“Not what you expect in Switzerland”
Review of Hotel Helvetia

Hotel Helvetia
Ranked #9 of 32 Zermatt B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I spent two nights in the Hotel Helvetia with friends from the UK in April 2013. I'll start with the hotel's only good point, which is its location on the main street - not too far from the train or cable car stations. In every other respect, though, this hotel is abysmal and not a great advert either for Swiss hospitality or Zermatt's tourism industry. The welcome we received on arrival was nothing short of ambivalent. Hello, here is your key. We humphed our bags up to the top floor to discover not the triple room we had reserved, but a cramped double with a sofa bed. There was virtually no floor space. The decor was dated - indeed the bathroom looks like it was last decorated in the 70s. Some of the lights didn't work. Breakfast, we were told, was from 8 to 10, so on the day of our departure we showed up at 8 hoping to get an early breakfast before our train. But the restaurant was dark, and the door locked. No sign of life. A good half hour later a young woman showed up and breezily informed us that she started work at 8.30, not 8. All of this together with the price of the stay and the hotel staff's general air of indifference mean I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Pay a bit more and stay somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Martin S, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear all

We have only double rooms with extra bed in our hotel. Unfortunately we have to call them triple room, as no other names exist in the booking channels. Therefore the rooms are very small for three adults, as is the price;)

Attention, no elevator in the hotel! If you need help with your luggage, don't hesitate to ask on the desk - we have some strong men in our staff.

Dear Richard
Sorry for the unfriendly staff. I had a problem with one person - she don't work in our hotel anymore.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I just stay here for 1 night with my husband, I understood that the price of US$230 is nothing compared with other hotel in Zermatt.
But I do really disappointed for the stay.
It ok for no lift, but it's really a bit hard for us to move 2 large lugguages to the 3rd floor with its very narrow, deep spiral staircases.
We were so surprised once we got the room, not only because of the extremely small in size, but the bed was just a single one, I have booked a double I was sure. We though that we just stay for 1 night, so just leave it.
But after we went out for 2 hours, we found that they prepared an extra bed in the middle of the room, which, the height of the bed is different with the original one, and also, due the to room setting, the head of the bed is aligning to the other side of the room, which I have to sleep separately with my hubby on that night. My hubby said, the extra bed was just like the bed for operation in hospital, which it's really looks alike, we would rather they didn't prepare this for us.
After setting this extra bed, we completely can't open our suitcases! (you can image how small the room is), we have to do it on the bed, sigh~
What make it worse, the bathroom is not comfortable at all. I accept that the small in size, but the shower water is not hot at all, I turn it the most hottest side, but it just came with "warm water", and the water running was also very very weak.
I am really disappointed with the stay, I enjoyed the time in Zermatt, which is town is very nice and beautiful, but the night in Hotel Helvetia was really ruinning my mood.

Room Tip: choose another one if budget allowed
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SandyL792

Dear Sandy

As already discussed on check-out, I'm very sorry about the misunderstanding and our mistake. I do understand you are very disappointed.

Regards Martin

Reviewed 2 April 2013

If you're looking for a perfect location in the very center of Zermatt, for a 'reasonable' price, look no further than Hotel Helvetia (and by reasonable I mean less than 400CHF per night). The hotel is situated on the main street in the city, and is right in the middle of the bar/restaurant scene of Zermatt, which is very convenient. That being said, the street noise from the bars carries up to your room so if you have issues sleeping you may need to choose another hotel off of the main street. The bars stayed open very late, and there are always clusters of people outside smoking/laughing/chatting. For us, the street noise wasn't an issue.

Our room was the tiniest room I have ever stayed in....ever; it was even smaller than the room on our last cruise ship. The bathroom was naturally very small since the room was tiny, but even worse it was very dated. A part of the shower perpetually fell off each time I would shower. The water temperature in the shower was also tricky; it would take a very long time for the water to heat up, and by the time it did it was so scalding hot that you couldn't stand under it. The scalding hot water would not cool off no matter how far you turned the nozzle to the 'cold' side. I finally decided to reach my hand out of the shower to turn on the cold water in the sink to try to balance out the temperature (which did finally work so I could rinse off). For the prices you pay in Zermatt, this situation should NEVER happen!

Another issue was the electricity; the power just shut off one morning in our room. I sent my Husband down to reception to inquire about this, and it turns out the fuse to our room had blown. The lady who helped him was very nice, but didn't seem to know how to solve the problem. My Husband ended up changing the fuse himself vice waiting hours for a handy man to arrive.

Aside from the negative aspects above, the hotel staff was very friendly, the breakfast spread was delicious with a good variety, and the hotel was clean. The bed was also very cozy and comfortable. My only suggestion to the owner would be to invest some money in room upgrades. I know he/she cannot make the rooms larger, however, the hotel would be much nicer without the 1970's era wood panel walls, very old bathrooms that are falling apart, and newer more modern furniture.

All in all, I would not stay here again but if you're in Zermatt for a short weekend, the room is bearable given the price. I think one would go crazy spending a 2 week holiday in such a room, but when compared to the astronomical prices of surrounding hotels in Zermatt you make make do.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear all

We offer two star double rooms budget, standard and superior. Our budget rooms are very small and have old bath rooms. I think these rooms are ok for a short stay in Zermatt for people just need a bed, shower and toilet in the room and a rich breakfast. For all other guests I recommend our Standard or Superior rooms.

Hope to hardly welcome you soon in Zermatt!
Martin

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Being aware of supply and demand in the ski season we knew that finding a value for money hotel in Zermatt was going to be a challenge. The purpose of staying there was to catch the Glacier Express. Location is excellent in the main street and not far from station, contrary to other reviews we had a side room on 3rd floor so no noise issues. Although we appreciate the style of the hotel the room was small, the bathroom was very small and in need of some TLC especially the shower cubicle. Our floor (3rd) the landing was also used as the hotel laundry and so immediately exiting our room we were faced with mobile screens hiding the laundry. Breakfast was minimal but suffcient as we only stayed one night. Staff were pleasant but we still didn't feel that the price was fair despite the time of year.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This hotel is located in the center of Zermott in the middle of all the shopping and nightlife. We stayed in the family room so it was very spacious. It had a bedroom, a large living room with an L-shaped couch and a bed and a nice kitchen. Breakfast is included but it is really nothing special.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed two nights on a guided hiking trip so I can't speak to value. The location is excellent - close to the train station and downtown. Dinner and breakfast were included in our plan and both were good. The staff were kind and helpful. The rooms are quite small and very dated. Our room faced the street - on the positive side we had a balcony to enjoy, on the negative the street noise carried on very late and challenged getting a good night sleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple