“Zermatt Original - first Zermatt hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Monte Rosa

Hotel Monte Rosa
Ranked #54 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
Zurich, Switzerland
“Zermatt Original - first Zermatt hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

The hotel is quite lovely and was renovated to include modern facilities. Our room was on the front side of the hotel which provided an interesting view of the town and hills beyond, but was rather noisy until late at night. The room was quite large and had a beautiful bathroom, with amentities like hair dryer, heated towel rack, shampoos, robes, etc. The waters, sodas and fruit juices in the minibar were included in the price of our room!

Although the hotel has an electric shuttle from the train station, it is in easy walking distance and the walk is quite nice. The hotel is the oldest in Zermatt and was made famous by Edward Whymper who was among the group that was the first to scale the Matterhorn. Although the hotel does not have great views of the Matterhorn, it is just a short distance on foot before you see it looming above you.

The restaurant is beautiful with crown moulding and crystal chandeliers and a wonderful breakfast buffet is served each morning. The staff were all outstanding - and you have access to the spa at their sister hotel The Mont Cervin which is just down the street.

I would highly recommend the Monte Rosa.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the noise of skiers and hikers returning from late night partying, ask for a ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
SeilerHotelsZermatt, Gérant at Hotel Monte Rosa, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Tripadvisor member,

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future !

André Seiler & the entire Monte Rosa Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

One of the top hotels I've ever stayed in. Just magnificent in every way. Every single person working for the hotel was absolutely lovely, and took a real interest in our happiness. Even off-season not an inexpensive place, but so worth it.

Room Tip: Hotels fronting on Bahnhof Strasse have excellent views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank magap99

St. Dogmaels, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

My husband had gone leaping up mountains so left to my own devices I did a bit of shopping in Zermatt and thought I would like to sit for a while with the papers and a coffee.
Looking around for somewhere nice my eyes fell on a board outside the Mone Rosa offering `kaffee & kutschen for 9.50sf - bargain I thought having not seen anywhere so inviting.
Sun was shining so I headed for the terrace, gave my order to a very nice young lady and settled down with my paper. The choice of cakes was impressive, apple, strudel, berries & cream and chocolate which was my choice. Order arrived promptly, lovely coffee and a gorgeous chocolate cake which looked almost too pretty to eat, but I managed it. Another waiter had arrived and chatted to me about the London Olympics which was really nice of him because sometimes when you are in a restaurant alone you feel a bit conspicuous especially for a woman.
I paid my bill and asked if I could use the toilet, my charming young waitor took me inside and gave me directions.The inside of the hotel is lovely and beautifully decorated, in all it is a lovely place with very pleasant and courteous staff, considering I was only there for coffee I was treated amazingly so thank you Monte Rosa, even if my husband does say I have delusions of grandeur.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed here as a couple - first time in a ski resort for me (!) so we didn't really know what's what. They collected us free of charge from Zermatt station (we just rang from Tasch parking) and reception gave a friendly welcome. We had requested a room with a bath and seperate shower but were shown to a pretty room but one with a shower over bath. This was a real disappoint to me as I wanted a good bathroom to kind of 'spa' whilst my other half skied. The lady was professional enough to sense my strong disappointment and consult Management about an upgrade to a room with a seperate shower and bath. As it was right at the end of the season I got lucky and we were upgraded to a stunning Suite with a fabulous bathroom (suite 204 or 201??? sorry!). Anyway Management made the right decision and that was refreshing - it literally would have spoiled my trip otherwise - fussy I know but each to their own!!

The hotel is on the main 'High Street' of Zermatt but not noisy because there are no cars allowed of course. It made walking around a pleasure because all the shops and restaurants were really close at hand. We used the spa every day at their Sister Hotel the Mont Cervin - it wasn't exactly next door as we had been led to believe (we had hoped to be able to wear bathrobes between the two but this is definitely not possible!). It was, however, only a two minute walk and worth going. Location really excellent - right between the two ski stations - down the hill to the train serviced slopes and up the hill for the cable car serviced slopes. Unbeatable position.

Breakfast was quite formal in a beautiful ornate dining room and the buffet selection was good. Only moan was that my partners scrambled eggs were powdered - an absolute disgrace in a good hotel. Food wise I think we just maybe had some odd bad luck because we really wanted to eat at night in the hotel because the lounge rooms were so beautiful and cosy but we had been put off by a room service dinner early in our stay. We both had chicken Caesar salad and were really disappointed in the lack of chicken, the dull tasteless sauce and the general small portion size. Basically we paid a fortune for two bowls of lettuce that gave us upset tummies! Perhaps we should have tried again food wise but with all the choice of Zermatt on our doorstep, we didn't. Certainly the bar was great - the service friendly and professional and generally a nice polite, well dressed and happy looking bunch of guests. We saw them eating what looked like great food - maybe we just lucked out with late night room service cooking!

Due to unexpected illness (not the lettuce!), we had to cut short our continued stay in Zermatt - we were supposed to stay in the Mont Cervin, the sister hotel, for a few days because the Monte Rosa was closing for end of season: both hotels worked together to juggle our days, release us from a booking and generally be helpful to our amended plans - things like this are what make parting with money bearable. We had wandered the streets of an evening after dinner snooping on other hotels to see if we'd made the right choice (kind of a homework trip prior to booking a proper full on ski trip) and we were left with the feeling that we had. The Monte Rosa being homely but luxurious and the Mont Cervin ticking ALL the boxes should we ever become richer! The Omni was on a different level again but not of a price comparison for us to even be able to consider!

Housekeeping was 10/10 and I'm fussy! Laundry service was reliable but extremely expensive. All staff were delightful - formal but smiling.

Overall we didn't fall in love with Zermatt (contact me if you want an opinion) but the hotel itself was a solid safe choice. Definitely would tick the idyllic Christmas stay box.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank londonperson
SeilerHotelsZermatt, Gérant at Hotel Monte Rosa, responded to this review, 10 June 2013

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was our second stay at the Monte Rosa (we had a very pleasant stay two years ago, see review from 8/2010). The hotel lived up to our expectations although we had a situation with our room. As it was a special event I'd been in touch with reservations few times to confirm all the details yet when we arrived the room we got was different from what we expected. It was a nice room but with no seating area and very much on the small size, definitely smaller than the type of room we booked. Only after inquiring we were told that the room we'd booked originally was not available. This is the sort of things you hope doesn't happen but once it does you expect at least to be informed about. We refused an upgrade to a bigger room with limited view.

In one of the very recent reviews of the Monte Rosa you can see a similar case when room was not available at all up on arrival (review from 2/13). That person was offered a room in a different hotel and didn't mind. We did. We asked more than once to speak to Simone Seiler, one of the hotel managers, but that never happened.

Other than that we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a great location. We took the skiing package and everything worked smoothly. They work with a shop down the street that bring your skis to the hotel.

We noticed a huge improvement in the hotel restaurant compared to last time. Breakfast was great, we liked the fruits selection. We also dined there most of the evenings and were very happy. They offer a wide selection of quality food and superb service so we had no reason to dine around.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nano2008
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to share a comment about your stay at The Monte Rosa. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us in Zermatt. Please accept our sincere apologies about the confusion regarding the room you booked and unfortunately you couldn't have. Those things should not happen and we feel very sorry about it.

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

The room was large and well-appointed. The staff were super friendly and supportive (e.g. printing out lift tickets while we got changed to minimize lost time). Breakfast was excellent and had many choices. Little touches like a welcome bottle of wine also made it feel like a real treat.

Although there isn't a spa on the premises, it is ~100 m away at another very nice hotel. Also the prices were very reasonable compared to the rest of Zermatt, much better quality than another "4-star" hotel we tried there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I never have time to write reviews, but for this one I wanted to give my appreciation and thank the hotel this way. 4* with really big +! great attention to detail super helpful personnel, very nice breakfast, access to the spa just across the road. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends