I stayed at the Antares hotel for a week and it was a mixed experience:
- The personnel are very friendly and try their best to be helpful
- The location is great if your main focus is on skiing (100m from the Matterhorn Express base station) / E-Bus terminal. The flip side is that if you also enjoy spending the evening in town, it's a +/- 15 minutes walk each way... (of course the possibility of hiring a taxi remains).
- The general aspect of the hotel is 'old-ish', and gives an impression of a time capsule to an earlier decennia (70's? 80's?), with carpets and furnishings praying for a refreshment and a slightly 'stuffy' feeling to the general environment. Obviously this is a question of taste... However the dysfunctional vintage radio / clock in the bed headboard, and the discolored, stained lamp-shade do nothing to dispel the feeling that this hotel has seen better days and would appreciate a caring hand.
- Cleanliness: The hair dryer and the TV stand were dusty when I arrived, and remained so until I left. In general though, it did appear that hygiene standards were met.
- My impression is that it is an operation running on a shoestring budget. A few examples: Everybody was very insistent that I should add the half-board to my reservation ("if you buy it now it will only be 30CHF per day, otherwise it will cost you 65"). The bathroom soap was only replenished when the initial bar had less than 1mm left and was left remaining in full view, empty bottles of conditioner / shower gel weren't replaced. And the last day I was actually asked to pay for the drive to the station (10CHF - to be prepaid at the reception!), with the comment that in any case this would be cheaper than a regular taxi (usual price 15 - 17 CHF...). I've stayed in numerous hotels in Zermatt (15+) and this was an absolute first (usually I just leave the hotel driver a similar tip)
- Additionally, if you do book here, beware of booking through various websites (booking.com, Zermatt.ch,...), as this seems to be a source of grief: requirement to change rooms during the stay (room planning optimizer!), reservation not transferred from booking web-site. This is why I only give an 'average' for service.
Will I return? Sadly, probably not, since this does not correspond to a 4* experience, rather an 'old-ish' 3* affair. However, with a deep-going renovation and a little inspiration from other hotels, this could be a gem of a hotel :)
In conclusion, tastes in hotels differ, but in my mind, this hotel sadly doesn't deserve 4* anymore
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Antares reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Antares Hotel Zermatt