“A Zermatt Must”

Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Living in Switzerland can make you sick of bad service, astronomical prices and cheese, especially if you're a fan of traditional Swiss fayre. This little place, however, was enough to almost restore my faith in Swiss restaurants. Friendly, attentive, efficient service – my next plate of raclette à gogo was always ready before I was – along with reasonable prices and delicious food (we can vouch for salad, viande sechée and raclette) warrant a top-notch review.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

after checking out a few restaurants we took a chance and went in and landed up eating in the basement which actually was quite quaint, warm and cosy. the lady serving was full of beans and was doing an excellent job alone of handling all the tables which included two tour groups as well. we ordered the pork and lamb with a local beer, very tasty large serves and fresh, we were in and out within the hour, perfect for a qiuck meal. Despite the lady being pressured she did a good job and we even tipped her. two meals and a beer CHF 72 .

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This quaint little restaurant just off the main road through Zermatt offers all the expected fondue's and rosti's at a good few franc below some other places in town.

We ate there yesterday and the food was great,the portions more than we could manage, and the staff were friendly and welcoming.

I can certainly recommend Restaurant Stadel to anyone looking for a great warm meal in this most beautiful little town.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

A wet day in zermatt drew us in here. Ostensibly a traditional eatery with pretty wood paneling. I echo the views of some other reviews - the lady in charge is exceptionally rude. Why bother being in the service industry if you can't be bothered? On 3 occasions she rolled her eyes at us - when we asked if our 7 year old might have toasted bread with ham instead of cheese ( she can't eat dairy) - what a drama, yes imagine making toast and ham in a kitchen? Then snapped at us when we asked for bread 'just wait' she barked throwing her hands up. If we hadn't had hungry kids we would've left. The food - I had penne - overcooked, no cream in the tomato cream sauce. Tasteless arrabiata, just a couple of chilli flakes. How can you overcook pasta in a restaurant? My daughter was served inedible chicken and chips - which were so hard I actually cracked my tooth when I tasted them. Muck. Sorry to say it but true. My son had spaghetti -bland. Husband mushroom soup. Bland. Just do not on any basis eat in this place. The waitress is the type you just wouldn't challenge unless you wanted to ruin your day. Shudder.

2  Thank havanagirlGlasgow
Reviewed 28 June 2014

this nice Swiss restaurant is just off the main street and offers all kind of cheese fondues, specialties from Valais at very good prices. the place is busy and the service is done by very active ladies. the cheese fondue was great, the rosti are just huge and everything was cooked perfectly