“Unique hotel with terrific staff”

Backstage Hotel Vernissage
Ranked #29 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
Basel, Switzerland
“Unique hotel with terrific staff”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed three nights in this hotel in one of the cube rooms. What a special room this was with the bed on top of the bathroom and the alternate color lights! The staff could not be better, some of the friendliest and welcoming hotel staff I've ever encountered. Their friendliness was genuine and not the usual forced politeness of hotel staff. The spa of course is a great and a very special end to your day spent hiking etc. 7 different rooms for all the senses. Breakfast was excellent. Only thing, it said the room had a view of the Matterhorn, but you could only see the tip of the mountain when you stood on your toes in a specific spot in the room. I don't think this specific room is suitable for older people or small kids (for example, the bath is very high and if you have short legs may be difficult to get out) Something small but special I will remember is the way the staff arranged my sleep wear on the bed... really cute! And they tried to accommodate us every time we asked for something. We also asked to see examples of the other rooms on the Monday morning we left and they were happy to give us a tour. Then they offered to take us to the train station in an electric car although it was really close to the hotel. Maybe our experience is not the usual one or when it is really busy but I've never experienced such friendliness in any other hotel. It's as if each of their staff is genuinely enjoying their job and does it with creativity and enthusiasm. They also recommended a great restaurant to us.

Room Tip: The cube rooms are great for romantic couples (although there is space for kids in the one we had...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jouyo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The backstage hotel is designed by Heinz Julen the owner of the Hotel. Heinz Julen was born in Zermatt and has designed several hotels. His style is an combination steel, glas an clear lines, with wood, fabric and feders. This combination formes a beautiful and relaxed atmosfeer. His original approche makes a visit a very nice experience. The rooms are very beautiful but also functional and luxuerius. If you are there you have to go to the Spa (which is based on the creation of the world) and the cinema downstairs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank meischke
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My wife and I just finished our stay in probably the best hotel we have ever stayed a. We have been travelling around the world for the last 20 years so I have some experience. This was our third trip to Zermatt and we wanted to do something different. The Backstage hotel is a new and modern hotel just opened and located quite ideally in the middle of the town short with distance to all facilities. It provides high quality rooms with a design that is totally different and worth the stay in intself. Our room was well equipped with everyhing you need including free internet. No issues with the light system and hot/cold shower... The hotel management was friendly and very much present and helping us with any issues and served a very good breakfast. The indor and outdoor spa facilites (free of charge for guests) were just amazing with seven different stations. My wife and I enjoyed all of them but most the one where we were floating in water for some twenty minutes listening to the underwater sounds of dolphins! In the end we just sank into the outdoor hot tub complety relaxed. A real bonus after the skiing or hiking. So only problem is: when can we come back to this beautiful place?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Erik19
Rome
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Backstage is the latest of more than a handful cool boutique style hotel in Zermatt. Unique design, great atmosphere, cool location, sweet staff !
For 470 CHF a night i was given what must have been the smallest room in the hotel...thank god i was travelling alone!
The rate included a full Swiss breakfast, free internet and access to the 7 wellness cubes. What i wasn't made aware of was the wellness facility wasn't quite ready...the day i decided to use the facility, the outdoor plunge pool was cold!
I then understood that the hotel only was open since a month although the website states they opened December 18th.
I have no problem being the "guinea pig” if i am informed and its reflected in the rate -Neither was the case.

Apart from the cramped room with the funky light control system, the only other thing i could fault was the in room shower. Hot and/or cold with out warning and impossible to control ...again super funky design but useless as a shower in a 500CHF room !! In a skiing resort you shower min. morning and afternoon so it’s (for me) quite essential that it’s a pleasure. I did mention this to the staff early during my stay and they claimed someone came to check ...well it didn't help so i again mentioned it, leaving time for the management to rectify, fix, compensate or whatever.....no, unfortunately I was left with excuses and explanations on how much replacement would costs. Not exactly what you will expect when paying top dollar for the room. As it is often the case...cool design doesn't make up for proper service and complaint handling. As a new hotel, why don't they go out of their way to make any guest impressed and leave happy?
Ironically i spend some great chatting time with Swedish Alexandra who seemed to be the only one who understood what Swiss Hotel Management really means ;-)

I am in the business myself so I can understand the relation between supply and demand, allowing the high rate, however with the high rate comes high expectations and these were meet to a large extend with the cool design but let down by the inability or unwillingness to resolve the essentials.
I will return to Zermatt as I really like the place but its unlikely that I will stay at Backstage.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo