“Matterhorn view-Perfect location”
Review of Hotel Le Mazot

Hotel Le Mazot
Ranked #92 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights in September, 2012 and couldn't have been more pleased with our room.
First of all, it was an easy walk from the train station and lifts, but a couple blocks from the noise of the main street. Our room had a huge private balcony with a view of the Matterhorn where we enjoyed a glass of wine and snacks in the afternoon. (Note to owners: a small table and a couple of lounge chairs would have made it even better!) The old town was to the right, the Matterhorn straight ahead, and the river to the left.
The hotel only offers a few rooms with a keyed private entrance off the street and a restaurant on the ground floor. We didn't eat there, but enjoyed a great pizza and salad at the restaurant Vieux Valais right across the street.
Our room was clean and comfortable and well maintained. The included breakfast was served downstairs in a cheery room--typical buffet fare.
We were there for the hiking and enjoyed a different route each of the four days. It had snowed the night before we arrived so some of the trails were covered in snow, but well marked by signs. It felt less touristy than Grindelwald (our next stop) and lots of mountaineering/trekking types all around.
This was my fifth trip to Switzerland, but my first time in Zermatt and I had read that it was difficult to get to and a "one mountain town". We found it easy to reach by train and we were blessed by great Fall weather. Sometimes the Matterhorn would be in the clouds, but they always parted for long views of what is really a unique, majestic mountain. I think the Jungfrau area is gorgeous and offers more diversity of hiking options, but it also is more touristy. Zermatt has a "sporty" energy and I'm glad I didn't listen to the naysayers.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hartomine
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Mazot

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Just perfect for 2 Aussie 60 year old budget conscious backpackers touring Switzerland. Away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger resorts.
Beautiful view of the Matterhorn from our cute little room (with en suite)
We dined just across the road in a wonderful garden restaurant where we received VIP attention.
The sound of the river was absolutely wonderful....lay in bed watching the Matterhorn and the night full of stars, before falling into a deep slumber.
Breakfast next morning was to die for - absolutely nutritious and delicious.
Clean and every thing you need. Highly recommend this perfect little piece of paradise.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed here one night and enjoyed it. Small rooms, although it was enough for me. The staff was very helpful when I interacted with them. The breakfast was good. Everything was very clean here. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jszafraniec
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Great little hotel, cosy, perfect location, good value, good service, friendly staff and nice breakfast.. I had a lovely time here but I'm a light sleeper & my room was right next to the river which sounded like Niagara falls with the window open so didn't sleep too well of a night. If I stay here again I'll opt for a room on the other side of the hotel ;)

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank ClareyMcbee
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotl is perfect for the simple traveller. I came on my own for quick ski fix and this was a perfect choice. The rooms are tiny but very clean and allqq you need for a quick trip. Wifi is complimentary which is a real plus. I would stay here again if traveling simply. Not fancy but good value in Zermatt!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2012

During ski season, this place is run as an Inghams chalet. Phil and Alex were great chalet hosts. and really made the stay special.

The chalet is excellently located, being on top of the ski bus stop, and a very short walk to all the main facilities - shops, bars, restaurants, even a supermarket on the same street.

Room Tip: We were part of a large group, and so experienced a few of the rooms. If you have a choice, I would...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jeb2Esher
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We spent 1 week here from the 14th January and had a thoroughly enjoyable time!
I am giving Le Mazot a 5 rating on account of our chalet hosts, Phil and Alex, who did a fantastic job of looking after their guests, cooking, servicing the rooms and cleaning the chalet to a very high standard. Otherwise it would be a 4/5.
Zermatt is a 3 hour coach journey from Geneva airport and then 20 minutes by train where we arrived at the town to be transported by electric taxi to Le Mazot in time for our evening meal which is served at 8pm prompt. (This hour may not suit every, including ourselves). The evening meal has three courses and also entrees if you arrive a little earlier plus table wine. The meals were very good, home-cooked and served by our chalet hosts. We chose to eat out in Zermatt on a couple of nights but ensured we told Phil and Alex in advance.
I liked our room, number 3, it suited our needs having a desk area, a wardrobe and plenty of space under the bed for cases, a view of the Matterhorn and a very wide balcony. The bath/shower room was also spacious with another French door leading onto the balcony.
The river could also be seen running down behind Le Mazot as well as old Alpine buildings and hotels of the town. It was a magical awakening when light dawned seeing the famous mountain from my bed!
Zermatt is very pretty in the snowy season and can be walked around easily (with the right boots) as it is compact and has lots of character. Le Mazot is in an excellent position for all amenities being a few minutes walk to the centre. After dark the town twinkles with Christmas lights for the Skiiing season and now and then horse-drawn sleigh rides glide by with bells romantically jingling.
The museum is worth a visit . This focuses on Alpine life and has a room dedicated to those who have climbed the Matterhorn with exhibits retrieved from the mountain, the tragic story of Edward Whymper and his fellow climbers being one of the most famous and moving.
There is a plaque on the exterior of the Monte Rosa hotel in his memory near the museum, where he and his companions set off from before their ascent in 1865.

Eating out in Zermatt is a good experience and we chose Grampis one night which had excellent service and for drinking and relaxing we chose Elsies Bar which had cosiness, Champagne, smoked salmon and oysters. I also liked The Little Bar which was quaint and popular hosted by Kiki. 'Potter's Bar' is a British bar which can be found down a side road.
The town gets busy at the week-end for night-life and the hotel opposite Le Mazot had a band in on Saturday night until quite late.
The mountains all around for skiing or boarding are excellent and we had superb conditions during our week. There is lots of choice for all levels particularly intermediate and expert.
The fenicular railway to the Sunnegga slopes is 5 minutes walk away from the hotel.
We had some brilliant pictures taken with a couple St Bernard dogs by a friendly British photographer on the Gornergrat slopes with the Matterhorn as the backdrop. These were collected later from one of the photofast shops in town. The views of the iconic mountain are stunning from all the slopes.
We booked our holiday through Inghams who do a professional job.
I hope to retun to Zermatt one day but until then I have wonderful memories and many photographs.

Room Tip: Get a view of the Matterhorn
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple