“(Second) Best Western”
Review of Hotel Du Rhone

Hotel Du Rhone
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sion
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The "Best Western" sign that was broken & lying in the garage entrance to the lift should have given a clue of what to expect along with the abandonned shopping trolley! This really is a tired & seedy hotel but the worst thing was the "Non iron, easy wash" crepe type bed linen which stuck to you as you tried to sleep. My worst night's sleep in a long while!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TwoPuttBedfordshire
Thomas M, Manager at Hotel Du Rhone, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear TwoPuttBedfordshire,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel during your stay in Sion. I am very sorry that you were not enjoying your stay with us! Please be ensured that we do our utmost possible to work on our service.

Let me answer to your comments:

-The Best Western sign was not broken but removed as the hotel is not Best Western anymore. It was stored on the 3rd underground parking floor until rid off. As advised in the parking this floor is entirely private and not to be used by hotel customers.

- The parking is shared with the commercial center in the same building and the trolley was certainly left by a supermarket customer. It was removed as soon as seen.

- We have various bed linen types in our hotel and the one you had in your room is appreciated by our customers as we never had complain before. Of course we could have changed it upon request.

Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations! I can ensure you we take your criticisms seriously.

I wish you all the best and send you my Regards from Sion.
Thomas Minder, Hotel Manager, Hôtel du Rhône Sion

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Spent 5 nights here for a business meeting. Does the trick. Nothing outstanding, but nothing to complain about. It was comfortable, warm and good location. Good breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank LiveWorkTravel
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed here for one night. It was easy to reach (from motorway exit Sion East) and centrally located in the middle of town. Friendly staff and good size rooms. However, the decor is a bit old-fashioned and you have to shower in the bath behind a curtain. Moreover, we found the mattresses were sagging. The room lacked air-conditioning and while it wasn't a hot day, our room was too hot to sleep in. So we had to sleep with the window fully opened and we had to remove the duvets. Breakfast was good, with a lot of fresh fruit, but we would definitely not recommend the restaurant as we found it pricey and mediocre and lacking atmosphere. All in all, we recommend that Michelin should reconsider the BIB-hotel status.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerdientje
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I arrived in Switzerland without my luggage: took 9 days to arrive. The helpfullness of that hotel's staff made a big difference: they indicated to me where to go to purchase stuff at prices locals pay. Parking is very good, indoors. A shopping center is in the same block, which is practical. I had view on the Alps. Buffet breakfast was good. The main attractions of Sion are very easily visited by food, from that location. Easy to find when coming in from the highway. Room of reasonnable size, although bathroom a bit small. Overall, with all things considered, a great deal for the price. I would not hesitate to stay there again. A travel guide says that's no frills but best place to stay in Sion, and that is also my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank 88puffin
Reviewed 12 February 2008

I was on a skiing trip and needed accommodation for the evening in Sion. I picked the Best Western and was pleasantly suprised. It is located near the centre of the town and was an easy walk from the train station.

The lobby is on the first floor of the building necessitating the use of the lift or if fit the stairs.

The room was clean, and the bed good. The carpet was not threadbare but the design would have not looked out of place in the 1950's.

Overall a good hotel for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Richbayl
Reviewed 19 January 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night during the Christmas holidays and found it was quite comfortable, and central. Our room had a view of the twin hills, was of a good size and the bathroom was very clean. Breakfast was the standard continental buffet, but I strongly recommend the croissants - they were fresh, hot from the oven.

The hotel has underground parking, but there is a fee of 10CHF per 24 hours.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank IndependenTraveller
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 October 2004

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in February 2004 for 3 nights. We went skiing in the region, and it was excellent!! If you want luxury, the hotel is not for you. But for us, it was just perfect. The online price was great to begin with. The hotel is in a small town, so we didn't feel like we were crowded by other turists. The restaurant downstairs was wonderful. The people were very nice too. Easy access to ski resorts by a bus or a train. Only one thing that bothered us tiny bit was that even though we were in a non-smoking room, it smelt like smoke from the ventration systems. (But then again, we are from California.) We would definitely stay there again!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sion
ibis Sion Est
#1 of 3 in Veysonnaz
Hotel Chalet Royal
Hotel Chalet Royal
#2 of 3 in Veysonnaz

Been to Hotel Du Rhone? Share your experiences!