“Waterside restaurant with a nice atmosphere”
Review of La Cucina di Alice

La Cucina di Alice
Ranked #11 of 381 Restaurants in Lugano
Cuisines: Italian, Swiss, Mediterranean, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Iwade
“Waterside restaurant with a nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed eating outside. The views are magnificent of the lake. The Italian cuisine was really delicious and I would recommend this restaurant. Waiters were friendly too. Reasonable prices.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
“A fortunate accident”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stumbled across this place on a Saturday while wandering around Lugano. We did not have reservations but we were a bit ahead of the lunch crowd. We were seated quickly and really experienced attentive service throughout our meal.

We were served a simple bruschetta as an amuse-bouche which was unexpected but delicious.

My husband and I ordered glasses of the a lovely Langhe white wine to accompany our meal. He had the chicken caesar which looked great and he really enjoyed. I had a fantastic salad of turbot, asparagus and citrus (oranges) with mixed greens--it was really good. I had never considered pairing asparagus with citrus but it is a nice combination. They were happy to accommodate our son who is a picky eater and served him a simple grilled chicken breast that was not on the menu.

Alice stopped by our table and brought the kids gummis at the end of the meal. We asked where to catch a taxi and she called one for us.

Our experience was wonderful. I would like to point out that other reviewers have complained this place is expensive. Frankly, we didn't find a place in Lugano (or Ascona) that wasn't expensive. Prices everywhere in Lugano exceeded what we typically encounter in Zurich. So when you see that be forewarned--just about everywhere in Lugano is going to be steep.

• Visited May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Harse to say poor but it could improve”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked but were ignored upon entry. Took 30 min to get wine. The staff were not great. One person, I presume the owner, was exceptional but leave the rest of the staff out as they were not at all responsive not helpful. The food was good. Tables close together. We had a great view of the lake.

• Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Good food but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A colleague and I tried eating here one evening on the recommendation of the hotel staff where we were staying. It was fully booked and we had no reservation. They were a bit rude in telling us so but it looked like a nice environment so we booked to eat there the following day.

The next evening, the service was very friendly. There was a good choice of local and Italian food. They gave a complimentary amuse-bouche of smoked salmon and potato which was very nice. We were very happy with our meals and very full at the end!

Even though it is a nice restaurant and I can't fault anything they did, I still have to say that this place was pricey for Swiss standards. It is expensive to eat out in Switzerland in general, but for the food I got, although good quality, 16 francs starts getting out of hand for a bowl of soup for example.

I can recommend this restaurant for their food and service on this night, but only if you feel like splashing out a bit for a meal out.

• Visited March 2014
Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
“Good food, lousy service”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have visited this restaurant maybe 10 times and step by step the service level has decreased.
Recently I had lunch here together with two friends and it became a disaster in terms of waiting time and lack of service. We had to wait for everything, we had to spend almost 1,5 h for a simple lunch. The food was good and it has always been good every time but the price level is a bit steep so you should really expect more from this place.

I will not come back in a long time because of the bad service and the long waiting time because the food is not that good...

• Visited March 2014