“We loved it- would definitely recommend!”

Hotel Delfino Lugano
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Lugano
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from a week long stay at the Delfino and would wholeheartedly recommend it. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times and our room was a good size with a pristine ensuite bathroom and a balcony overlooking one of Lugano's two big mountains, Monte San Salvatore. Breakfast was sumptiouswith a large selection of breads, croissants, cereals fresh fruit, meat and cheese. It was also served until 10am so no need to get up too early as is the case in some hotels! The swimming pool was beautifully located on a first floor terrace with a view over the mountains.
The only slight downside is the location - it is about a 15-20 minute walk from the town centre and the station. The walk to the town centre is so scenic that you don't really notice the distance. However, if you will be using the station a lot, it would probably be better to get the bus. The No2 bus travels from the town centre to the hotel via the railway station and only costs 1.60 CHFs for a single ticket.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank teabag80

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here for a weekend for a family celebration. Although the hotel is not in the centre it is a pleasant walk downhill and either along the lake or down a road. Taxis are very expensive but outside the hotel is a bus stop and for 2 swiss francs you can take a bus into Lugano. You need to have change and purchase the ticket before getting on the bus. On return you need to get off at St Birgitta and the area is paradiso. We found the hotel lovely and although the rooms are small, perfectly adequate and well equipped. Each room has a balcony with chairs. Spotlessly clean and lovely, helpful staff. The pool area is a delight to have a drink, enjoy a meal or sunbathe. Beach towels are provided in the room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank vintagecouple
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Location quite ok, if you like walking. Takes 20 min to downtown.
Rooms quite small, facing west poor view.
Pool area ok, could be more attractive. No decoration whatsoever, just outdoor furniture. Area Not in use. Poor service. Even on pleasant mornings breakfast outdoor imposs (statement by hotel
mmgt: what do you expect, we
have ninety guests! If everybody
wants this!)
Very filthy carpet in staircase from
lobby to restaurant and pool area.
Price-value not adequate!
Good parking if you come by car.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I had a fantastic stay at the Hotel Delfino. I stayed in two different rooms, a single facing San Sal and a double facing the lake. Both were excellent rooms. The beds were very comfortable, the bathrooms were we thoughtfully arranged, and the balconies were a treat. I didn't have luck setting up the internet in my room but I used the lobby computer.
The staff is exceptional. I needed many questions answered and they were happy to help me with everyone of them. The breakfast was very good. The fruit salad was my favorite.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2010

hello trip advisor readers!! im a mexican girl who was working into hotel´s of 5 starts and 5 dimonds at playa del carmen mexico, and now I´m staying at switzerland with my swiss bf!, we were looking for a good hotel for a good price, lugano its extremedely expensive! so we found this hotel, we thought it was far away from the village!(lake and touristic places) but it´s only 5 minutes by car and maybe 10 minutes walking. The only maybe bad thing for people who doesnt has car it´s that you have to climb one hill for getting there! but that´s not a big problem!!.also in the corner of the hotel there´s a stop for a buss, For people who has car you can pay a parking lot at the hotel for 15 chf, if not and if you are lucky, you can park outside the hotel(that´s what my bf and me did) it was safe!. When we arrived to the hotel, the tall blond receptionist was a little bit serious, maybe she need´s to smile a little bit more, she told us to go back at 3:00 pm that its the time for cheking in, so my bf and i decided to make a city tour at lugano(beautiful, romantic, with the best pizza!) and then we came back, the room was ready! it´s small but clean, i checked every spot! including inside the toilett, its really good for people who only want´s to rest and visit the city, it was a bath in the shower and minibar that you have to pay if you drink something, necesary amenities at the bathroom nothing fancy.In the night there are not any activity only a restaurant bar that it´s open, but always you can go outside the city! that´s what my bf and I did, we went to casino(Miryam the receptionist was really kind and she gave us 10 usd each cupon for playing the rulet at the casino) of course we lost but she was really kind for helping us in our questions, and then dancing to this nightclub calling privilage it was so nice! but expensive 20 usd entrance plus drinks.
In the morning with the fare that you pay they gave you breakfast(juice, bread, cheese, jambon, yogourh,fruit, butter, confiture, cereal, coffe, tea) it was nice really!
Im really happy with this hotel, and if one day i go back to lugano i will stay once again here, as was clean, confortable, and good price.
i hope my comment helped you to decide where to stay!
hasta luego!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimenasegovia
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We spent the weekend at Hotel Delfino in Lugano with family, two children (9 and almost 6 years old) and grandparents. We had a family room, the grandparents a double room.

The family room was very spacious, with the pull-out bed for the children very comfortable indeed. Lovely soft bed sheets and duvets for all of us. The family room has a large bathroom. Room with balcony and view over Lake Lugano.

Breakfast buffet lovely and the food offered in the hotel of superb quality. We had lunch and dinner there on both days. Absolutely delicious. A great selection of wine too.

The hotel has an outdoor pool, underground parking (Sfr15 per day) and small dogs (Sfr15 per day) are allowed (although not in the pool area or the restaurant ofcourse).

The hotel is located within walking distance to Lake Lugano (no more than 5 minutes) and it takes approximately 10-15 minutes to walk to the centre. A nice walk it is indeed, along Lake Lugano.

All hotel staff was very friendly and all of them speak English.

We will definitely go back there and highly recommend this hotel when you visit Lugano.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank irishwife1967
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I took a 5-day trip to Lugano in November 2009 and chosen this hotel, based on its discount and 3-star classification. I expected this would imply a reasonably comfortable hotel at a good price. I was very wrong in this initial assumption, as will be revealed below.

The room that I was given had a locked door separating it from another guest room, besides the door to the corridor. As such, I could hear any noise the guest in the other room made, from the blowing of the nose to the putting and taking off of the socks and I expect he was able to hear any noise from my room. I have never seen such an appalling arrangement, even at 1-star hotels. I could not have any privacy during my stay and I cannot find any valid reason for which the door was not walled in or the two rooms joined into one.

My next complain is about the heating system in the room. During the day, the system worked, but, since at that time most guests are not in the hotel it is largely irrelevant. From 8-9 in the evening the heating system stopped completely, even when being set to maximum intensity. On the day that I arrived I was dead-tired, set the heating to maximum and fell asleep at about 8 in the evening. I didn't expect that the heating would completely stop at the beginning of a night of November in a mountainous region. In the morning, I woke up cold as a corpse and with a bad cold, nausea and headache. In the incoming days I had to explicitly request that the heater be turned on during the night and I had to make this request each and every day to the receptionist and even so there was just a very limited amount of heat being channeled into the room. I can only guess that the hotel wanted to make savings at the expense of the comfort and health of its customers. As I returned home, I had to be treated in a hospital for the flu acquired there.

Third major complain is about the elevator system, again one which would be inappropriate even for 1-star hotels. The elevator had two exits, one being secured, but the other one leaving the wall open as the elevator motioned to the desired floor. One could get hurt badly, as there was no warning to the elementary lack of safety of the elevator, not to mention the extreme peril for children, which could get their limbs stuck and be injured badly by the device. Also, the elevator did not even have a simple command queueing facility, so any other customer calling it while you are inside the elevator would override your destination and force the elevator to move to his / her floor. This means that, assuming some elevator crowding, one would be forced to use the stairs or run the real risk of never reaching the destination.

As the good parts, I should mention the tasty and rather varied breakfast and the nice bathroom. Still, overall, this hotel reveals a flagrant disrespect for its customers, considering the most of the situations mentioned previously are noticeable and painful to bear and rather straightforward to fix and improve upon. That they were not solved, proves the hotel's level of commitment to its customers.

I obviously cannot recommend the hotel in the state that it is now and am deeply regretful for being deceived into booking it for my stay in Lugano.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business