“Opulent and Lavish”

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here during our trip around switzerland. This hotel is amazingly opulent with expensive chandeliers, antique furniture and marble everywhere. It borders on pretentitious, but then you read the "golden book" of famous guests and maybe the standards are in line with millionaire row, so an average person like me feels overwhelmed by an exhuberence of wealth!! That said, it was totally flawless in terms of service. cleanliness, location and decor. Also the food was unbelievably delicious with an abundant array of choicce for breakfast - everything you could possibly possibly imagine - and more!!! The bedroom we had was huge!!! Lovely, spacious and again very lavishly decorated with swathes of material for curtains!! Our bathroom was also huge with 2 sinks and loads of complimentary toiletries. Overall our stay was amazing and we would recommend anyone to stay in this hotel. Only one area that we feel could maybe be improved is the access "corridor" to the spa facilites. We felt this corrigated tunnel was a bit out of place in such a fabulous hotel - not up to the same standard - we couldn't comment on the actual spa facilities as we didn't use them - mainly because the overwhelming smell of chlorine as you walked through the corrigated corridor gave it the feel of a public swimming pool rather than state of the art spa facilites in keeping with a five star hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you for your very nice review about our Hotel Splendide Royal and for recommending it to other Tripadvisor readers. Our hotel is indeed a historic hotel with antique décor that will celebrate its 125th anniversary in 2012. Throughout the history it has been welcoming and hosted many celebrities.
As we take our guests’ comments at heart, we have taken a note of your remark about the smell of chlorine in the access corridor to the pool to ensure that it won’t be as strong in the future.
I look forward to another opportunity to welcoming you back at the Splendide Royal.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and I would recommend a lake view room on an upper floor - we were on the 6th storey. We were lucky to get the room upgrade as a result of calling in advance to explain the purpose of the stay but I must say the staff really made the whole stay a pleasure. They were always courteous, helpful, smiling and efficient. We have stayed in fancier 5 star hotels in terms of room luxury and facilities but we definitely enjoyed the "beautiful life" in the Italian part of Switzerland - and Lake Como is only 30 minutes away on the train, which we would recommend too!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
I am pleased that you chose the Hotel Splendide Royal for such an important occasion, and that we could contribute to make your stay in Lugano most memorable.
We strive to provide the best service and our priority is to ensure that our guests receive a personalized and warm welcome so as to make them feel at home, which is what you could experience during your stay.
It would be a pleasure for myself and my team to welcome you back again at the Hotel Splendide Royal in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at Hotel Splendide Royal in August as part of a Tauck "Italian Lakes" tour. This place is impeccable-expensive, but worth it. The service in particular is the best we've ever experienced in many hotel stays. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear guest,
It was our pleasure to welcome you to the Hotel Splendide Royal during your recent Italian lakes tour and I am delighted that you were pleased with the high standard of service.
Many thanks for recommending our hotel to other Tripadvisor readers.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Great hotel but just a bit too much money for what you get but its in a great location, just a short 15 minutes walk to the middle of town.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I am pleased to read that you had a wonderful impression about the hotel, which preserved the style of the grand hotels of the past yet offering all modern comforts. On the other hand I was quite surprised that you found the prices high, since these are in line with the ones of other luxury hotels in the area that are not even in the same convenient location of our hotel.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back again at our hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We have just returned from a two-week Tauck tour of Italy and Lugano, Switzerland and the Hotel Splendide was just that. Every single employee we encountered was so kind and gracious. The view from the balcony is incredible - we ended up ordering room service for two nights and sitting outside to enjoy heaven on earth. I have never seen such an outstanding breakfast buffet and the waiters anticipate your every need. The bathrooms are large and luxurious. We received fresh fruit, complimentary water, bottle of wine and box of Swiss chocolates. And you can walk out the front door and down the tree-lined promenade to Lugano. This is one place I hope I get to return to in my lifetime.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for the great remarks about your vacation in our hotel.
We are pleased that you could experience the friendliness of our personnel, who is committed to make our guests’ stay the most comfortable possible.
In addition, we are also glad to know that you could enjoy the food quality of our breakfast buffet as we pay particular attention to the needs of our guests and have therefore included a wide choice of hot and cold delicacies.
We hope to be able to welcome back at the Hotel Splendide Royal.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

The service was excellent at this hotel. I had booked 2 rooms, both of which were non-lake view room. My parents decided they wanted to change to a lake view room and the Front desk did it immediately. They asked if I wanted to change my single room as well and they showed me 2 rooms, so I can pick whichever one I preferred. Service was very attentive overall from train station pick up to breakfast service.

Location was perfect, right in front of the lake.

I highly recommend this hotel. Was very classy.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you for your positive comments. I am pleased to read that you and your parents enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal, in particular the service and the wonderful view from your room.

As we are always striving to offer the best possible personalized service, myself and my team are here to ensure the most comfortable and unique experience for our guests and for this reason we suggested the charming lake view room and suites.

I look forward to welcoming you again here at the Hotel Splendide Royal in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

I stayed only one night at the Splendide Royal---would have been nice to stay longer. I called at the last minute, wanting to take a side trip to Lugano. They accomodated me and were lovely on the phone. When I arrived they upgraded me from a room overlooking the water to a suite overlooking the water with a balcony. I had wine and appetizers on the balcony as I watched the end of the day in Lugano. The city by the way has some spectacular little churches with incredible murals---a beautiful surprise. The staff at the hotel were lovely. I would like to come back and stay longer!

Room Tip: Go for a lake view, old part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Dear guest,
I would to take the opportunity to thank you for staying at the Splendide Royal and for sharing your enthusiastic comments about our friendly personnel. It was our pleasure to be able offer
you an exceptional complimentary room upgrade as it is our priority to ensure our guests the most comfortable stay.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to come back and stay longer at our hotel, and to enjoy the sights of the city and the region.
Best regards,