“Clean and cosy but spartan and secluded”
Review of Chalet Kamanga

Chalet Kamanga
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zermatt
Chalet Kamanga
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The rooms at Kamanga are small and spartan, but provide just enough comfort for a week's skiing holiday when you are going to be out of the chalet for 8 hours a day and using the room mainly just for sleeping. If you wanted to spend more time indoors, the lack of facilities could be frustrating.

It's definitely worth paying the small supplement for a larger room on the south side with a couch, balcony, and a better view.

Our bathroom and shower were fine, the lounge downstairs was comfy and airy even if there was nothing to do in there, and the ski and boot storage facilities were basic but adequate.

If Dee is still doing the cooking, the food provided will be quite good.

Although there is nothing 5-star about the Kamanga, it's a decent standard of basic accommodation with no shocking shortcomings. The main drawback is still its location uphill from the gondola station, which provides a testing aerobic workout for any athlete carrying skis, poles and boots back to base every evening.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the south side balconies: rooms 3, 5, 7, 8 or 10
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I stayed at chalet kamanga from the 30th jan to 6th feb and I loved every minute!! I went in a group of 20 so we filled the chalet. I haven't got one bad word to say about this chalet, the food cooked by steph was amazin! The breakfast in the mornin was really good and the hot selection was always really good! The rooms were spacious and i was lucky enough to have one with a brilliant view of the mattorhorne! The living room was also spacious with very comfy sofas.

Yes the hotel was situated at the top of a hill but there are free buses that take u to the gondalas so we got the bus every morning, I don't know why people who have written reviews moaned about the hill when the buses were every 5-10 mins!!!

The slopes were also amazin and I never had to queue for the lifts, there is so much you can do ski wise and most slopes are lovely and wide for people who Havent skied long.

Zermatt is very expensive but it was worth every penny!!!! The nightlife was brilliant, we were out nearly every night and loved it :)

For the après ski I would definitley reccomend the hennu stall bar which is on the run down to the bottom, the music was good and they have a live band on Saturdays and Wednesdays. It can take a while to get served inside but it's
worth it!

The finish this off all I can say is I would definitley stay there again, I loved every minute!!!

Thank you to STEPH, SAM AND CLAIRE :)

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Have just returned from Zermatt haviing stayed at Chalet Kamanga. Wanted to write this review as I didn't feel some of the reviews I have read on this site about Kamanga reflected my own very recent experiences.
It is true that the Chalet is situated on a steep hill and that the paths down to the nearest lift can be very icy at times. We hired our skis from the rental shop next to the gondola which is about 6 minutes walk from the chalet (in normal walking boots) and you can leave your skis/boots/board there for free (as long as you have hired from them if you haven't there is a charge I believe ). You also get heated boot storage so you have warm boots to start with. The standard of service from the shop was very high indeed and the skis I hired were virtually brand new and as I knew the type of ski I wanted the shop were keen to supply me with what I wanted and did not just fob me off with anything that came to hand.
The chalet itself is basic its true but was meticulously clean. The staff were all extreemly good/curteous and the food (cooked by "Steff the Chef" ) was excellent. There is I'm sure bettter quality accomadation in Zermatt but bearing in mind the price we paid with Total ski I really have no cause for complaint. Zermatt is a very expensive resort at the end of the day and there is no getting away from this.
I have been skiing for many years and have skied in most European countries and in the USA. This was my first visit to Zermatt and I would reccomend it to anyone with the exception of beginners as most of the runs are on the difficult end of the scale.( I am planning to go back there again soon.)The extent of the skiing is massive and the runs themselves are generally very long compared many other resorts. The run from Plateau Rosa to Valtourneche ( that's on the Cervinia side ) is I am told one of the longest lift served runs in the world interupted by only one short drag lift. I believe it is roughly 14km long.
The Chalet is well located for the quick gondola up to Trockener Steg. The other routes from the centre of Zermatt on the Sunnegga train or the cog railway up to Gornergrat are slower and a bit more queue prone at times it seemed to me.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank eeyore4511
Reviewed 29 April 2010

My wife, myself and 17 year old son stayed at Kamanga in April 2010 with an extended party of friends. Whilst the room accomodation is fairly basic it is perfectly acceptable, some of the rooms are facing the Matterhorn which is a great view. We had one of these. The lounge area is rather too small for the number of guests staying there (about 22) but it does make for a cosy atmosphere when most guests get together at 7.00pm for a pre dinner aperitif courtesy of the chalet staff. What made Kamanga really good for us (apart from Zermatt being a delightful town) was the absolutely brilliant service from the Ski Total chalet staff Ben, Laura, Hannah and local rep Peter. They could'nt do enough to make the stay enjoyable, nothing was too much trouble. We found the food excellent, Ben is a great chef. Peter was also an absolute star giving us frequent updates on how they were going to get us home at the end of the holiday (Volcanic Ash - No Flights). He also gave us a guided ski tour for a day - brilliant! We also have to commend Ski Total on the prompt steps they took to arrange coach travel back from Zermatt to UK departure points - great organisational skills. Zermatt is also a great ski area and we found good snow ski conditions even this late in the season if you go high enough.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank oasthouse
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Zermatt itself is approx 3 hour coach journey from Geneva Airport and a 10-15 minute train ride where we were picked up by electric-run taxis and taken to our Chalet.

