“No other hotel in Zermatt has this combination of attributes!”

Chalet Hotel Schoenegg
Ranked #10 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Toronto, Ontario
“No other hotel in Zermatt has this combination of attributes!”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I have been going to Zermatt since 1971 when I first arrived to work there for a year and I have been coming back almost every year since, even when I lived in Whistler for ten years. This year I hope to go twice for skiing, once in May for ski touring and again in August to climb with my good friend Franz.

The Schonegg is a magical place. The new hotel replaced the original Schonegg which was at one time the only building in this whole area of Zermatt so the family back then was able to pick the first and best view location in the village. I don't know of any hotel that has all of the things that you need for a perfect stay.
1) Four Star (shoud be Five but as a four it attracts fewer of the "stuffy" older crowd".
2) A mid size, family run hotel that will give you the best personalized service you have ever had.
3) Owners that grew up in Zermatt so they can give you the best advice possible on where to go and when to get the best skiing, shopping, dining and hiking.
3) Gourmet dining with a fantastic breakfast selection.
4) Great spa.
5) A wonderful vibrant bar for after ski, before and after dinner.
6) A quiet library lounge with fireplace.
2) Ski right to the front door at the end of the day.
3) Two minute walk to the Sunnegabahn base (the best starting point to be close to)
4) Five minute walk to the main street, Gornergrat train station and main train station.
5) Sixty meters above the town ( Go to the main Zermatt web site to see the (Ober-
häusern web cam - this is the view from the hotel front deck)
6) An unobstructed view out over the town that is the best in Zermatt, with the best Matterhorn angle.
7) A private elevator and tunnel that take you up 60 meters to the hotel lobby from village level.
8) Well appointed and spotlessly clean rooms with a choice of traditional design in the main hotel, modern design in the new wing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hugh-Stockhorn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

An fantastic New Year holiday. The staff were all extremely helpful and the food was excellent value considering the standard and the effort the chefs had gone to. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel if your looking for a ski-in ski-out, half board set up that will have all of your needs catered for.

Room Tip: Ask for a Matterhorn view if available, though all are very good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Our family has just returned from a wonderful christmas in Zermatt. Three days of sunshine followed by three days of fresh snow, the skiing could not have been better. In addition to the superb skiing was the wonderful care and attention to detail of the team at the Schonnegg. We emailed from the train to Visp that we were arriving and were greated at the station by the porter and his electric bus to take us and the luggage on the short drive to the hotel. Our two rooms were well appointed and very clean and above average size for a European hotel room. While the bath is not marble and ultra modern it was quite suitable. One of our rooms was a matterhorn view and our kids, down the hall had a standard with one of them on the pull out sofa (there were less complaints than usual about the pull out).

The food is outstanding! We were half-board, each day the croissants were fresher than the previous day - if possible. Our waiters Luca and Rafaelle quickly learned what type of coffee we preferred in the morning and it always arrived promptly. Each five course dinner was special and although I wasnt always certain what I was eating, I was glad that the chef had put the combination together. For the kids, the chef was always happy to offer substitutions for our less adventurous, whether it was simply substituting a consomme for a cream soup with a scary name or substituting schnitzel for a main course.

Each evening we went to the small bar before dinner. It seems to be a locals hangout and one evening some of the locals gave an impromptu musical performance. Very special.

As soon as I pay off the second mortgage I had to take out for the trip, I will be back!

Room Tip: Our room was right above the bar with an outdoor patio. We enjoyed keeping the window open. Peopl...
2 Thank travelling_Doodle
Toronto
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The hotel is clean, with fantastic service and is perfectly located .
We stayed half board and loved it. The food is wonderful, and the kitchen was able to make substititions whenever we asked.
We travelled with our family of 5(3 teeneagers) and our friends(also a family of 5). We ate together at a table for 10 everynight in the lovely dining room. The servers(especially Luca) were patient, kind and professional.
We stayed in the older part of the hotel. The rooms are clean and lovely. I was concerned about the bathrooms as there were never images offered on line, but they are quite fine and functional. They are not beautiful but like everything in the rest of the hotel, extremely well kept and clean. If you are looking for more contemporary rooms this hotel does have a newer section that looks stunning. I had requested these rooms orignally but they were booked. In the end I was very happy with where we ended up.
we opted to pay a little extra for the materhorn veiw room. It wasnt an larger then the other room(where my kids stayed..without the view at a lower cost) but the view was perfect. I was thinking on days that were quite overcast that I might have made a mistake, since on these days the materhorn wasn't visable; but then on new years(when we were able to see the amazing fireworks display over the village from our balcony), and on clear evenings and mornings, i realized i made the right choice!! The view took my breath away!!!
The one thing that makes this hotel so special is that it feels like home. All 10 of us commented on this at one time or another during our stay.
the hotel offers pick up from the train station that is fantastic. Our luggage came after us as we sent it along by swiss rail, and the hotel sent over someone to pick it up for us. I have never experienced such wonderful, friendly service at a hotel. We all truly appreciated our stay. Finally, I believe this hotel should be rated higher then most hotels in zermatt on trip advisor(definately in the top 10). I didn't ski and had the opportunity to really explore the village and surrounding hotels. The proximity to the lifts and buses, the view to the city, the proximity to the center of town, the food , the service, the cleanliness all seem to be above mosts hotels in zermatt.
Everyone else in our group skiied for the 7 days and commented as well on the wonderful location of this hotel. They were able to ski in several days right to the door. The sunnega lift is immediately adjacent to the hotel, which was fantastic. Just one note, on a windy snowy day, most lifts in zermatt were closed, the only one open was sunnega. Overall a perfect stay!!!!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We enjoyed our stay for one night during our Europe trip...we arrived late around 9 pm and the pick up is on time...everything is taken care of smoothly. They have even extended the restaurant so that we could have our dinner and we were so grateful as that was our only decent meal that day after spending long hours on train.

The room is small but comfortable and it has breathtaking view and the picture that I took there is the best from all of my Europe tour...simply magical especially if you wake up very early morning, it was just so so beautiful...

The restaurant has very warm and personal decoration and that was one of the main reason that I chose this hotel and I love the delicious food and it has such a lot of option for breakfast and they are always very helpful on whether you need anything else or not...

I didnot have time to check out the spa but am sure that it is fantastic too...just too bad that I couldnot make it...maybe they can extend the spa opening hour to later at night...just a thought...

I would definitely recommend this to anyone that is visiting Zermatt and would go back there again if I visit Zermatt again...

Room Tip: room with Matterhorn view
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My husband and I stayed for 10 nights in September. We were met at the station and taken right through the tunnel into the hotel. It was only a short walk from the hotel to the town with its apparently free elctric buses. Our room and bathroom were quiet and squeeky clean.Towels were changed twice a day if you wished but the service was discreet. The breakfast buffet was more than we could eat and the dinners were all the entertainment we needed in the evenings. Nouvelle cuisine was a new experience. It was always efficiently served and the waiting staff are the best I have met anywhere, never seeming to be rushed. The hotel manager chatted briefly at each table every evening [in a variety of languages].
As we were half board we did not notice the cost of the dinners, but found that eating lunch out was very expensive. We had read in other reviews that this hotel charged quite a lot for a carafe of tap water, which we drank every evening, so we expected to be charged for this when we checked out. In fact there is no charge at all. The hotel is impossible to fault. If I must find a criticism it would be that the duvets were too warm. But that is a matter of individual taste. Our stay was an excellent experience that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a Matterhorn view room. The second floor is perfect as you are on the same level as the fitn...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Schonegg, Manager at Chalet Hotel Schoenegg, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Dear Sir, dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your kind review in TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure for us to hear, that our guests enjoyed their holidays in the Schönegg.

For our team and for us, it’s a big motivation and we know that we can go on and try to keep our standard or even better –– improve it.

Just a small remark: Please feel free to ask the housekeeping staff for blankets and sheets instead of a duvet.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in Zermatt

Yours sincerely

Marie-José Metry-Julen
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Brill hotel taxi waiting at station for us to take us up to hotel, staff very helpful ,we stayed bed and breakfast and breakfast was very good hubby enjoyed the bacon and eggs,views from the terrace and our balcony was great.all in all excellent would love to go back for 5 days as we were only there for 3 days not enough time for what we wanted 2 do.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Schonegg, Gérant at Chalet Hotel Schoenegg, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear margaret186394

We thank you very much for your nice response! We always try to do our best to make our guests happy! Our collaborators extremely appreciate good comments on TripAdvisor. These comments keep our team motivated and ensure that they will not decrease the quality of service!

Best regards from sunny Zermatt