“Best 4star ever. Location, service, food and view is awesome.”
Review of Europe Hotel & Spa

Europe Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
san diego
“Best 4star ever. Location, service, food and view is awesome.”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I often pick 5star hotels, but this one came highly recommended by a friend who has been going to Zermatt for years. This recommendation was spot on. You must not just stay there, you should get 1/2 board. The food is amazing. The staff is incredible. Christoph (I hope this is correct) showed us our room, gave us great advice for touring and as everyone there, concerned with our experience. The owners are on site much of the time and what a difference that makes. It is personable, yet professional with regular reminders that if there is something you need, ask. I will return and I can't recommend this hotel and little city enough.

Room Tip: A lot of people love the new wing, but I kinda like the older area. It is so charming.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hungarian first
Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Zermatt is the place to enjoy Mountains from down and from top of different places like Gornergrat or from Klein Matterhorn at a hight of about 4000 m above sea. At such a stunning place, you definitively want to enjoy the night and the morning in a good hotel, don't you? The hotel Europe is such a place I warmly recommend. Swiss Tourism rated it as among the 100 best hotels in Switzerland. Always a bit doubtful about ratings, I tested it myself: I enjoyed a great time there, indeed. Heartly welcome at arrival (after a short trip from the railway station by the hotel's own electric taxi), a perfectly designed room with a lovely bathroom, an amazingly nice and peaceful wellness area, and on top of that, perfectly relaxed, a tasty and delicious dinner. The owner of the hotel himself as well as his wife enjoyed a little chat with us. He is a passionate sheep breeder: the lovely black nose sheep is his passion. You find little hints in the hotel on this passion, too. This hotel gives you the best start for a successful next day. What else would you want?!

Room Tip: All rooms are charming and great
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rolf688
Toronto
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Was here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay! Great service! Very nice, large room for two. Will stay at this hotel again when I am back in Zermatt! One thing I will note is that it was very expensive but, so is all of Zermatt so no complaints from me!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We enjoyed the stay in this hotel despite suboptimal weather as we unfortunately could not see the Matterhorn during 48 hours in the village! The room was clean, nice and large enough to spend time in it while it was raining cats and dogs outside. The Spa is very nice, new and on a good level for a 4 star house in Switzerland. The breakfast was very good, although it took very long to prep an omelette (maybe they had to collect the eggs in the chicken stall first :)! The personnel was very friendly and helpful. I would go there again anytime.

The only downside was the noise of the church nearby as the bell is ringing every hour or more during the night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andreas K
Beaverton
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My stay at the Europe in Zermatt was the culmination of a 10 day hiking tour through the Bernese Oberland. It was a wonderful choice as the hotel staff was welcoming, the ambience relaxing and the location quiet yet convenient to main street Zermatt. The hotel receptionists were exceptionally nice and helpful. The food was delicious and the kitchen accommodated my dietary requirements. While I did not have a view of the Matterhorn (which was in the clouds most of the time anyway), my room was comfortable, and I had the best sleep of my entire trip. A view back over the roofs of Zermatt to the mountains was nice. I loved the soap sheep in the bathroom. The owners came around at dinner, and I felt well cared for and even special at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel was the best one we stayed at during our Swiss trip! I had done my research on tripadvisor and other places and booked our room at the Europe Hotel & Spa. We took a room with the view of Matterhorn. From the moment we stepped into the hotel we were not disappointed. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room and view was breathtaking. From the moment you entered the room, it gave a very peaceful and relaxed feeling. Dont miss this hotel. I highly recommend it to anyone going to Zermatt!

Room Tip: Room with a view of Matterhorn is highly recommended!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank G_the_Globetrotter84
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

After three years without going to Europe, we finally got back to Zermatt and the Europe Hotel in June. This is the 6th or 7th time we have stayed there. It is a home away from home for us. We were there for 8 nights. The hotel has two sections, the traditional Swiss section, which was the original hotel, and a very modern section, which was built and opened a few years ago. We always stay in the traditional section on the 3rd or 4th floor with a room facing south with direct view of the Matterhorn. The hotel is located 5 minutes walk from the main street in Zermatt and ten minutes walk from all the different alpine transport, so it's very conveniently located; at the same time, it is set in a nook beyond the street so that there is no noise whatsoever. No one walks by, no electric carts go by. It's incredibly quiet. The view on the Matterhorn is spectacular. The rooms are a good size and very well designed. A landmark of the hotel is its cuisine. We always take demi pension. We have traveled extensively and the Europe's breakfast is our favorite in the world. Dinners are a fixed menu with five courses, but the kitchen is always willing to prepare substitute dishes is something isn't what you want. The food is always extremely good and sometimes it is out of this world. The chef is extremely willing to adapt menus for food restrictions. We are both lactose intolerant. We let the hotel know this a week in advance. The chef had lactose free products purchased for us: milk, butter, yogurt, mozzarella cheese, cream, etc. Every morning at breakfast, as soon as they saw us, the waitresses brought these products to our table. In addition, the chef would come out and review the evening's menu with us to tell us the adjustments he was going to make and seek our approval. Thus we were able to eat without worry the whole time. The bar area is very welcoming and fun for before and after dinner. There is a beautiful Wellness Center below ground and we used the whirlpool pool every day. it was incrediibly relaxing and soothing. The staff at the front desk are very helpful. And lastly, there are the owners, the Julens: Rudi and Marianne, and now their daughter Corinne -- they are totally hands on, manage every detail of the hotel, are there every day, and are very thoughtful to all their guests. We can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Our vote is for the traditional wing of the hotel, 3rd or 4th floor, corner room, facing south.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family