“Good modern hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good modern hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The staff was very friendly. The room was modern. Bath was also very good (beside of the missing toilet brush) with rain shower system. The bed was perfect. The room was very silent and I could not hear noise from outside. Free Wifi is also available in the hotel.

I would like to mention the restaurant which was really commendable for having dinner.
I just had an express breakfast which also ok.

The value for money compared with some other hotels in Lugano is very good. I can recommend the hotel and will come back next month for more than just one night.
After this stay I might write a more detailed review.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Nuschi_on_tour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights while attending a conference for work. It was a little further away from the venue than some other hotels, but I saw that it would be a nice walk along the lake, so I booked it (and it really is a nice walk along the lake). It costs about 30 francs from the airport to the hotel.

Reception staff were friendly but other than that, the rest of the staff seem a bit indifferent. I had an executive room so had fast internet which was appreciated, although they only gave me a code for 72 hours for a 4 night stay, so it ran out by the last evening and I couldn't be bothered to go back down to reception to get a new code. Slippers and a bathrobe are always a plus. The room was nice and clean, but a bit on the hot side. You can see straight through to the bathroom from the bedroom which was kind of strange. Bed was comfortable but I tend to not like big, fluffy pillows and they have a lot of those. No view of the lake since the hotel is set a few minutes away from it. There is no complimentary water in the room, but I always just drink tap water when I can, so I am fine with that. The area in general is fairly quiet other than traffic noise so it's quiet enough to sleep at night.

Although some people think the hotel is overpriced, I think it's pretty standard for Switzerland. I paid about 200 francs a night for the room which I think is pretty normal. Breakfast, however, was overpriced and not included in the room, so I skipped it, even if it was being paid for by my work.

I took room service one night. It was ok but since I had paid for my room on arrival, I had to go back down to the bar to pay for room service, defeating the purpose of room service. So remember to keep a pre-authorization at reception if you are going to buy add-on services or else you will have to pay up in cash each time.

In general, it's ok for a novotel. I'm rating this as 3 out of 5 dots since, like the staff, I'm feeling a bit indifferent about them. Having said that, I'd be fine with staying here again and I could recommend this as a place to stay in Lugano.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GloJul
Christian S, Manager at Novotel Lugano Paradiso, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear GLOJUL guest,
we thank you for taking time to post this comment. We are realy sorry that some of our services did not meet your expectations, neverless we are wery happy to read that you will come back and you recomand our Hotel. Please apologies for the desagries with the WLAN Code and that you did not get credit on the room service we shared it with the Team in order to get better solutions for the future. Refering to the Glas in the badroom you have a buttom in the bathroom where you can obscure the glas to get more intimity. Two bottles of mineral water in all our rooms are free of charge and we have for sure rooms whis smaller beds 90*200 so for your next stay with us we will be please to offer it to you just let us know it by the resevation.
We look to welcoming you again at your Novotel Lugano-Paradiso
Sunny regards from Lugano
Christian Schreiner
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Service is very good and staff is very welcoming. The only thing I didnt like was the lack of privacy in the bathroom. Other than that, very clean and comfy beds. Wifi is also very good. I was working from my room most of the day and didnt have any issues. Very close to San Salvatore Funiculare and about 20 minute walk to the city center.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Huguettefran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My past experience with Novotel was not a good one. I stayed last October 2013 at the Novotel in Monaco and I was not very happy with the hotel. Since Lugano was a spur of the moment trip for us, we had a difficult time finding a reasonably priced hotel until we chanced upon Novotel Lugano Paradiso. I personally did not want to stay in any Novotel but we were left with no other choice. To our surprise, it turned out to be a pleasant experience. The room given to us was new, clean, spacious and well designed. Our bed was a lot better from the one I slept in Monaco. Pillows were fluffy and sheets were all new. I loved everything about it. The view wasn't that spectacular and location was a bit far from the center but it was quiet and easy to get to from the train station. Wifi was free and available and strong at all times. Lastly, the price per night was just right. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and relatives.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Taguirre131
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Uneventful stay, really friendly staff. The hotel is a little bit on the overprice side but the location is really good.
Multimedia in the room is really bad, they can improve this in so many ways. They have a multimedia port with Hdmi, USB and audio video outlets had some problems with it and when I call maintenance they explained to me that this feature in the rooms does not work at all. So if you are planning to bring your gadgets be aware.

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Gapurcell
CRoland, Deputy Manager at Novotel Lugano Paradiso, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest "Gapurcell",
thank you very much for your review and your comment about your stay in our Novotel Lugano. I'm happy that our staff has provided you a nice stay and that our position in Lugano-Paradiso was suitable to you.
We are sorry that your experience with our Multimedia plug did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
Short after your comment we checked all of the plugs and they work perfect. So we hope to welcome you another time in our Novotel Lugano.
Best regards from Lugano-Paradiso
Christian Roland
Deputy Manager
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Spent a week here on business. Very modern, clean hotel very close to Lake Lugano. Not a lot of nice restaurants close by but 15-20 minute walk to central shopping district. I was here in January so the weather was not the best but still very beautiful. Showers may be hard to get in and out for older guests as the tubs are elevated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT over the pool. Even though I was here during the winter when no one was swimming...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ThorUSA
valbonne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Very professional new hotel. The restaurant was almost empty and a bit cold but dinner was very good. A nice experience a nice place for business trip. Breakfast price is expensive. 20.00chf so I tried the continental breakfast at the bar. Very disappointed. Looks like they want you to be as uncomfortable as possible. one croissant, one canned orange juice and a coffee. We had to add extras (charged) to get an acceptable breakfast. For the one at Novotel headquarter who never traveled except on Autogril or Total restaurants a continental breakfast is bread butter jams and cofffeeS with an S or theas. Not a highway gas station breakfast. Bedrooms are very nice, large and with a tricky St Gobain glass window between bathroom and bedroom.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business