“Modern and Stylish”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Gabbani
Ranked #1 of 21 Lugano B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This little Hotel (more a Bed & Breakfast) is very modern and centrally located. The rooms are airconditioned. Also, the rooms all have different styles and features (unlike most of the other Lugano Hotels which are very old fashioned). The breakfast is served in the Café below.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The best part of this hotel was the location. It is located In the nice, old part of town and a funicular ride away from the train station. Also, the bathrooms were very nice in the rooms. However, the hotel seems like an afterthought of the restaurant and café. Very little service. And, the breakfast had minimal selections. You felt awkward eating in the restaurant with the other clients.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just returned from a two-night stay in Hotel Gabbani and can highly recommend it, but keep in mind that this is not your usual Lugano establishment and check your expectations for a full-service experience. Not that the service is compromised in any way -- Tania and her crew are warm, personable and very professional -- but Hotel Gabbani is perhaps closer to a serviced apartment (or better put, the world's chicest dormitory) than a hotel or even B&B.

Based around the wonderful Gabbani delis downstairs and across the way, the hotel features a small number of rooms named after food stuffs ("mela," "miele," "limone," etc.). Sounds corny but it's not! Our room was minimal, sleek and clean with a very comfortable bed, cool lighting, beautiful wood floors and a fantastic shower. As others have commented, the architecture is itself distinctly modern. All very far from the overstuffed, chintzy look of so many hotels around the lakes in Ticino and Lomardia (and that's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned!) but very close to the lake itself (a five minute walk, tops). Plus, the city center is at your doorstep with Lugano's various festival attractions.

Rooms at the Gabbani are indeed minimally appointed, verging on monastic. They're not huge and there are little bells and whistles. All the same, the hotel is very good value for Lugano: there's free wi-fi, a good breakfast and drinks in the in-room fridge. Reception takes off in the evening, though, so if you need any assistance or help with your stay, you might want to look elsewhere. If I ever return to Lugano, however, I'd be more than happy to stay here again,

Tip: we found the food in Lugano wildly expensive but hardly spectacular. We enjoyed a very good dinner at the Gabanni, though.

Room Tip: We stayed in Limone, which we loved: has a most peculiar ramp way leading to the door, affording ext...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

A funky hotel (a little difficult to find - its above a delightful delicatessen of the same name), with nice service with small but functional rooms. The hotel itself is interestingly designed, with themed rooms. Bathroom was large and excellent. Breakfast and service typically efficient.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed at Gabbani for 2 nights and the experience was excellent. The hotel has a chic design, its very clean. I have luckily got an upgrade in my room! The location is very convenient and it is just a few foot steps to the tram station which connects to the rail station. There is free wifi connection in the room. Public parking (paid) is also very close and convenient. Staff were friendly and helpful. Will stay here again if I go to Lugano again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I arrived in the late afternoon on a Sunday after taking the Wilhelm Tell Express tour from Luzern to Lugano. Unfortunately, many things are closed on Sundays, something I did not foresee when booking my trip. As a result, it was a bit tricky trying to find a way into the hotel. I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to find a way into the hotel (all of the lights were turned off in each of the Gabbani stores), so a bit of panic set in. Then I noticed there was an intercom/door bell at the entrance to the hotel, so I rang it and sure enough it opened. I had to lug my heavy suitcase up the stairs to the lobby, but honestly, this wasn’t too bad (there’s an elevator you can use in the adjacent store when it is open).

I had expected to arrive earlier based on the times given on the Wilhelm Tell tour, but I was a few hours late. Thankfully the receptionist (Lisa, I believe), stayed behind and waited for me to arrive - she was very nice and very accommodating (as were the other members of the staff throughout my stay). I stayed in the room named “Pane” (or “Bread” in English) - very nice and super clean! Cool touch-sensitive light switches too :) It was actually an upgrade (I had originally booked a single room for 3 nights and a deluxe room for the 4th night since I was unable to get a single room for 4 nights; so they upgraded me to a deluxe room at the same rate as a single!) The room overlooked the interior of the café below, and natural light came in from the skylight/atrium above. The place was very well decorated and very clean.

In the mornings, the included breakfast was great! Croissants, fresh breads, yogurts, fruits, pastries, cappucino/americano/etc...

I really have nothing bad to say about this place. It was probably the best place I stayed at during my vacation to Switzerland! I stayed for 4 nights, and on my final night (a Wednesday) there was a gathering in the café/wine-bar below where people came to socialize and sample the food and wine. I later found out that this is a regular Wednesday social gathering - Cool! I was in my room for most of it since I had to leave early the next morning, but I liked the buzz of the crowd below. It only lasted until about 10pm, so it didn’t interfere with sleep. It is very quiet in this hotel, I should add.

There are some good restaurants around Lugano, but if you are in a rush, Gabbani has a Salumeria next door where you can get some good takeaway. Highly recommended! The hotel is central to everything in Lugano and within a 5 minute walk to the waterfront.

Also, if you need to go up to the train station, there is a funicular just outside the hotel entrance that takes you right up to the station (and vice versa). I did not know that when I arrived and took a taxi instead. If you walk from the train station with all of your bags, be prepared to walk down some steep inclines...I wouldn’t recommend arriving this way, especially if you have more than one bag or if any of your bags are heavy...

I think the only negative thing was that in order to get full signal strength on the wifi, I had to go as close to the interior window as possible. The further I moved away from the window, the wifi lost signal strength. But this really wasn’t a major problem. It was most likely due to the fact that I was on the 3rd floor while the wifi router was probably on the 1st. Again, not a huge issue. I was able to access the wifi at full strength over breakfast.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience! I would definitely book another stay here if I am ever in Lugano again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank citydwlr
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Very modern and trendy decor that is ultra comfortable... the bed was large for Switzerland and the bathroom sumptuous. Rooms have names (not numbers) and a color scheme to match the theme. Staff was very nice - location could not be better. Good breakfast - would definately stay again...

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room (window goes to an inner court yard) for absolute quiet, go for an outside ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple