“Great hotel in a perfect location”

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
GreenLeadersBronze level
Geneva
“Great hotel in a perfect location”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel. It was wonderful. The hotel is very well maintained and is situated just 5-7 mins walk from the main center. We like the idea of staying at a place just a little outside of the main center to avoid the noise. It is located right in front of the lake. We had a room that had a side view of the lake, but it was good enough for us because we had a balcony that allowed us to see a part of the lake. The room was nicely decorated and well maintained. There is a clear difference between well maintained old-style rooms like this as compared to the terrible ones in 5 star hotels in Rome. I am very particular about having a clean and modern bathroom. I am very happy to say that Hotel Splendid had a WONDERFUL and CLEAN bathroom. We only had breakfast in the hotel and it was really good. There was a lot of variety and the staff was great and very attentive. I highly recommend the breakfast. The only issue was that the AC was not working properly and the staff tagged our bag to the wrong person when we left it there for a couple of hours after checkout.

Overall, we had a great stay. The staff was wonderful. We will stay there again if we go back to Lugano. I would recommend it if you are staying for 1 or 2 nights. Anything more than that, I would suggest some place more affordable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim L
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review about your recent stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I am pleased that our room and our bathroom met your expectations and that you could enjoy the hotel’s advantageous position.
As you have observed, we put very much effort in maintaining our 125 years old marble lobby and hallways, frescoes, Murano chandeliers and each original detail. On the other hand we strive to make sure that our facilities are always up to the highest standards available.
We do apologize fro the momentaneous overnight failure of the AC that our technicians were able to fix the same morning.
I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and in particular the service and friendliness of our personnel, who is constantly committed to providing the best service for our guests.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at the Hotel Splendide Royal and I remain

Yours sincerely.
Giuseppe Rossi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The suite with lake view was spacious. Tons of old world charm translated means, the rooms are large, the bathroom is great, but some of the upholstery should be updated. Overall, very nice rooms

The staff is very professional and makes an effort to know your name.

The Hotel restaurant is terrific but pricey.

The fitness center and pool are being renovated, but guests can use the facilities at a sister hotel close by.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I was pleased to read that you had such a nice impression about the hotel, which preserved the style of the grand hotels of the past yet offering all modern comforts.
I was delighted to learn that you have enjoyed dining at our La Veranda restaurant, however I was quite surprised that you found it pricey, since its prices are in line with the ones of most of the other similar restaurants in the region.
We have taken good note of your observation concerning the upholstery and please be sure that we have in place a renovation program which includes the replacement of our tired upholstery.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back again at the Hotel Splendide Royal in the near future and I remain

Yours sincerely,
Zürich
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is a nice hotel with a really wonderful breakfast and nice enough rooms (although the addition we were in is a bit motel-like), but any shortcomings this place has is made up for by the staff, each of whom were so friendly, helpful and outgoing, chatting with any one of them pretty much made our day. The views were wonderful, and while it is true that the hotel is on a busy street, apparently that street is closed to traffic during the weekend summer months. We had a great time and would gladly come back again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonnie G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your recent stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I am delighted to read that you appreciated our breakfast, as we believe that a good breakfast should be made of a variety of fresh ingredients and provides a very important contribution to start your day in a positive way.
I am glad to learn how much you have appreciated the friendliness and attentiveness of our staff –what makes a stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal different is indeed that the attitude of all the employees makes you feel at home, thus remaining extremely discreet and professional.
The unrepeatable design of our main house —a masterpiece of Lombard-Neoclassical architecture dating 1887— may appear to overshadow our new wing’s façade, a rational Modern Architecture building.
It will be a pleasure for myself and my team to welcome you back again at the Hotel Splendide Royal in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Portugal
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it was truly a delightful experience. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel offers an incredible lake view and ability to see the sunrise and/or lake. Room large and very clean. Housekeeping great :) Breakfast very delicious and is served in a great room. I'll definitely recommend this hotel in Lugano and i'll return with my husband.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MartaFernandes
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review about the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I am glad that you have enjoyed the marvellous views over Lake Lugano and the Alps that our unrivalled location offers.
I am also pleased that you have shown appreciation about the space available in your room, guaranteeing a higher level of comfort.
Our guests often write their appreciation towards the attentiveness of the housekeeping staff, who’s been informed about your motivating positive comments.
I look forward to welcoming you and your husband to the Hotel Splendide Royal in the near future and I send you my
Best regards.

Condom, France
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We went to this hotel for a few days to chill out with great expectations. It was a mixed experience. The main building of the hotel looks smashing, the newer addition looks quite drab from the outside. Because it stands next to such a grand building it would have merited a better architect. Still, surprisingly enough, the rooms have a grand feeling (we didn't visit any room in the old part of the hotel). We were rather tired on arrival so we decided to have lunch at the hotel restaurant and what a great experience it was too! Lovely weather so the big windows overlooking the lake were quite an experience. The personnel most Italians, was very charming as they were all over the hotel. We both chose the lunch menu, one with fish and one with meat and the quality was excellent! The buffet breakfast was ok but don't go too late or else most of the food might be gone. Again we set in the main restaurant facing one of the big windows! In the evening they have live music in the bar and in the restaurant, during the day the music is provided by the mechanical piano.

We missed a spa really bad. A hotel of this price really should have its own spa, instead you have to go to another hotel of a far inferior quality although it seems to be a 5 star as well (Hotel Eden). As I was injured I didn't go there but my husband did and he wasn't impressed! One other thing... take into account that the hotel is on the lake front and the road along the lake is horribly noisy all day and part of the night. We had a big balcony with a truly lovely view but the noise prevented us from using it much. The traffic is also a problem if you go for a romantic stroll along the lake. No matter how good this hotel is I don't think that we will be going back to Lugano. It was maybe very much worth a visit 50 years ago, not it is more a mess of traffic and buildings!

Room Tip: If you want lake view you will have to put up with the traffic noise, or else give up the view, slee...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Hotel Splendide Royal in such a detailed way.
I am glad that our room was of your like and that you have appreciated our restaurant La Veranda’s fine dining creations and quality, which is very often rewarded by our guests’ comments.
The architecture of the modern part probably does not reflect the style of the Belle-Epoque façade of our main house, a symbol for Lugano’s waterfront, however I’m happy you enjoyed the room décor and facilities.
With regard to the Spa, please be informed that we are in process of planning a new Spa, in the meantime, during summer months we will reopen our pool and a new fitness center will also be available for our guests to enjoy.
I appreciate your positive overall conclusion of your stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal and I truly hope to welcome you back soon and have the opportunity to show you that Lugano still is an appropriate and delightful destination for relaxing vacations as many travellers believe.
Sincerely yours,
perth
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I went to this hotel with my husband on my honeymoon last May and it was truly a delightful experience. Staff friendly and arranged transport for us.

Breathtaking views, and walking distance to shops and localities.

Room large and very clean. Housekeeping great :)

Breakfast very delicious.

Will definitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind review on your stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I am glad that you have appreciated our complimentary shuttle service available upon request from Lugano Airport or Railway Station.
Honeymoon must be romantic, relaxing and unforgettable -these are some reasons why many of our guests, as well as you, decide to spend their honeymoon at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
It was a true pleasure to have you as our guests and I look forward to welcoming you again.
Sincerely yours,
Somewhere On The Road Between Sydney And Europe
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The name says it all, an imposing grand hotel in the belle époque style, on the lake front a 15 minute stroll from the centre of Lugano, exuding tradition and what passed for luxury in a bygone era. High ceilings, murano chandeliers, opulent decor, heavy drapes and gilt trimmings make this a classic grand luxe establsihment but just dont expect it to extent to the spa or tiny gym. Our room with a spacious balcony overlooking the lake was very warm and comfortable, with large modern bathroom (bath/toilet/shower in separate room from double handbasins/vanity) and dressing room.
Breakfast is served in a spacious dining room, with starched white tableclothes, attentive waiters and an outstanding selection of foods, juices,etc. The Verrandah restaurant is indulgent but ideally suited to a special occasion, serving quite possibly some of the best food in southern Switzerland.
Lack of wifi, shortage of outlets to plug in all the gear which needs recharging, an overly complex TV system which defeated all attempts to plug in an iPad/pod/phone and lack of coffee machine were our only gripes and more than compensated for by the basket of fruit, chocolates and complimentary bottle of sparkling wine which greeted us on arrival.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Intrepidtoo
splendideroyal, Direttore generale at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing such a nice review about your personal experience at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I have enjoyed reading your description of our décor and of the spaciousness of our rooms and I am glad they have met your expectations, as well as the choice and quality of dining at our Restaurant La Veranda.
I am happy to inform you that, following our guests’ suggestions, shortly after your departure we have upgraded our Wi-Fi offer, which you will certainly find useful in occasion of your next stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
Thank you for your comments about the outlets, as we constantly strive to provide our guests with the highest quality service, your remarks will contribute to our improvement. However, had we known about your specific need during your stay, we would have willingly assisted you and installed a multiple socket.
Looking forward to your next stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal I remain