Best Western PLUS Alpen Resort Hotel
Hotel Phoenix(Zermatt)
Carina Hotel(Zermatt)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssalt water pooltrain stationfamily roomsingle bedgreat viewmain buildingbathrobes and slippersshort walkexcellent hotelrestaurant staffski busstayed for one nightlarge balconyreception stafffree upgradebooked this hotelquiet area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed in five different hotels across Switzerland and this was easily the worst. It does not deserve its four star rating at all.
We were greeted by several stuffed marmosettes, which I found very unpleasant. The woman at the desk was rude and disinterested; in fact I found the hospitality throughout to be the worst I've ever experienced. We were given a twin room when I had booked a double, and when I brought this up with said hotel staff, we were informed that this was what we had asked for and bluntly informed that we had not paid enough for anything better.

Our room was dirty and there was a spider in the bath. On the wall was a hideous piece of "art" which was a blood red mess with the German word for "God" scrawled across the middle. The wifi signal was awful and they might as well not have bothered offering us the service, certainly not "high speed" as was advertised. Our room was on the ground floor and this could not be changed even though it made me very uncomfortable. The "garden" was a very small patio, barely large enough for a chair, with a patch of unweeded grass overlooked by a tennis court and some other people's rooms. If you stepped right out (over the stray plank of wood) onto the weeds you could see the Matterhorn and I found this to be VERY misleading of the advertisements from the hotel, "our rooms have panoramic views of the Matterhorn".

The positives were the breakfast, the spa facilities with a clean and pleasant pool and jacuzzi with almost all the jets working.

I found the whole thing to be a nightmare and I wished I'd stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Spend lots of money for the better rooms, or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Meruru
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My family and I stayed at the Best Western Alpen resort last year in September and it was clean, the staff were kind, friendly and very helpful. A perfect location in the heart of Zermatt, about a 4 minute walk to the train station and the village itself. I loved the food and its facilities, I would reccomend this hotel to families and couples. GREAT HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank corey_t424
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My first stay in this wonderful hotel! Food was outstanding, I'm a vegetarian and the staff went above and beyond to cater for this. We were lucky enough to be staying in one of the newly refurbished rooms which was beautifully decorated and spotless. The swimming and sauna facilities were lovely, and greatly appreciated after a days skiing! Staff were friendly and attentive, nothing was too much to ask from them. The manager Inge was delightful, always taking the time to speak to guests at dinner. Altogether a superb hotel with a homely atmosphere, which is unusual in such a large hotel. I would definately return!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Our 3rd stay at this excellent hotel. Staff are always friendly and very attentive, food is varied, plentiful and of a high standard and our large refurbished room was spotlessly clean. Add a large swimming pool, hot tub, sauna and steamroom and you have the perfect hotel for a ski holiday. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mmacGlasgow
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Excellent hotel in the centre of Zermatt. The chief-cock's menus are outstanding ! We were staying in the main house in a family room on the 2nd floor and 2 times the music was too loud late at night. When having children is not that pleasant. That was the only negative point. For the rest, this hotel is having all the comfort (sauna, 2 pools, fitness, ...) and the crowd is very kind and helpful. We will come back !!

Room Tip: Rooms in the second house are more quiet full for sleeping when the music is playing late at night. We were staying on the second floor in the main house. It's better when you sleep on higher floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family