Hotel Alpenhof
Hotel Holiday(Zermatt)
Hotel Phoenix(Zermatt)
Admiral Hotel(Zermatt)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscigar roompiano bartrain stationoutdoor jacuzzismoking roompenthouse suitesheep farmsunnega liftspecial thanksswiss winehalf boardrecommend staying herewonderful spajulen familyhotel ownersexcellent hotelbreakfast and dinner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Bien situé, très bon accueil, chambre confortable (sans moquette au sol :-)) avec vue sur le cervin!!!, agréable jacuzzi. Buffet petit-déjeuner varié (manque seulement la "Zopf" le dimanche matin ;-)). Seul bémol : chambre trop chauffée la nuit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I was on a business trip to Bern Switzerland and I had a chance to spend the weekend in Zermatt. I had wanted to take the Glacier Express train from St Moritz, but the rail strike in Milan disrupted my plans – I ended up spending an extra night in Milan and missing my night in St Moritz and the Glacier Express – I was disappointed, and I will take the Glacier Express someday (hopefully with my wife) – but I ended up with more time than planned in Zermatt. What a beautiful little town! No traffic – little battery powered taxis and buses are the only vehicles allowed. The Matterhorn smiles grandly over the town. Many trails of all difficulty levels start and pass through Zermatt. There are many restaurants, shops, Inns, and theaters ranging from low cost to 5 star.
The Aplenhof Hotel is nicely located right on the river running through town. It is within walking distance from the train station and close to many restaurants and the main shopping area. I was greeted as I walked in by the proprietor, Peter. He gave me a warm welcome and spoke excellent English. The whole staff spoke excellent English and were patient with my attempts to speak a few words of Swiss-German with them. The room was above expectations. It was spotlessly clean, gorgeously appointed, and warm and inviting. My room had a balcony overlooking the small patio area on the ground level. There was a plate of fresh fruit waiting for me which was a pleasant surprise.
Dinner in the hotel restaurant was expensive but a good value for the a gourmet experience, with up to 5 courses, depending on how hungry I was. The wine list was extensive – I chose a value priced Swiss wine that I enjoyed. Breakfast was included and was excellent, with eggs and espresso drinks made to order. A glass of Prosecco was also complimentary.
Excellent location, world renowned beautiful alpine setting - hub of hiking and mountain biking in the summer, and snow sports in the winter. All this, and a friendly staff in a well run Inn – this hotel is a treat and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2011

In short, the room was clean and nice, service was really good and friendly, the food was great (very nice breakfast and lovely creative dinner), the spa was very nice and quiet and location is very convienient. Overall a great week-end, a place to recommend !

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I cannot understand how this hotel isn't rated more highly. Perhaps those who have stayed here are reluctant to give away details of this superb gem.
The rooms are of the highest quality & full of all mod cons.
The spa area is absolutely gorgeous & sitting in the lovely steaming jacuzzi under the stars will never be forgotten.
The location is excellent with the ski bus stopping right outside.The underground funicular is a 2 minute walk away.
Lift passes can be purchased directly from reception, where they are added onto your room card which gives the advantage of one bit less of plastic to look after.
Food standards are wonderful & the dining room is beautiful.The wines are very expensive for those of us with poor exchange rates, however the nearby supermarket prices were ok.
I do not feel my review does this hotel justice. Suffice to say If i didn't think it was good & worthy of recommendation I wouldn't say so.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happysept09
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I travelled to the Alpenhof Hotel in early December with my wife and three year old son. Service was at all times exceptional, particularly as we were travelling with our son. The front desk and service staff were extraordinariliy nice; getting special meals for my son, letting us leave things for the day as we skied, making referrals for day care, making referrals for a good English pub (not sure one exists, really, but they tried) and so on. Herald Tribune waiting for us every day. They even made a special arrangement for us to eat in our room as our son was in jet lag melt down mode and we figured this was best for all involved. Fitness center is very small, but did the job. My son and wife and I had fun in the pool. Note that I did not get this from the website but the spa and whirlpool area are a no-clothing-allowed type area, where you can wear a towel getting around but no bathing suits. This was okay for us, but I did not pick this up from the Website and so I'm mentioning it here so people know. Food at every point was very good to exceptional.

As mentioned elsewhere the decorations are a mish mash, but it all worked for me. The with full board option is quite a deal as the food is very, very good.

The only thing keeping me from a five star rating was that the heat in our room was not adjustable and the room is extremely hot. (I am guessing 76-80F). Apparently in some rooms, the heat is adjustable. On our floor it wasn't, and so we slept with the window open all night, and even though it was about 20F outside, we were still very warm. It's a quiet town with no cars, so the window being open doesn't let in too much noise, but still, it's an unusal thing. In the summers or in mild weather I'm guessing this is not noticeable, but it was an odd thing for us to deal with.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family