“A PLEASANT FAMILY HOTEL”

Best Western PLUS Alpen Resort Hotel
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We orderd a room for four and recieved a two and a half rooms with two bathrooms apartment! The staff was kind and helpful, breakfast was more than satisfying, the pool was a pleasant way to end along day.We reccomend. Oh, don't forget to call the hotel as soon as you arrive to Zermat by train, the will come to take you from the railway station with the hotel's electric cart.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank letsgo58

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Nice Big Rooms, Helpful Staff, Pool and Sauna
...Comparatively little far from train station...View of Matternhorn from the room was great...

Room Tip: Choose rooms on upper floors facing with balcony, facing Matternhorn...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank nashkhan
Reviewed 13 June 2012

While visiting our son in Switzerland, he and his girlfriend took us on an overnighter to Zermatt. (If it doesn't ring a bell, this is where the famous Matterhorn peak is located.) He booked us at the Alpen Resort Hotel as a birthday gift. First of all, the view is truly breathtaking. Whether cloudy or clear, the view will stun you. It is very peaceful. This German-speaking town is great for, of course, skiing, snowboarding, and hiking. But there are shops galore, hidden restaurants, and tempting pastry shops. The proprietors of our hotel literally thought of EVERYTHING. From kleenex and wet towel racks in the bathroom (even a pull-out rack for your wet bathing suit) - none of the other hotels we had stayed at in Paris or Rome had these things, to towels and robes with a cute tote bag to make your swim a lot more pleasurable. My husband and I swam in the Olympic size salt-water pool, followed by a sauna AND steam room experience. Our son chose the freshwater pool. Breakfast, covered in the price of the room, included artisan breads, homemade jams, cheeses, meats, museli, fruit, cereal, yogurt, caffe, tea, oh and did I mention the champagne? There is free internet in the lobby, cozy little spots to enjoy drinks inside and out, tennis courts and a shuttle to the train. There are no cars in Zermatt except the taxis. We had a fully stocked kitchenette, but there were too many excellent restaurants to pick from. I can't rave enough about his hotel - it made our last few days in Europe very relaxing!

Room Tip: There are many hotels in this town - I only know that this one was perfect. We were on the second f...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jackie652
Reviewed 11 June 2012

A traditional alpine hotel close to all amenities. Our room had a magnificent view of the Matterhorn which was a delight to wake up to in the morning. The restaurant food was delicious and the service throughout our stay was very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a true Swiss alpine experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AusScot17
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I thank management and all employees of hotel Alpen Resort Hotel for perfectly organized service.
Comfortable and cozy rooms, magnificent kitchen, the affable and friendly personnel delivered true pleasure during stay to territories of this beautiful hotel.

Thanks.

Room Tip: I recommend a two-level room in the second case the case which is located on the top floor, under a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrey R
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed in five different hotels across Switzerland and this was easily the worst. It does not deserve its four star rating at all.
We were greeted by several stuffed marmosettes, which I found very unpleasant. The woman at the desk was rude and disinterested; in fact I found the hospitality throughout to be the worst I've ever experienced. We were given a twin room when I had booked a double, and when I brought this up with said hotel staff, we were informed that this was what we had asked for and bluntly informed that we had not paid enough for anything better.

Our room was dirty and there was a spider in the bath. On the wall was a hideous piece of "art" which was a blood red mess with the German word for "God" scrawled across the middle. The wifi signal was awful and they might as well not have bothered offering us the service, certainly not "high speed" as was advertised. Our room was on the ground floor and this could not be changed even though it made me very uncomfortable. The "garden" was a very small patio, barely large enough for a chair, with a patch of unweeded grass overlooked by a tennis court and some other people's rooms. If you stepped right out (over the stray plank of wood) onto the weeds you could see the Matterhorn and I found this to be VERY misleading of the advertisements from the hotel, "our rooms have panoramic views of the Matterhorn".

The positives were the breakfast, the spa facilities with a clean and pleasant pool and jacuzzi with almost all the jets working.

I found the whole thing to be a nightmare and I wished I'd stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Spend lots of money for the better rooms, or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Meruru
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My family and I stayed at the Best Western Alpen resort last year in September and it was clean, the staff were kind, friendly and very helpful. A perfect location in the heart of Zermatt, about a 4 minute walk to the train station and the village itself. I loved the food and its facilities, I would reccomend this hotel to families and couples. GREAT HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family