“Nice hotel”

Christiania Mountain & Spa
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a nice hotel with rooms offering good view of Matterhorn. Rooms and lobby look quite old but it has good pool, jacuzzi area etc. which can keep you engaged. It has a small play area for small kids. Open restaurent adds to its charm. Near to railway station. Overall, nice place to stay. For vegetarians, the restaurent may not offer too many items.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jaish23

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had an unbelievable stay here for a weekend but for a whole week even is much better. A fantastic spa and this amazing view of the Matterhorn overwhelmed us. The riverside location 100 meters from the valley station to Sunegga train is ideal. Small point deduction for the kitchen in the restaurant as we would have liked more regional cuisine. Conclusion: we will come back again and again and again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Love to stay there, making so more than 5 years twice a year. VERY friendly, nice and unchangeable staff, you can rely on them in every situation. The hostess treats every guest personally and she always busy making your staying perfect – from early breakfast till late evening. Rooms are big and warm with nice balconies. The SPA is excellent – spacious hall, big windows with view to the Matterhorn, 3 saunas, ice zone and quiet zone, jacuzzi, children pool and enormous pool. Plus massage, beauty cabinet, and tennis court in summer. And all is new and perfectly well!
The only one thing that made me sad this year – perviously they had had in the restaurant my favourite Zander fillet mit Sauerkraut, the most delicious fish dish in the whole Sweiz, but this year menu was changed and I have no chances to taste it.. But it is personally for me, and the other menu is good. So I look forward for the summer vacation and visit to Christiania Hotel Zermatt.

Room Tip: Garni part is better to choose to be closer to the SPA, and it is easier to get there (it is just ne...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had an exceptional stay at this hotel. My husband and I traveled with my almost 2 year old daughter and my parents, and we were looking for a hotel close to the lifts with plenty of stuff to keep my daughter and mom entertained during the day while the rest of us were skiing. This place was perfect!

There is a huge 25 meter pool, plus a really warm, awesome kid's pool, plus a warm pool with bubbles (called thermalbad here in Switzerland, sort of similar to a hot tub in the US, but not so hot, so it is fine for kids and pregnant people to go in there and the bubbles are way better). They also have a variety of saunas and steam rooms.

They also have a kid's playroom with toys, a ball pit, pool table so between playing in the playroom and the pool/spa, my mom and daughter had a great time in the hotel during the day.

Breakfast buffet with smoked salmon, different meats, cheeses, breads, variety of yogurts, muesli, fruits, cereal, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, bacon and sausage.

Rooms are well equipped with everything you need. They had a full size crib set up for my daughter with her own mini pillow and down duvet, which is adorable. They also had bathrobes and slippers for us and an adorable toddler sized bathrobe for my daughter. Beds are very comfortable, bathrooms modern, lovely. The style of decor in the rooms is a bit dated in my opinion (the style, not the quality, which was excellent), but that didn't bother us as the hotel had everything we needed to really enjoy our stay.

Service is also very friendly, helpful. Location is superb for access to the Sunnegga lift (2 minute walk, maybe 150 meters, from the front door on a flat, easily walkable street).

I don't think you can get any better value for the money in Zermatt than this!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have just come back from a week in Zermatt. The weather was poor for 4 of our 7 days and on many occasions the lifts in some of the ski areas were closed due to very high winds. This could have ruined our holiday but, because of the hospitality of the hoteliers and staff of the Hotel Christiania, we had one of our best holidays ever.
We booked the ski package directly with the hotel which included half board, lift pass, parking and transport from Tasch, an accompanied ski day to Cervinia (which we couldn't get to due to gale force winds),and use of the spa. The package was excellent value for money.
Our room was beautiful and, of course, spotlessly clean. Chambermaids came in whilst we were at dinner to 'tidy up' and prepare the beds. I travel a lot for my work and stay at many so called 4 star hotel but it has been a long time since I have experienced this level of service.
The same standards extended to the Reception staff, who were friendly, professional and could not do enough for you. Bart, a member of the reception staff even accompanied us on our aborted trip to Cervinia and made what could have been a disastrous day into one of great fun and a lot of laughter, so thank you Bart.
We found the food excellent, just the right sized portions and a fabulous salad buffet which also included a different cold cut each night of either roast beef, bresaola or smoked salmon. The service was excellent as was the attention to detail by the staff. You can tell when waiting staff have been properly trained, have pride in their work and actually enjoy it!
The spa was the best surprise. Larger than most hotel swimming pools, huge Jacuzzi, lots of sun beds to relax on, 2 different types of sauna and my favourite, a fabulous steam bath. Perfect after a hard day on the slopes or, indeed, a day when skiing is not an option.
All this would not happen without excellent management by Mrs Franzen and her family team who are on the spot all the time to make sure their guest have the best experience possible in their lovely hotel, even when the weather is dire!!!! This level of service does not happen by accident.
We would like to thank the whole team at the Christiania for an unforgettable holiday. See you in 2016.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra if there is a Matterhorn view room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LindaG458
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked three nights last minute and were very pleasantly surprised.

1) Wonderful authentic ambiance that enhanced our Zermatt experience.
2) Convenient location, a very short flat walk to the ski lifts, buses and the main street.
3) Our room was spacious, well appointed and with a fantastic Matterhorn view.
4) The breakfast and dinner was fantastic and of the high standard expected.
5) The service from the team was very professional, helpful and friendly. There is pride taken in in their care for their guests.
6) The spa area is stunning, far superior to the five star hotel where we stayed for our last 4 nights in Zermatt
Brod & Helen Sydney Australia

Room Tip: Get a room with a view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I enjoyed a 4 night stay here while skiing in Zermatt. I phoned ahead from the station and the driver was there to pick me up within about 30 seconds. Check-in was painless and I must have been in my room within about 10 minutes of getting off the train. Having originally booked a single room I was pleased to be given an upgrade to an excellent and spacious double room with balcony and Matterhorn view. My main reason for booking this hotel was the Spa and it really is an outstanding facility with 25m pool, various saunas, steam room and hot tub. Great for winding down after a day on the slopes.

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk form the main Sunnega lift which saves a lengthy hike in your ski boots or getting the ski bus. You can easily walk to the town centre in 10 minutes at a leisurely pace.

Being so exhausted after my first skiing of the season I ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of evenings rather than venturing into town. There was a reasonable choice on offer and prices seemed reasonable for what is, after all, an expensive resort.

The free wi-fi was fast and reliable with good coverage throughout the hotel. There's also a computer available at the entrance to the bar providing free internet access.

Overall I had a great stay here and would definitely be my first choice if I return to Zermatt in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo