugano) good value.

The breakfast room is a solid buffet - good without being exceptional - but there's a nice terrace that's bright and a fun place to eat even into early autumn.

In all this is a nice change from standard hotels - luxury and good services without being anonymous. Given the convenience for my client (15 minute pleasant walk) and to the lake I'd return here happily - but I'd check the wifi first.

Final tip - ask for a room with a balcony - makes a massive difference and lovely to look over the lake and mountains rather than through a window.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ianjindal
DirezioneDLP, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing Hotel De La Paix, we are very pleased to read all your good comments regarding our property.
All the efforts to meet our client’s needs seem to be appreciated day by day and we are proud for every happy guest we have.
Regarding the problem with Safari, unfortunately the last version of Safari has a special protection that does not allowed a connection with our access window, practically Safari did not recognized the code as a friend code. We tried very hard to solve the problem, involving different technicians Mac’s expert and not and finally, after a couple of month of studying and testing we finally did!
Right now there are no problems anymore with Safari and our clients can totally enjoy our free wi-fi service.

We thank you again for your review, the comments of our guests are the best way to know where should we improve, we hope to have the chance to welcome soon again at the Hotel De La Paix!

Best regards
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed at this property in the month of december 2011. Let me start by the hotel property - needs renovation of course. You can search for far better options in Lugano at these rates.They truly make the hotel shine at their website - please don't get misleaded - coz we did.
Rooms just about ok, curtains needs to be short - kinda overpowering the room - i mean they give you a shrinking feeling.Breakfast is a decent spread. Again nothing romantic about the hotel.
eventhough it was Christmas and New year's time the hotel was not done up to stun you.
I wish them early recovery.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple