“Super Hotel”

Hotel Delfino Lugano
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We spent the weekend at Hotel Delfino in Lugano with family, two children (9 and almost 6 years old) and grandparents. We had a family room, the grandparents a double room.

The family room was very spacious, with the pull-out bed for the children very comfortable indeed. Lovely soft bed sheets and duvets for all of us. The family room has a large bathroom. Room with balcony and view over Lake Lugano.

Breakfast buffet lovely and the food offered in the hotel of superb quality. We had lunch and dinner there on both days. Absolutely delicious. A great selection of wine too.

The hotel has an outdoor pool, underground parking (Sfr15 per day) and small dogs (Sfr15 per day) are allowed (although not in the pool area or the restaurant ofcourse).

The hotel is located within walking distance to Lake Lugano (no more than 5 minutes) and it takes approximately 10-15 minutes to walk to the centre. A nice walk it is indeed, along Lake Lugano.

All hotel staff was very friendly and all of them speak English.

We will definitely go back there and highly recommend this hotel when you visit Lugano.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank irishwife1967

Reviewed 24 November 2009

I took a 5-day trip to Lugano in November 2009 and chosen this hotel, based on its discount and 3-star classification. I expected this would imply a reasonably comfortable hotel at a good price. I was very wrong in this initial assumption, as will be revealed below.

The room that I was given had a locked door separating it from another guest room, besides the door to the corridor. As such, I could hear any noise the guest in the other room made, from the blowing of the nose to the putting and taking off of the socks and I expect he was able to hear any noise from my room. I have never seen such an appalling arrangement, even at 1-star hotels. I could not have any privacy during my stay and I cannot find any valid reason for which the door was not walled in or the two rooms joined into one.

My next complain is about the heating system in the room. During the day, the system worked, but, since at that time most guests are not in the hotel it is largely irrelevant. From 8-9 in the evening the heating system stopped completely, even when being set to maximum intensity. On the day that I arrived I was dead-tired, set the heating to maximum and fell asleep at about 8 in the evening. I didn't expect that the heating would completely stop at the beginning of a night of November in a mountainous region. In the morning, I woke up cold as a corpse and with a bad cold, nausea and headache. In the incoming days I had to explicitly request that the heater be turned on during the night and I had to make this request each and every day to the receptionist and even so there was just a very limited amount of heat being channeled into the room. I can only guess that the hotel wanted to make savings at the expense of the comfort and health of its customers. As I returned home, I had to be treated in a hospital for the flu acquired there.

Third major complain is about the elevator system, again one which would be inappropriate even for 1-star hotels. The elevator had two exits, one being secured, but the other one leaving the wall open as the elevator motioned to the desired floor. One could get hurt badly, as there was no warning to the elementary lack of safety of the elevator, not to mention the extreme peril for children, which could get their limbs stuck and be injured badly by the device. Also, the elevator did not even have a simple command queueing facility, so any other customer calling it while you are inside the elevator would override your destination and force the elevator to move to his / her floor. This means that, assuming some elevator crowding, one would be forced to use the stairs or run the real risk of never reaching the destination.

As the good parts, I should mention the tasty and rather varied breakfast and the nice bathroom. Still, overall, this hotel reveals a flagrant disrespect for its customers, considering the most of the situations mentioned previously are noticeable and painful to bear and rather straightforward to fix and improve upon. That they were not solved, proves the hotel's level of commitment to its customers.

I obviously cannot recommend the hotel in the state that it is now and am deeply regretful for being deceived into booking it for my stay in Lugano.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank fireblade85
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We looked for a nice hotel for our weekend in Lugano, trying to avoid the kind of cheap tourist traps that we all fear. This hotel was actually better than I had anticipated: we got a nice, renovated room with some good views. Breakfast was also very good.

While not very central, the hotel was perfectly located for us traveling by car - we found a free parking place outside.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Delfino. Although the room was a little small, it had functional air conditioning which was a life saver, a very comfortable bed, a great bathroom, and marginal closet space. Breakfast was wonderful with a wide choice of fresh breads, meats and cheeses, and great coffee.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights the end of August and found the Delfino to be a nice little hotel nestled above the main street lakefront in Lugano. It was about a 10 minute walk down a big hill to the piazza where we frequented for meals, shopping, and tourist activities. The rooms were clean and spacious, and we found the staff very friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. There were a few times that I wished we had been closer to the "center" of activity and wasn't as enthused about the walk back up the hill, however, once we were settled back in our room, it was very quiet and pleasant (plus, we needed to walk off all the delicious meals we ate)! We didn't swim, but found sitting by the pool very pleasant--enjoyed a lunch poolside and it was delicious and staff was great. We hope to return to beautiful Lugano someday and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank greenchile22
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We arrived in Lugano and at the hotel quite late. The reception staff were welcoming and spoke fluent English which faciliated our check in considerably. There was parking available, but in reasonably cramped quarters (took about 10 minutes to get in a space - but it was certainly better than trying to track down a space in the neighbourhood).

Our room was beautifully appointed - in a modern boutique hotel style. It was, however, a little bit on the small side. We were travelling with our young daughter and although a cot would have been possible, it would have left little room to negotiate, so we opted to all sleep in the one bed. The room was much more up to date than photos of the hotel would suggest. It had a sweet little balcony overlooking Lake Lugano and the city itself. It would be perfect for a couple.

Although we didn't use it because our stay was short, there was a pool, which looked very pleasant. If going to Lugano for a weekend in the summer, the pool would definitely have been a selling point for us - a nice retreat in the afternoon after a morning of touring.

A good continental breakfast is served in the morning which we thoroughly enjoyed.

The Delfino is perched up the hill from the centre of the city which is great for views, but might be a little further out than desired if you want to leave the car behind.

All in all, though it was a little small in our particular circumstances, we thought the Delfino represented good value for money and was a great little boutique hotel in a fantastic city!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 August 2007

We enjoyed our short stay at the Delfino, with only one problem - do not leave anything on your dining room table in the morning!! We were taking multi vitamins to ward of colds and flu, and our first day I left them on the table in the dining room. Obviously I didn't miss them until the next morning, was sent from pillar to post, and eventually ended up in the reception, where I was rather snootily told that as I hadn't claimed them the day before they had been thrown away.She made out as if she had done me a great favour keeping them even for the day, and shame on me for not claiming them earlier. I wasn't impressed, and made it clear. Most people taking meds in the morning won't notice them missing until the next morning!

In so saying, the hotel was very comfortable, clean, very good breakfast, and apart from this particular lady, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only problem we had with the location is that, yes, it's a short distance from the front and town, but, what goes down must come up, and as a bit of a fattie, I did battle with the climb back up, but that's my problem not the hotel's!

The bus from the station stops right outside, which is great.

Overall, a very good visit.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family