“Not booked? Don't even turn your face here!”

Bergrestaurant Blatten
Ranked #12 of 197 Restaurants in Zermatt
Price range: US$12 - US$55
Cuisines: Swiss, European, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, View, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: As an alpine restaurant, Blatten exists since the beginnings of tourism in Zermatt and it has kept its traditional appearance. Initially, around 1850, it was a little teahouse run by the family. Since the early 1950s, the mother Ludowika has been the hostess of the place for decades. The Taugwalder family has a tradition of both gastronomy and mountain climbing. Indeed, Leander himself met his wife Simone on the top of the Matherhorn. Since more than 30 years, we, Leander and Simone, run this place with passion. The young generation, our daughter Sarah with her husband Hans, assist us actively. - Restaurant on two levels - First floor seats up to 43, second floor 47 - Terrace with 140 seats - Winter season from December to April - Summer season from June to October - Warm kitchen every day from 11:30am to 5pm - House owned organic herb garden - On the path: Ricola herb garden and Gornergorge (during summer season) - During winter season every Wednesday Fondue evenings. Reservations necessary.
Paris
“Not booked? Don't even turn your face here!”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I should say I did not try the food, despite I really wanted, so my comment is only about service and reception.
The problem with high TA rating is that too many people want to visit the place, and the stuff struggles to cope with crowds, so welcoming guests becomes of no importance. I came about 2 p.m., without reservation, and tried to understand is there a table available. Waiters were coming and going, and ignoring me and other clients completely. After about 15 min waiting a group of young ladies before me managed to catch a manager (owner?) and to inquire about a table available. After another 10 min they were seated and kindly invited me to share a table. After another 10 min we asked for a menu, as the waiters continued to ignore us. And when finally the waiter arrived with a menus, he only gave it to my kind neighbors and pointedly ignored me again:). On this point I decided to spend my money elsewhere. Still don't understand why it was so difficult just to say from the beginning that the house is full and not to waste my time?
So, conclusion: if you are dying to try the food in this particular restaurant, book! and don't even show up if you have not. There are plenty of other excellent options in Zermatt; I finally got my late lunch at Schwarzsee and it was the best meal on the slopes!

Visited February 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding mountain food”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I know Zermatt's wonderful restaurants extremely well and like to keep updating over the years. This year I think that Blatten really is leading the pack. This mountain restaurant is fantastic for both snowy and sunny days as it has a good terrace and a wonderful interior. Leander the owner is a great character providing snappy banter. The food is delicious, mountain fare of the region cooked to a high level. Specialities include lamb in puff pastry, tagliatelle with king prawns, mushroom soup with a pastry lid, veal, steak. The wild boar stew with polenta is sublime. A great setting on the last run home too if you want to have a naught late pud at the end of the day.

• Visited February 2014
“Favourite place in Zermatt!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

A fantastic friendly restaurant on the piste skiing down from Furi to Zermatt. At the end of the day a great place to stop for a drink and soak in the enjoyment of a good day's skiing. We stopped there today for lunch - heavy snow and poor visibility meant we chose a Blatten lunch over continued skiing - and we were not disappointed! Awesome ravioli, nice glass of wine, friendly and efficient service! On a previous trip we went to Blatten for a fondue evening - great fun walking up the piste from Zermatt! Sadly this week they were fully booked so we couldn't repeat the experience - but we've still enjoyed today's lunch and a couple of late afternoon drink stops. A fab place - don't miss it!

• Visited February 2014
Brussels, Belgium
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Easy to miss as you ski down from Furi, but well worth a visit. Nice sun terrace and cosy atmosphere inside. Staff very welcoming, probably the nicest we met on the mountain. Bit of a squeeze getting upstairs but best place to be. Mushroom soup with a pastry crust is amazing, something you never see!! The lamb in pastry is another fav but I had the lamb salad, which is lovely, doesn't sound very different, but with the dressing and the succulent rare lamb, tastes great. The daughter is taking over from her parents, and making a good job of it,so good luck to her for the future of this cosy little place!!

• Visited December 2013
“A real surprise”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

On our first day in Zermatt we went for a bit of a wander and an explore up into what we thought were the wilds and the foothills- how glad was i when we turned a corner after about an hour or so of walking and see Blatten- a restaurant on the hillside- It was full of folk who all seemed to have been on the mountain earlier- either walking or climbing. A brilliant place for lunch, the best Apple Strudle and cinnamon ice cream ever :)

Visited October 2013