Chalet Kamanga is situation on on the outskirts of the beautiful, picturesque village of Zermatt - approx 10-15 min walk down a steep hill. The closest lift station is the bottom of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise which is at the bottom of another very steep hill, not advisable in ski boots. Chalet Kamanga has been described in many brochures as "upgraded to maximise the use of its interior layout. The separate lounge and dining room both have fabulous views of the Matterhorn. The location is wonderful, with incredible views and easy access to and from Zermatt's fantastic skiing and boarding."

Chalet Kamanga is basic, but arguably you get what you pay for. It is a series of apartments with kitchens blocked off so as to convert into chalet. Some of the bedrooms are spacious, others are not. Chalet Kamanga provides compact communal accommodation; the chalet staff for Kamanga and other chalets live on the top floor where the dining room is. As chalet guests we had limited access to the dining room (breakfast and evening meals only) so could not really appreciate the fine views from there. We were always encouraged to move to the small lounge (seats less than 14-16 comfortably) which is by room 1 - only separated by a sliding door.

Ski Total claim " to pride ourselves on giving you a great breakfast to start your day, with a choice of cereals, fresh fruit and juices, yoghurts, plentiful English tea and good filter coffee, local bread ..., cold meats, cheeses and preserves, and boiled eggs.... And to cap it all, we also cook a hot dish of the day for you six days per week, such as sausage and bacon or pancakes with fresh fruit, individually served".

We never received a selection of cold meats or cheeses - it was always the same. The hot dish of the day was nearly always egg related - scrambled, fried, omelette, eggy bread. We did have some movement aways from egg and that was beans on toast and on the very last day a bacon sandwich (on stale bread). Wines were not good, particularly the white which was often stored using tissues for a cork on the dining room balcony!

I wasn't overly impressed with this chalet but recognise I need to pay for luxury if I expect it. However, I was more disappointed with the service provided. Whilst the chalet staff were very friendly and amenable, there were a number of things that I do not believe provides the basis of a quality Ski Total service. I didn't like other staff whom I was not introduced to (not the chalet staff) walking in and out of our chalet; I didn't like that I could not secure my room (no keys provided even when requested and with multiple groups there); I didn't like one member of the chalet staff helping herself to the guest's afternoon cake (when some guests had not had some) or used our bathroom facilities (when they didn't think guests were in their rooms). I didn't like that the door for room 6 did not open or close properly and when brought up with staff, it was clear it had been an ongoing problem and we would have to wait until the maintenance man came back to the resort no day provided - this turned out to be the last day of our holiday. I didn't like the lack of window blinds for shared bathroom (rooms 4&5 - ground floor) so that passersbys were able to see guests showering - a towel had to be used as a blind for the week long holiday.

In essence, whilst I did not expect luxury, I did expect a little bit more.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank 88Don
Reviewed 4 January 2010

This is not a chalet - more like an apartment building. There is no comfy lounge to sit in and relax after a hard days skiing. There is a room in the basement with a couple of old sofas in it and that is supposed to be the lounge - very unappealing and absolutely no character. The dining room is OK but very cramped if you are a large party (we were 20 )
Bedrooms are basic but OK although the pillows are awful. There is one room with two pull down beds joined together in a frame which is very poor.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and the food is pretty good on the whole although the meat was very poor quality and tough.
The boot room and ski store are in the basement and you are supposed to take your boots off in the hallway before going downstairs to deposit the skis - not very convenient as there is nowhere to sit down in the hallway and god help you if you try to walk down the stairs with your ski boots on - the stairs are marble and you take your life in your hands.
The location of the chalet makes it tricky to get to and from the slopes easily. Zermatt is a resort which is living on its reputation and needs to get its act together. It is a car free town but the bus service does not operate from 1-4 pm????? When a bus does come along it is packed. The links on the mountain are poor with not enough chair lifts and they shut down the link lifts far too early. The pistes are narrow and boring and there is no off piste and moguls. Compared to the 3 valleys this a third division ski area. Cervinia is better by far but the telecabine to get there does not operate if there is so much as a breath of wind.
All in all the chalet is not good enough for the money and we will not be returning to Zermatt as it is vastly overrated.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank alamo650_0
skitotal, owner at Chalet Kamanga, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2010

Just to put alamo650_0's comments in perspective, lots of guests have stayed at the Kamanga this season, and several thousand in the last 10 years. Guests' feedback forms this season show that 94% say they had an excellent/good holiday. Food is a very subjective matter though, and whilst we are sorry to see these views, we also know that 92% of guests this season have rated the quality of food at the Kamanga as 'excellent' or 'good'. In short, we make no claims for 'luxury' here, but promote the Kamanga for exactly what it is - an extremely good value Zermatt Chalet in a good location, within a 6 minute walk of the Klein Matterhorn lifts, and clearly the majority of its guests over several seasons agree.

Reviewed 31 October 2009

We booked via Zermatt Chalets and the description of Kamanga sounded perfect. However the location and standard of accommodation left a lot to be desired and certainly did not meet expectations.

Having been to Zermatt several times, this was the worst place we've ever been to. Will not be back! Total Ski were also terrible!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends