“Pretty disappointed”

Continental Parkhotel
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is really close to the train station which was good for us but although the rooms were very clean the beds were hard as rock and the pillows were so thin. We barely slept at all. We had a room in an adjoining building as the reception and it was poring rain but there was no offer of help from a porter or the like to help us with our luggage. We had dinner there and it was very bland and although the restaurant was almost empty it was almost impossible to get any of the staff's attention; they made themselves very scarce. The only really good part was breakfast but after a terrible nights sleep it wasn't much compensation. We were also given a room on a non smoking floor but the whole corridor wreaked of cigarette smoke which is a bit unacceptable

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed at the Continental Park in May, when it rained constantly - very unusual for Lugano at that time of year, but they knew I was coming. Got the Jetbus from Milan which takes about an hour to Lugano station. The hotel is just down the road from the bus stop - don't amble aimlessly across the level crossing though or you're liable to have a car up the behind. On arrival I was upgraded to a double for a single use which was on the first floor. It was fine for me but would have been a bit small for two people. There was access to a massive shared terrace outside with views of the lake and mountains. The bathroom was modern and clean with a double walk-in shower - apparantly they don't have rooms with baths in the hotel though on their TV ad it clearly shows a room that does. When my partner arrived a few days later we moved to a larger room (though the bathroom was smaller) on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the lake. It was only on the last day I noticed from the balcony some deer in the area between the hotel and the railway line below but didn't see any vension on the menu.
The breakfast is very good for a three star - tasty bread, cheeses, cereals, fresh fruit salad, cakes and yogurt - we particularly liked the creamy scrambled eggs. On Sunday there was even a bottle of bubbly if you fancied a Bucks Fizz for breakie. Talking of bubbly, for less than 10 CHF you could get a small bottle of prosecco in the bar which is good value by Swiss standards. The bar itself is comfortable and the bar staff pleasant, though had the weather been halfway decent we would have had our drinks outdoors in the beautiful gardens. We didn't know until the penultimate day that the bar had a Happy Hour - 5-6. That's the only quibble I'd have with the hotel, there was no info in the room. I'd have liked to have known a bit more of the history of the hotel, but then I'm weird that way.
You can walk into town within 15 minutes, but I'd recommend getting the funicular on your return - unless you like uphill slogs. It's only 1.10 or 1 euro for a single journey that takes a few minutes.
All in all a good hotel with amazing views, a lovely pool and gardens.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I read all of the positive reviews for the hotel and we were really looking forward to our stay. We had booked for six nights but we lasted only 2 -- we ended up canceling the rest of the stay and got a hotel in Escona (near Lugano). I had asked specifically for a quiet room when I booked but we were given a room in the "Annex" - a separate building right next to the railroad tracks. While the room was very, very small, we could have lived with that. However, we could not take the noise -- the room was about 50 feet away from 2 main rail lines where trains go by all night every 10 to 30 minutes. Unless you are extremely hard of hearing, you will not be able to sleep.

Room Tip: If you are not given a room in the main building, do not check in -- beware of the "annex"...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tallestguy
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is wonderful location for a short business trip to Ticino. This hotel is located right next to the train station and it is especially convenient if you have to train the next morning. The rest of the city and the lake is located below, so you have wonderful views over Lugano.

Staff was very welcoming, so I felt great right after I got out of the train. Although, I needed only a single room, I got an upgrade to double room for free. Small thing but pleasant indeed. Breakfast was ok, no surprises, but no defaults either.

Overall, great location for a business trip. I will come back there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The free parking and beautiful outdoor pool in a garden sold us on the Continental Parkhotel! Wonderful views of the lake from the breakfast room and restaurant! Excellent, reasonably priced food. Clean, comfortable rooms in the reasonably priced annex with elevator--only a short walk to the main building. Price levels at this compound range from hostel to luxury. What a friendly staff, comfortable in at least 3 languages. We loved walking by the lake, and driving to viewpoints high above the city! We came for the opera, and enjoyed every minute!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The Continental is located next to the train station in Lugano and therefore perfect for people using the public transport.

The rooms are nice and some of them even with view over the lake. The rooms have big Televisions with full HD.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2013

In April 2013 I spent three nights at the Continental hotel with two girlfriends. Our stays were wonderful and we did appreciate every single minute of it. We had all our dinners at the hotel and enjoyed all of them. Our most sincere thanks to the reception team and the Portuguese waitress from Coimbra. We recommend this hotel warmly, without any restriction. I will certainly come back with my husband and family. Ariane

Room Tip: Rooms with view on the lake are not quiet. If you want a quiet room, forget the view on the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends