“Traditional hotel beautiful rooms”

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Lugano
GreenLeadersBronze level
Budapest, Hungary
“Traditional hotel beautiful rooms”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Hi,
I stayed for 3 nights with my 3 years old, we had a traditional room , absolutely gorgeous 412, big, spacious with old world furniture and very clean!
The beds are a bit to hard to my taste but manageable .
Personnel it's very very friendly and helpful.
Location it's central we could walk and take the touristic train .
Turn down service it's like a swis clock -:)! Happens at the same time every day, and it really happens every day.
If back to Lugano I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is at an amazing location overlooking the lake and very centrally located. The newly restored rooms and very well appointed. The problem was with air conditioning. The heating was on when temperature outside was 18*c - had to keep the windows open , Mosquitos had a feast on us. Breakfast restaurant staff is worst ever seen. Absolutely non professional with a 3* training. Had not courtesy to remove stuff when 6 tables were having their meal. Be careful they charge for parking which they don't mention when booking/ check in. No concierge or any person at help desk post 10pm for any info. Doesn't deserve to be a part of LHW. Toilets are very comfortable and well appointed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Not only a lovely and comfortable hotel, the staff goes above and beyond. Rafael, the concierge, was instrumental in getting my lost watch back to me in an effortless and timely manner. It's not often you find that kind of service. I would recommend this property to anyone who wanted to have a beautiful view of the lake and a wonderful staff to depend on.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife & I spent 3 nights at this Hotel, beginning our "Tauck , "Italian Lakes: Venice, Florence & Rome Tour". Hotel staff very accommodating, and our nicely sized room which over looked Lake Lagano, also had an outside balcony . Breakfast provided each morning was very good with great service!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harpo208
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had the privilege of staying at this lovely hotel on 4 different occasions in 2011. My husband and I had previously visited Lugano in 2005 and very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Each of my 2011 stays were excellent and lived up to my expectations. The hotel will arrange to pick you up at Lugano airport or the train station and return you and the end of your visit.

First 2011 stay was in April for 5 nights with 2 of my teenage sons as we came to look at Franklin College Switzerland. We had 2 classic lakefront rooms in the Palace which included their extensive breakfast buffet. Rooms were large, luxurious & quiet. Beautiful marble bathrooms. The view was incredible with the lake, snowcapped mountains and city. Service was exceptional, especially Tiziano in theEmerald Bar. We enjoyed 3 evening meals in the bar and I felt very comfortable in the bar as a woman alone after my sons went upstairs.

I returned again for 7 nights with my husband and 18 year old son in August 2011 as our son decided to go to college in Lugano!! As it was extremely hot, I decided to try their executive rooms Lakefront which have a large balcony with chairs. They are located in the modern wing which is a concrete building next to the palace but is connected to the hotel lobby. The rooms are very nice, but not quite as luxurious as the rooms in the palace which I prefer. Service was again excellent and many of the staff welcome me back by name! Fabio's service at breakfast each day was outstanding. He offered to cook my son just about anything he may have wanted. Service in The Emerald Bar was once again outstanding with Tiziano and Head Barman Mario.We very much enjoyed our conversations with both gentlemen. Drinks and the complimentary appetizers were all excellent One night after 11:30pm I mentioned to my husband that I was hungry for a proscuitto sandwich and one appeared 5 minutes later! We had 2 excellent dinners in their formal restaurant, La Veranda. The wine list is extensive and the food is truly 5 star. The Maitre'd Nino is most personable and knowledgeable. Dinner is definitely a formal affair. It is a shame that some guests to not wear proper attire for such a classy venue. We enjoyed their indoor pool and the sun lounges on the front deck. Unfortunately the pool is not open in the "off" season.

Husband and I returned again in November 2011 for a surprise 3 night weekend visit to our son. We booked a classic Lakefront room in the Palace for ourselves and another as a treat away from the dorm for our son. The rooms were very luxurious and both had very large ornate crystal chandeliers. Both had multiple closets. We were again welcomed back by just about everyone on staff by name. Mario, Tiziano, Nino and Fabio again took excellent care of us. Dinner at La Veranda again exceeded our expectations.

We returned again right before Christmas for 3 nights with our other 2 teenage sons and my 81 year old mother-in-law to pick up our son at college and start a 2 week European Christmas trip. We had 3 Classic Lakefront rooms, 1 of which had a balcony the size of the whole room! My Mother in law lived in Europe in the 1980's and has travelled extensively around the world and absolutely loved everything about this hotel and La Veranda restaurant. Again we were welcomed back by staff as if we were family. There was a huge storm in Zurich and it shut down all the airports which was a nightmare. The only way to Lugano was by train so we called to let them know we would be arriving by train somewhere between 10 - midnight. Storm was so bad that our cell phones stopped working. Staff was waiting with 3 vehicles to pick us up when we finally arrived at 11:30pm. Staff definitely went above and beyond all expectations! Nino and staff in La Veranda and Mario and staff in The Emerald Bar are THE BEST!

Unfortunately our son transferred to a University in the US. We are hoping one of our other 2 sons will decide to go to school in Lugano for a semester or even the whole 4 years. No matter what, this is a hotel that my husband andI plan to come back to many more times in the future.

Room Tip: You MUST get a classic lakefront room. Deluxe rooms in the modern wing are cheaper but in my opinio...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RPV5
New York, NY
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Across from the Lake Lugano waterfront, this hotel is the epitome of old-world graciousness. Food is fantastic. The breakfast buffet has many novel delights as well as traditional favorites. Dinner is equally inspired. Rooms are beautifully kept up -- the hotel is more than a century old -- but furnishings could be a little more comfortable. Service, location, and cuisine make this a memorable spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chisinau, Moldova
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

It is a very well located hotel
Nice lobby, ok rooms although quite big the furniture needs an update
The ETRO cosmetics do compensate all the negatives :)
Def worth taking the lake view its beautiful!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple