“Like the Lake”

Hotel Victoria au Lac
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Lugano
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I really enjoyed staying here. Tony at the desk was very helpful and friendly. I loved looking out the tall windows at the lake (and the fountain). I liked walking along the lake to get to the town.
I found no problem with the breakfast - they offered everything that every other hotel offers. Tony recommended a fantastic experience for dinner one night, sending us to the no-cars village of Gandria to find Ristorante Antico. I liked having a lake-boat stop right in front of the hotel. The interior IS decorated strangely, but I was there for the lake, not the pictures on the walls or the color of the carpets. I had requested a lakeview room and got it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Hotel is located little bit too far from city centre. If you don’t care about long walk distances then this place is for you. From the hotel to the town is amazing walk mall by lake side. Beautiful walk with stunning view to the mountains and lake. Really worth it!!!
Room was clean large with spacious bathroom. When I have entered my room I was very pleased. It was with old fashionable taste like in the Buckingham Palace. A view from my balcony, window was untold sceneries. Every deep I have been enjoying view with mountains and lake.
The most disgusting breakfast I have ever had in my life of course if you can call it breakfast.

Not sure if I would stay here again. Maybe I will say No!

Guest

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Beware of the computer map giving the location. It is incorrect. When coming into Lugano when you get to the lake front at the light you vere right towards Paradise you will see the sign and the Hotel within say 200 meters. Traffic was very bad. The Hotel has a good location on the lake. There is no place to pull up in front, ie. say to try and check in. The front desk was apethetic and not useful. I was supposed to get a room with a lake view. This did not happen. I would be very specific with them. Other than that the room was fine and the interior was neat. You feel like your in the 19th century. Breakfast was all you could eat. All in all, very average.

Room Tip: Be very careful with them and confirm if you want a lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Clearly the rooms do not look like on the webpage of the hotel. Anyway they are OK and we felt ok in the hotel. The room was outdated but clean. Breakfast was ok with a nice view on the lake. Free WIFI throughout the hotel is available.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2012

If you are looking for a very short stay and searching for a cheaper hotel at a lake shore, this could still be a good choice, but I wouldn't recommend to stay to my friends or family.
While visiting the hotel web sites, I was impressed by the pictures of the rooms and hotel interiors. While staying at the hotel, I was impressed by the taste of the owners - you can find there any style you can imagine - you wonder how anybody could collect such a mix of furniture, paintings and sculptures :)
Our room was pretty small and the wallpaper was peeling off, the wardrobe was really large and I had to step on the bed to be able to hang up my clothes there. Bathroom was clean and very solid, anyway you need to take your own shampoos and cosmetics, I wouldn't use the hotel soap.
Breakfast is ok and very simple, you can have some bread, croissants, yoghurt, milk and muesli with fruits (but:bad coffee! and unfriendly personnel).
So in total, if you need to stay night, it's an option, otherwise go somewhere else and pay better slightly more, but get appropriate and good service.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Found purely by accident whilst trying to find somewhere to eat on the Riva Paradiso,brightly lit Boutique hotel with lively entertainment when everything around is closed.I was directed to their second floor restaurant called La Terazza delle Stelle.............Cosy a bit dated decor,and a menu mostly of pizza and fast food but a few exceptions.A very young waiter with 1960s sideburns introduced himself as Mirko and I was alone except for one other diner tucking away into what appeared a very nice scallopine of veal but I could not find it on the menu...Mirko said the kitchen would prepare anything within reason so I agreed to have the same and perhaps try a carafe of local wine,I chose red and he brought out a 1 litre carafe,this together with the oil fired heater had me sipping away till the meal arrived piping hot and freshly pounded as I had heard the preparation as the kitchen was close by.
Delicious with crisp veggies in a butter sauce and mini roasted potatoes,he talked me into wild berries and fresh cream as a dessert and coffee,actually two double expressos as the wine had taken its toll.A fun evening breaking the deserted streets,helpful waiter good service full of smiles and happy with a generous tip he said little else was ever open but they stay open till the wee hours as customers come from Italy for the nightclub and they get busy toward midnight.Very reasonable prices,worth a visit I would certainly go back..............I checked out some of the rooms and would stay there on a future visit as price and facilities as offered where very good value,

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank talentpicker
Reviewed 27 February 2012

At the low end of the Lugano lakeshore hotel price range. For a great price we had a very large and clean bed & bathroom, direct view on the lake and on-site parking. Yes it's a bit old and some of the colouring is odd, but it's definently great value.

Room Tip: Room 51 was good.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple